Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco Mainlander sighting

Pages: 1 4 replies

R
RichC posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2019 7:47 AM

Hello Everybody,

I logged on this morning to share a link to a home listing in Lake George, NY that many of you would find interesting. Looking at homes on realtor.com is my wife's hobby, not mine; but I was recently curious enough about vacation home prices in the spots we stopped along a trip through New York state that I had a peek. The first home listed for sale in Lake George (a pretty tacky JerseyShore-esque lakeside resort within weekend distance of NYC) was a completely unspoiled (and crumbling) late 60s / early 70s pad with outrageous period features and furnishings. It was a true time capsule. Anyway, my eyes bugged to see this in about the 5th photograph:

I will admit that between the time I first saw this and sat down to share it in the forum I attempted to contact the realtor through email and the homeowner through the mail with an offer to buy. No replies. And now, alas, I don't even see the live property listing. The house was cheap and it was only a matter of time before someone saw the potential there.

I don't have any Witco and I'm not exactly sure how rare or valuable a Mainlander fountain is. My impression, though, is that it is a sort of holy grail of tiki furnishings. It was fun to spot one: even if it turned out to be "the one that got away".

R
RichC posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2019 7:56 AM

Just an update:

The house is off-market, but an archived listing on Zillow still has the interior photos: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-Old-State-Rd-S-Lake-George-NY-12845/32924047_zpid/?

Great catch! Wow, that house is awesome and has so much potential. Hope the new owners don't destroy it. I bet they did some major entertaining back in the day. Besides the fountain, there are Witco chairs and a lamp. They have Ficks Reed tables and chairs and great bar stools. Looks like at some point they cut out a portion of the bar to install a Kegerator. Who knows what other wonders have been removed or modified over the years. Would love to know what those diamond "frames" up in the rafters used to house.

Shame you couldn't get a line on what will come of the furnishings.

On 2019-10-05 07:47, RichC wrote:
Hello Everybody,

The first home listed for sale in Lake George (a pretty tacky JerseyShore-esque lakeside resort within weekend distance of NYC)

Lake George is also home to The Tiki Resort, a mid century hotel with a tiki theme and home to Ohana aka Luau at the Lake every year.

RichC, mahalo for a very cool post
Cheers

Pages: 1 4 replies