Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Long Delayed Bar Build

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

That pool setup looks amazing as does the rest of the build

The whole atmosphere around your build is so relaxing. Love the pool AND the bar.

Great to see updates again. I love a great build.

Would it be possible for a closer view of the countertops?

K

Thank you all for the Good Vibes. Building seems to go in spurts. Tired of hearing "shipping issues" when trying to get materials. Such is life today. After my self imposed delay/isolation, I'm accepting this won't be a Perfect Tiki Bar. Multiple plans (lava LED lighted lower bartop, embedded tiki/pirate stuff coutertops and others) dropped through the years. I've zero experience with epoxy, router, electrical, plumbing... The Bar will just Be what appears. It will never be "Done". Took time to accept this....

The pool coping, hot tub and waterfall was hand carved concrete. Had the walls touched up to match and a "love seat" added to the Paradise Tiki (holding up the patio roof) Props to Jeff Chouinard (Craved all my Tiki(s) Great Talent. That explains (in my noggin) the countertop Lava copper look. More of a Polynesion Black Lagoon. The Bar countertops are the Lava coming up from the pool volcano. And the Vampire Tiki in the yard... The Mai Kai (first visit at 11 yo) was a major influence. If I may Ref: basiccopper.com is the current source for acid etched copper sheets.

A couple of pix.... I suck at copper sheets/glue/plywood work. 2" rope will cover the copper buggery.

Walls, Tiki/LoveSeat, Countertop closeup.

Walls TikiLoveSeat RedWineCopper

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 09:20:12 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 09:22:20 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 09:22:52 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 09:24:15 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 09:26:21 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 09:26:50 ]

K

night45 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-06-25 21:08:42 ]

Looking great!

K

More work on the lower bar. Learned a thing to 2 about pouring Epoxy on warped boards. Lots of fun. Cut out the sink and ice bin spots.

PXL_20220629_173351362PXL_20220629_173449433PXL_20220630_154814090.MP

Should I try a second pour on the Sink countertop? Very thin epoxy on both ends...

T

I am no expert at the epoxy thing, but I think you need to build a dam or pool type situation where the epoxy pools on the bar top.

So sometimes they use clay or cardboard all around the outside and cut areas of the bar top to keep the epoxy on the bar top and get a thicker pour as epoxy will pool that way.

You are losing a lot around the edges.

Keep in mind you need to hide or remove the stuff you use as a pooling edge, like cardboard that you can sand or hide with trim after epoxy dries.

Your bar space looks great.

T

Never seen this before here they use a blow torch to get rid of bubbles. And tape on the sides to help with clean up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgUuUPkQFg

K
kala60 posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2022 6:41 PM

Good link. thanks. I have multiple things going against me with this poor. 2 layers of Plywood glue/screwed together should have been epoxied 2 years ago. delay cost me a bit a torque/twist of the top. Tough of use gravity when it's not level. Bamboo mat not level. I mis-calculated the sq inche reduction due to the cut out holes. Too much epoxy for this pour. I'll still use these on the lower work space countertop. Will be outside pool area. I doubt most will see the issues. It was a good first "training" run. The cooper claded Bar Tops should be easier. Fingers X'd.

This really is the easy part of the bar. Trying to level the bar ion a slooped pool deck. Tough.

Thanks for all comments.

K

Almost done with the Bar Tops Epoxy phase. I'm very impressed with the Epoxy and Varnish. 4 tops done and not One bubble. I haven't used a torch or Heat Gun. Very impressed. I'm a bit tired of the Wait to Cure time of Epoxy before multiple layers of Varnish. Has tied up my garage. Pic of Front Bar Top poured today. 4 layers of Varish for this one due to longest UV exposure location. Only the 40" side bar top left to do. WooHoo. The End is Near. 7footFrointBarTop

sweet

K

Well.... I'm just Slow. Almost Done...

almost3

Almost2

AlmostDone

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-12-10 13:19:43 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-12-10 14:15:04 ]

[ Edited by kala60 on 2022-12-10 14:16:04 ]

Looks beautiful! Can we get a closeup of the bar top?

H
Hearn posted on Tue, Dec 13, 2022 6:08 AM

Looks great! Love the bartop. I can relate to the challenge working with that stuff! Biggest issue is maintaining an equal humidity/temperature level for the curing process.

One question: Did you do that lava rock (around perimeter of house walls and pool). I'd love to know the product/process if you or anyone else could chime in....

Mahalo!

H
Hearn posted on Tue, Dec 13, 2022 6:08 AM

Looks great! Love the bartop. I can relate to the challenge working with that stuff! Biggest issue is maintaining an equal humidity/temperature level for the curing process.

One question: Did you do that lava rock (around perimeter of house walls and pool). I'd love to know the product/process if you or anyone else could chime in....

Mahalo!

K

From above Post: "The pool coping, hot tub and waterfall was hand carved concrete."

An Architect/Artist (Rodrigo from Bogata. Now lives in Orlando. Does lots of Disney World work) and 2 men operating the concrete part. 1 guy mixing, the other guy hauling 5 gal buckets to the pool site. Plop the concrete down. Rodrigo shaped and hand carved with all kinds of hand tools. Trowels to Dental kits. No rock is a duplicate. The Grotto/waterfall was planned at 5'x'5'x5'. Rodrigo had something larger in-mind. His work was way better. Just perfect. Brought him back a month later to tie the lava around the house walls and add the Love Seat just off the Paradise Tiki, corner of the house. I didn't know concrete could feel comfortable. Rodrigo is an Artist.

My vision: Lava flow comes from a distant part of the Island, over the Bar Tops (red bubbles/acid cooper) to the Pool/Grotto (Blue Lagoon).

This whole project have been cursed with a perpetual procrastination. I have all the parts/pieces. Just need to walk out and get started. Oh, add all new "tropical" plants around/behind the Waterfall. This winter's 24 degree nights, along with 2 weeks of 90+ heat in February (this is Florida?) wacked almost everything. Glad I pruned all my Plumeria last fall. Lots of new growth inside a spare bedroom.

More soon/later.... never can tell when the Go-Mode Strikes.

Kala60

Great to witness the revival of this Site. Long long Tiki!

[ Edited by kala60 on 2023-03-30 10:58:56 ]

Pages: 1 2 63 replies