Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 8-21-19 Birthdays!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge August 21, 2019

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we celebrated the birthdays of just a few of the fine musical artists who began their extant existence during the adventitious month of August.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows from this year are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Wahine U’I “ came from the historical document of our Birthday Boy’s musical legacy, Andy Cummings & His Hawaiian Serenaders, with Cummings on Guitar, Gabby Pahinui on Slack Key & Steel Guitar, David Nalu on Steel Guitar, Ralph Alapa’i on Ukulele, and Joe Diamond on Bass.

2. Our Birthday Girl Raiatea Helm performed the song titled “Hu’i E” on her superlititious CD: Sweet & Lovely.

3. “Down by the Shack, by the Sea” was taken from our August Birthday Celebrant’s selective CD: Don Ho’s Greatest Hits.

4. “Whee Ha Swing” was performed by our Natal Notable Ledward Kaapana found on the anthemic anthology: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters – Instrumental Collection (Volume 1).

5. “You Can't Lose a Broken Heart,” the duet recorded in 1949 by Billie Holiday and our Birthday Celebrant Louis Armstrong – who was actually born on August 4th although he said all his life that he born on July 4th – taken from the bulging German Box Set: Lady Sings the Blues.

6. “Texas Tea Party” recorded in 1933 by Benny Goodman & His Orchestra, featuring our August Birthday Baby Jack Teagarden on Vocal, Trumpet Lead and Trombone Solo, with Benny Goodman on Clarinet, Dave Cavanaugh on Tenor Sax, Jack Marshall on Guitar, Charlie Drayton on Bass and Sam “Baby” Lovett On Drums, rescued for us on the chronic compilation: Reefer Madness -- A Collection of Vintage Drug Songs, 1927-1945.

7. The Lucky Roberts and Andy Razaf composition: “Massachusetts” featuring our Birthday Celebrant Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Buster Bailey on Clarinet, Hilton Jefferson on Alto Sax, Dick Hyman on Piano & Organ, Milt Hinton on Bass, and Louis Burnam on Drums, found on the 1956 loverly LP: Maxine Sullivan & Her All-Stars -- Memories of You -- A Tribute to Andy Razaf.

8. “When Lights Are Low,” the 1936 composition by our August Natal Notable Benny Carter and Spencer Williams, recorded in 1967 by our other August Birthday Boy Tony Bennett, and included in his righteous retrospective: Jazz, with Conductor Ralph Sharon on Piano, Hal Graylor on Bass and William Exiner on Drums.

9. “How High the Moon,” written by Morgan Lewis and Nancy Hamilton for the 1940 Broadway revue: Two for the Show, recorded live in 1955 at Zardi’s in Hollywood by our Birthday Boy Oscar Peterson, taken from his collection: Perfect Peterson, ably supported by Ray Brown on Bass and Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar.

10. “If I Knew You Were There,” the song written by the unholy trinity of Joe Bushkin, Milton Berle and Buddy Arnold, sung by our Natal Notable Al Hibbler in 1950 and included on his ambient album: After the Lights Go Down Low, with the Billie Kyle Orchestra, including Billie Kyle on Piano, Shorty Baker on Trumpet and Tyree Glenn on Vibes.

11. “Mean to Me,” The 1929 song by Fred E. Ahlert and Roy Turk heard in a 1945 recording by our Birthday Girl Sarah Vaughan and fellow August Birthday Boy Charlie Parker on Alto Sax, along with Dizzy Gillespie on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Nat Jaffe on Piano, Curley Russell on Bass and Max Roach on Drums, found on the historical anthology: The Continental Sessions, Volume 3.

12. “Sent for You Yesterday (and Here You Come Today),” sung in 1937 by our Birthday Celebrant Jimmy Rushing, backed by fellow August Birthday Boy Count Basie’s Orchestra, including his Lordship on Piano, and also sharing a birthday this month, Alto Sax master Lester Young, uncharacteristically assigned the Tenor Sax, along with Harry “Sweets” Edison and Buck Clayton on Trumpet, found on the crisp compilation: Buck Clayton – Swingin’ With Buck.

13. “I Can’t Believe That You’re in Love with Me,” the 1926 song by Jimmy McHugh and Clarence Gaskill, found on the 1959 labial LP by our Natal Notable and flauntsome flautist titled: Buddy Collette’s Swinging Shepherds at the Movies. Joining him on flute were Bud Shank, Paul Horn and Harry Klee with John T. Williams on Piano, Jim Hall on Electric Guitar, Red Mitchell on Bass and Shelley Manne on Drums.

14. The 1940 song by Frank Loesser and Louis Alter titled “Dolores” performed on Tenor Sax in 1945 by our August Birthday Celebrant Ike Quebec, taken from his rigorous retrospective: Blue Harlem, with Dave Rivers on Piano, Napoleon Allen on Electric Guitar, Milt Hinton on Bass and J.C. Heard on Drums.

15. A melodic mélange of “Tupelo Honey,” which was composed by our August Birthday Boy Van Morrison, followed by “Angel” by Jimi Hendrix, sung by Cassandra Wilson on her azurial album: Blue Light ‘Til Dawn, featuring Brandon Ross on Guitar, Lonnie Plaxico on Bass, and Charlie Burnham on Violin and Mandocello.

Pages: 1 0 replies