Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Why is the pronoun "I" always capitalized?

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

Has been some talk about this, so here's the answer.
Funny the grammar cops never bust people on this one.

But then if people want to rip on you they will find any way they can to do it.

It is said by some that to use "I" or to capitalize "I" is thought to be one who only thinks of ones self, but then that comes from people who get pissed if they are not in enough tiki books.

Say "I" or say "i" but damn just post something worthwhile for a change, who cares about the way you post it.

Jane Abao, I've had 3 libraries in my lifetime.
Updated Sep 24, 2018 · Author has 1.5k answers and 3.3m answer views

"Why is the letter “I” always capital?
ANSWER: “I” that is always capitalized refers to the pronoun “I.” It’s the rule. Imagine if I were not capitalized, it would appear like a stray letter. The world would operate better if discipline is imposed in as small as writing this pronoun properly. There is no other motive but to encourage order."

''''''''AND'''''''''

Joe Devney, Professional writer and editor, Master's in Linguistics.
Answered Dec 10 2017 · Author has 6.9k answers and 11m answer views

"The first person singular pronoun in English is always capitalized solely for the sake of readability.
Language changes over time. This is one aspect of English that has changed in the last several centuries. The pronoun used to be pronounced differently in Old English, and spelled variously ic or ich. At that time it was not capitalized.
Eventually the word lost its consonant, and turned into simply i. The lower-case /i/ is the smallest letter in the alphabet, in terms of ink used and the space it takes up on the page: just a short, thin stroke and a dot. It can get lost, be easily overlooked, when it is in a sentence or paragraph. But the word itself carries a lot of semantic weight. It harms comprehension if the reader glosses over it.
So the scribes began writing it larger. Eventually, the custom became to simply use the upper-case /I/ to make it more visible.
It is not a proper noun. And it has nothing to do with English speakers being self-centered, which sometimes seems to be the thought behind this question. (I have answered it on Quora more than once.)"

Interesting indeed. Guess it never really occurred to me about the capitalization.

T

Yeah I always thought the whole Grammar / spelling police thing is kinda stupid.
people are posting on small phones and keyboards that don't always work right and many times they are tippsy or it's late at night or early in the morning, it's just throwing shade, so Aloha.

BUT I learned about people just finding any reason they can to rip on you if they don't like you from my one supper troubled sister that hated the fact that I owned the restaurant and she did not.
Plus she worked for me and owed me lots of money.

She died so unhappy.

You could give these people a Million dollars and they would be pissed that it was not wrapped right.

It would be best to post great tiki content on TC and leave the English lessons back at school.
I've known some very smart people who had terrible Grammar/ spelling.

Here are a few others who did not shine in the Grammar/spelling area,WINSTON CHURCHILL,ANDREW JACKSON,ALBERT EINSTEIN,ERNEST HEMINGWAY,(OLIVIA CLEMENS Mark Twain),AGATHA CHRISTIE.

Pages: 1 2 replies