Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Truman

Pages: 1 6 replies

S

Harry Truman's legacy as an American President is coming up, given the war in Ukraine and the world crisis that is ensuing. Coincidentally, Tiki Farm recently released a Truman Tiki Mug to honor his admiration of Tiki/Hawaiiana/PolyPop. They sell a version of the mug at the Truman Presidential Library gift shop.

Truman was the catalyst for talks (held in the Pentagon), that led to the formation of NATO and the U.S. as a founding member. This is what Truman said about the treaty after ratification:

"BY THIS TREATY, WE ARE NOT ONLY SEEKING TO ESTABLISH FREEDOM FROM AGGRESSION AND FROM THE USE OF FORCE IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC COMMUNITY, BUT WE ARE ALSO ACTIVELY STRIVING TO PROMOTE AND PRESERVE PEACE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD."

Harry S. Truman, President of the United States, 24 August 1949

Truman has a mixed record as history judges U.S. Presidents. Of course the fateful decision to drop Atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is probably his most scrutinized decisions.

H3003183

[ Edited by SoBeTiki on 2022-03-18 09:24:34 ]

Very interesting, thanks for posting this information!

Thanks for sharing this cool bit of history. I had no idea that Truman had an affection for tiki/Polynesian pop, so that just further raises his stock in my book. Just looking at that mug without any cues I don't think I'd have made the connection, but knowing that it's supposed to be Truman the recognition is instantaneous.

T

There is a new book out about the secret service detail on who served and what presidents and their wives were good and not good to the agents and others.

I guess form this book at least Truman liked women a lot. His wife even caught him liking a secretary once.

Another interesting (and important) connection. Thanks for sharing.

T

Ha! I guess it is a trivial fact but then that's what we do to pass the time in Ohio waiting for the sun. Sorry, I like trivial nonsense more than others.

Great mug.

Pages: 1 6 replies