Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

shrunken ed'z - the bar that time forgot!

Pages: 1 18 replies

Aloha! Welcome to Shrunken Ed'z - The Bar that Time forgot!

INSTAGRAM @shrunkenedz

So I totally didn't mean to get bit by the Tiki bug, certainly not as hard as I have been, but I now have a fully fledged speakeasy on my hands! I wish to extend an invite to fellow Tikiphiles!

The story goes like this... My wife and I moved into our new apartment, and were fortunate to have a patio. The problem being it was just grey brick, cold and unwelcoming, it was like a prison cell. The prison cell was actually bigger than both our living room and kitchen combined... too big a space to waste! So I got thinking wtf can I do?

Enter my friend Dave. Yes, everyone has a friend named Dave. Dave and his girlfriend are big tiki lovers, they took me to Trader Sam's for my first ever Tiki bar, and then the following week we absconded to TikiLand Trading.

The gears started to turn and I thought why the heck not make our concrete calamity into a tropical adventureland retreat!

I started in August '19 and am still working on it today. But it's come together quite quickly and I'm proud enough to share the progress with friends... and now as it gets more and more layered I'd be happy to invite the Tiki community down for some select events!

Dying to meet all of you! Dying for any critiki feedback!

See below photos for steps I took and some of how it looks now!

Best Regards,

Edward Bartholomew Rosenfelt

///

[ Edited by: SHRUNKEN ED'Z 2020-02-06 16:24 ]

K
kala60 posted on Wed, Feb 5, 2020 5:55 PM

That's an awesome build. It looked like the area above was open to the sky when you started. What did you do to that area?
Kala60

Welcome to Tiki Central Shrunken Ed'z! Nice big space, looks great

M

Looking great! I'm very intrigued by those green vines edging the lauhala.

On 2020-02-05 17:55, kala60 wrote:
That's an awesome build. It looked like the area above was open to the sky when you started. What did you do to that area?
Kala60

Hi Kala! Yes it was all open, plenty of 2x4's to make a veranda, then nailed particle board on top of that. Then on top of that I installed corrugated vinyl roofing. The biggest issue was the pitch to make sure the water shed down to the back wall, and then I had to install a gutter system that butted up against said back wall! Big project! And it really got tested as 3 weeks back we had some mega storms in SoCal that hit us with many inches of rain! First time the bar got soaked, then had to take all the roofing off and redo it. Then we had even bigger down poors... and it survived! Thanks to some friends of mine its now pretty darn water tight, especially for an outside space.

Thanks for your comment and interest! Hit me up on instagram @shrunkenedz and DM if you are in the neighborhood :wink:

On 2020-02-06 11:12, MauiRose wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, I have a 'Jungle Corner' with 2 chunky bamboo sofas, where the weave mat makes way for vines and leaves, and I've even got a volcano water feature there. Will post some more photos of that when it's working. Got a crack that needs repairing before I fill with water again (yup, found out the hard way after moving it in! Weighed a ton!)
See below pic of a bit of the jungle corner that eeks onto the Tiki Wall! Please follow me @shrunkenedz on instagram! feel free to message me if you are ever near Torrance/Lomita!

On 2020-02-05 18:02, MadDogMike wrote:
Welcome to Tiki Central Shrunken Ed'z! Nice big space, looks great

Aloha MadDog! Yup, it's not bad! Rockin in at about 13ft x 25ft I think! Happy to trade messages and arrange a tiki night if you follow me @shrunkenedz over on Instagram!
Cheers!

On 2020-02-06 11:12, MauiRose wrote:

Thanks! Sorry this reply was meant for you, pasted below, haha! Been a while since I've used an "old skool" forum like this :P ... Loving it though! And thanks for the warm welcome everybody!!!

Heard a lot about Tiki Central so nice to finally be a part of your community!

Quote:

On 2020-02-05 17:55, kala60 wrote:
Kala60

Hi Kala! Yes it was all open, plenty of 2x4's to make a veranda, then nailed particle board on top of that. Then on top of that I installed corrugated vinyl roofing. The biggest issue was the pitch to make sure the water shed down to the back wall, and then I had to install a gutter system that butted up against said back wall! Big project! And it really got tested as 3 weeks back we had some mega storms in SoCal that hit us with many inches of rain! First time the bar got soaked, then had to take all the roofing off and redo it. Then we had even bigger down poors... and it survived! Thanks to some friends of mine its now pretty darn water tight, especially for an outside space.

Thanks for your comment and interest! Hit me up on instagram @shrunkenedz and DM if you are in the neighborhood

[ Edited by: SHRUNKEN ED'Z 2020-02-06 16:20 ]

BB

That is a superb build! Way to transform the space.

H
Hearn posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2020 5:42 AM

That tiki table base is awesome

On 2020-02-09 04:11, Bam Bam wrote:
That is a superb build! Way to transform the space.

Thanks Bam Bam! Means a lot to get some great feedback! I can't imagine life without this anymore! Well... I can, it would just be far less vibrant!

On 2020-02-09 05:42, Hearn wrote:
That tiki table base is awesome

I know, right?! It was clearly destiny. I managed to get the tiki before hand, but hand't even planned having the table... then voila. He fit perfect and is plenty sturdy enough as a base support! So happy! Thanks for the reply and please give me a follow on Instgram if you have it @shrunkenedz :)

K

What did you seal the Bamboo wall matting with?

Kala60

On 2020-02-11 18:49, kala60 wrote:
What did you seal the Bamboo wall matting with?

Kala60

I wanted a darker antique kind of look, little orange, caramel sort of color to match the bamboo. Closest I found that I was happy with was 'Red Oak' wood stain. Went on fine. Look great IMO. Once dry, I then went over it again with a waterproofing solution for wood. Came in a big 5 galon tub. Its pretty water tight in my bar now (patio, backyard) so i did it more as precaution to make it last a bit longer against the precipitation/condensation/air moisture, as morning can be pretty damp here in the south bay close to the ocean with the thick marine layer.

Great job turning it into usable space! I could see me having a drink....or 4 there.

On 2020-02-25 07:33, littlegiles wrote:
Great job turning it into usable space! I could see me having a drink....or 4 there.

We encourage new tiki friends to Uber out here :wink: If you are in the area or feel like making the trip then contact me on our Instagram @shrunkenedz and we'll be happy to have you check the place out!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 26, 2020 8:37 PM

On 2020-02-26 14:13, SHRUNKEN ED'Z wrote:
We encourage new tiki friends to Uber out here :wink: If you are in the area or feel like making the trip then contact me on our Instagram @shrunkenedz and we'll be happy to have you check the place out!

Hmm, I'll be in LA in April....

On 2020-02-25 07:33, littlegiles wrote:

Anytime! Hit me up with a DM on Instagram @shrunkenedz when you wanna swing by :wink:

Great to see you on TC, Edz! Loving the transformation of your space, and everything you're sharing on IG. The Wife is wanting to make a getaway to SoCal in the next year, so maybe we'll hit you up if we get out there!

Pages: 1 18 replies