Type:bar
Street:729 Vallejo St
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:94133
Phone:

Description:
Dive bar with very light tiki theme in North Beach

(Did a search and couldn't find an entry for this place)

Thank you Hawaii West for being Tiki Bar number 43 for me this year.

Let’s start with the positive. I finally got around to visiting this place. It doesn’t have a good reputation (reading bad Yelp reviews from upset patrons can sometimes be entertaining though) as being a good tiki bar or maybe even a good bar in general. Locals call this place very rough. The bartender is said to be bossy and rude. But, they have tropical drinks and a couple of tikis on the sign, so it’s on the list.

We left Bamboo Hut and were looking around North Beach for a place to get a bite. The one place a local pointed us to had a long wait, so we decided to Uber over to downtown. From where we were standing, I could see Hawaii West in the distance, just a block away. I told Terra (who was hailing our ride) to give me a minute to step in and check out Hawaii West with my own eyes. So I ran over there and stepped into … well, not paradise that’s for sure.

There was one patron in there (unlike all the other bars we experienced last night that were all packed). I looked at the cocktail menu and considered a Mai Tai, but I knew time was ticking and honestly I didn’t expect the Mai Tai to be very good. But, part of me does feel like if you step into a bar you should order. So I peered over the bar to look at their selection of rums. The only reasonable option I could see was Myers’s so I asked for shot. It was quickly delivered and quickly devoured, and then I left. Quickly.

Meanwhile, Alex took advantage of the lull to use the restroom. The restroom with no doors whatsoever and with dim light if any. I definitely got the unfriendly vibe from the bartender, too. So, yeah, it was really that kind of place.

Suddenly, Bamboo Hut didn’t seem so bad after all.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ztEwLA1lL/

Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/hawaii-west-san-francisco

Pages: 1 1 replies