Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Benbow Hut

Pages: 1 40 replies

B

Hey guys here is my home bar the I recently built in my detached single car garage. I will be posting some before and after photos. Hope you enjoy!

B

I added a Red Velvet curtain to help divide the space up.

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-04 10:22 ]

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-04 10:23 ]

B

Here are some photos of the construction of the hut. We built it out of 2x4s which we stained and distressed. We had originally drawn up plans but they quickly fell to the wayside as we started building.

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-04 15:13 ]

B

Very cool! Only thing I would change it to swap out that Coke for a Pepsi :lol:
Welcome to TC Admiral!

B
Benbow posted on Fri, Oct 4, 2019 1:36 PM

HAHA no way Coke is way better!!! Thanks for the welcome and the help getting into my account!!

B
Benbow posted on Fri, Oct 4, 2019 1:38 PM

Spiced up the area behind the bar with some LED color changing light strips.

B
Benbow posted on Fri, Oct 4, 2019 1:43 PM

Thatching installed with some extra decorations and seating.

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-04 14:26 ]

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-04 14:26 ]

B
Benbow posted on Fri, Oct 4, 2019 2:39 PM

Views of the space in front of the bar.

W

The Benbow hut is awesome. Lighting is everything.

H

Looks great. Love the mood from lighting.

Excellent use of the space!

C

Looking good! the two chairs in that last photo are phenomenal

Amazing transformation! Beautifully decked out and the roof over the bar is just stellar. Love the mood you're creating with the lighting.

B

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the Hut! Here is a photo of the "finished" bar.

Hi wow absolutely love that bar front! Well done.

B
Benbow posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2019 8:24 AM

Here is another farther back view of the Hut. There is an 18in puffer fish lamp in the back right that is giving off a bit too much light. Hoping to put an in line dimmer on it which should help the lighting.

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-08 11:28 ]

B
Benbow posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2019 8:37 AM

On 2019-10-05 20:21, Commodore wrote:
Looking good! the two chairs in that last photo are phenomenal

Thanks Commodore! They were a lucky score off craigslist got the 2 for $50. What I was more excited about was my bar stool find. I had been looking for months and stumbled across these 2 stools at the Long Beach Flea Market and could not pass them up. All the other stools I had been looking at were not half as cool and were asking bouble what I was wanting to pay.

J

Looks great!

Wow! What you've done with your available space is absolutely fantastic! I have to agree, both the stools and chair in there are top-notch and envy-worthy. Also love that hanging shell swag lamp!

B

Thanks Prikli Pear! To be honest I don't think I would even want it to be any larger it feels intimate and I can actually fit about 10 people pretty comfortably. The lamp was made by a buddy of mine who is quite skilled in tiki craft.

B

My dad bought me this 1950's public payphone. I am currently working on getting a landline set up so I can call my wife to bring me more RUM!!! I also scored this tiki on craigslist for $90!

[ Edited by: Benbow 2019-10-10 15:33 ]

T

Cool space! Now you need a secret door!

B

Lol no secret door but the space is behind a red velvet curtain!

Great spot
My tiki room is also a single car garage conversion
Good job
Love the colors

And
Don’t listen to Mad Dog Mike
Keep da coke
Pepsi needs a Pepcid chaser

Cheers

BB

Wow! That is quite the transformation!

B

The Benbow Hut was at full capacity this weekend! We topped out with 11 people! We had seating for 9 with 2 standing behind the bar.

The bar looks great. have a feeling you may be converting the rest of the garage soon.

B

Update coming soon. My wife and I have just bought a house in Old Towne Orange so the Benbow Hut will be moving to a permanent location!

[ Edited by: Benbow 2020-01-17 15:37 ]

B

Here it is. Mediterranean Revival built in 1923.

H

Love your new house and those great palm trees in the front, good luck and keep us posted.

B

Here is where the bar will be moving too. Space is about 3ft wider and 5ft longer than our original location inside the garage of our apartment. It is conveniently located right next to the hot tub!!!

Here are some other pics of the backyard.

Nice digs!

B
Benbow posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2020 3:57 PM

Construction on The Benbow Hut 2.0 is underway! It's new permanent home in our backyard. Progress photos coming soon. Here is a list of what needs to be done to the shed before we can start on rebuilding the bar.

[ ] Replace collar ties with hurricane ties
[ ] Redo flooring with plywood and linoleum
[ ] Install outlets
[ ] Install exterior insulation on the roof
[ ] Install rafter blockings
[ ] Weatherstrip double doors that open our to deck and hot tub
[ ] Install door on the garage entrance
[ ] Install sink

B

Has anyone used linoleum in their bars? Does it hold up well?

M

Alas, I have nothing constructive to contribute except that I'm looking forward to seeing version 2.0!

B

On 2020-03-11 16:44, MauiRose wrote:
Alas, I have nothing constructive to contribute except that I'm looking forward to seeing version 2.0!

I am also looking forward to version 2.0. The last version was in my apartment garage so I was pretty limited on what I could do, but now it will have a permanent home. I will be working on it this weekend and will have some updates soon.

B

Enjoyed the weekend by avoiding coronavirus and working on insulating the new bar. We insulated the outside roof to avoid messing with the aged look on the interior. We got the insulation, Fascia boards, plywood sheathing, and flashing installed but did not have time to get to the shingles that will be next week's projects.

Here are some shots of the shed before we insulated the roof.

Here are some shots of us workin hard.

Wow, that Med Revival home looks SWEET! And your yard layout, with the patio and hottub flanking the new hut location, that is just prime tiki real estate. I am so looking forward to watching you set up shop here. I expect you'll find that extra square footage quite handy and fill it up fast!

B

On 2020-03-16 20:19, Prikli Pear wrote:
Wow, that Med Revival home looks SWEET! And your yard layout, with the patio and hottub flanking the new hut location, that is just prime tiki real estate. I am so looking forward to watching you set up shop here. I expect you'll find that extra square footage quite handy and fill it up fast!

Thanks Jayme! Yes the extra square footage will be awesome. We are hoping to start working on the inner bar soon but coronavirus is really slowing things down at the moment!

B

We removed the collar ties yesterday and installed hurricane ties to keep the walls from falling down.

Before

After

Pages: 1 40 replies