Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Possible Anniversary drink recipe

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

On 2020-02-18 22:51, Hamo wrote:
-I do have a bottle of yellow label Lemon Hart that I've never opened

Off topic... In my mind, rum is meant to be enjoyed. Especially good rum. Regardless of rarity. You can't take it to the grave. I have a friend who's only got a few ounces of yellow label LH80 and he refuses to use it cuz he wants to preserve it, but meanwhile it's just oxidizing and going to waste. He should have made a couple last drinks with it years ago and enjoyed the hell out of them. I have a plentiful supply of red label Lemon Hart and one of yellow label 151 that I break out when I want something special. They're doing no good collecting dust. That said, if I were you, I'd break into that bottle you've got, but don't use it in something like a 2020 Swizzle where it will get buried. I forget what's specifically called for in that but I'm sure Hamilton 151 will suffice (my preference over modern day Lemon Hart). Try the old label LH in something where the rum will really shine like a DtB 151 Swizzle.

Hamo,
As you know....peoples tastes are all very unique....but, personally, I think the Vanuatu Sands is good as is. I think it actually is very alcohol forward, which is nice, to allow the flavors of the rum to come thru....but, I would say this is a slow sipping drink. Also, personally, I think it does better with the block of ice, instead of crushed. The first time I made it, I didn't have any block frozen, and with the crushed it seemed to water it down quickly.... but, these are my personal opinions, certainly, others might think differently. It's very interesting to me, mixology.....creating a drink that many people like, even though their tastes can sometimes be very different.

mikehooker,
The recipe for the 2020 Swizzle was inspired by the 2070 Swizzle, in which the name was derived by the rums going into it. So, in the 2020 Swizzle the rums used add up to 2020....kind of derivative, but, it was a thought that occurred and it's all for fun, so....

Mount Gay XO Est. 1703
Lemon Hart 151
Hamilton 151
El Dorado 15

I thought it would be better to use a different 151 to make the distinction,...seeing as how I needed the 151 number twice but, also, that I actually really like the different flavor profiles in both the Lemon Hart and also Hamilton. I actually tasted these rums as a blend before pouring the drink....and I actually like the blend :)

But Hamo, I do understand about the lack of availability....as we discussed before, I was shooting for something that was relatively easy to find in terms of ingredients....but, that's not always an easy thing to do, just within the area, some things are harder to find, let alone different states...or countries for that matter.

On 2020-02-19 11:30, PineappleWhip wrote:

mikehooker,
The recipe for the 2020 Swizzle was inspired by the 2070 Swizzle, in which the name was derived by the rums going into it.

Yes, I see that now. I'm getting my swizzles confused. When I wrote 2020 Swizzle, I was actually thinking of the 2070 Swizzle, which I have made before but don't really recall loving. But looking at the ingredients list now, I think in my mind I was actually referring to the Swanky Swizzle, which I believe was also a riff on the 2070, adding coffee and cinnamon. My personal favorite is Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle tribute version 4 from Atomic Grog. But sometimes I just love me a simple DtB Swizzle. By all means, do as you please with your old label LH151, but for me, I prefer to use it in drinks with fewer competing ingredients.

Now who all wants to be in this competition?

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2022 5:22 PM

The time for a 20th anniversary drink contest has probably past, but I wanted to follow up on an earlier post here where I hinted at another drink I was working on. You can find that recipe over in my drink thread.

[ Edited by Hamo on 2022-03-20 16:09:49 ]

I've kept this in mind, Mike, and today I finally opened my yellow label bottle and made a 151 Swizzle because PineappleWhip and Male_Ipo visited. It was a marvelous occasion. Thank you. There's a drink waiting for you (and any other TCer) when you visit Estes Park.

Pages: 1 2 52 replies