Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central 2.0 - The Beta / Changelog

View count

Pages: 1 12 replies

S

Any reason why TF 2.0 doesn't show the number of views a thread has gotten? Very few people comment and/or leave an emoji so it's hard to know how much traffic any particular thread receives.

Any reason why TF 2.0 doesn't show the number of views a thread has gotten? Very few people comment and/or leave an emoji so it's hard to know how much traffic any particular thread receives.

Yep… I didn't re-implement it. View counts aren't very accurate given the bots, crawlers etc. I guess I could have checked if the user was logged in which would have partially addressed the issue.

Referring back to the original goal of getting the site up and running… view counts were not part of that goal.

Changelog is generally for announcements not questions… so I'll delete this post in 24hrs.

S

What do you mean by crawlers? Lurkers? I NEVER signed in unless I was posting to my own thread or there was something specific I wanted to comment on, so in that sense I was always a lurker myself (which most people are, many don't even bother signing up for an account). Ignoring the bots, it's the lurkers that increase the view count.

And I didn't think this question was a bug/issue, that's why I posted it here.

S

What do you mean by crawlers? Lurkers? I NEVER signed in unless I was posting to my own thread or there was something specific I wanted to comment on, so in that sense I was always a lurker myself (which most people are, many don't even bother signing up for an account). Ignoring the bots, it's the lurkers that increase the view count.

And I didn't think this question was a bug/issue, that's why I posted it here.

T

I know this will go away but the thing about view counts in the past there were some people that were so into showing that people were looking at their threads that they and their friends would click back and forth over and over to falsely drive up the view count of their thread.

It is a kinda pathetic need for in that case false attention, but it was done a lot.

A true thread view count would be nice to have one that would allow the loading of false numbers that is.

Do loves tiki though.

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-04-11 04:09:13 ]

I thrilled to have TC back. Thank you. To show it, I've been contributing to my thread. I'm pleased to have any response. I use to get a lil more & wondered if nobody is paying attention or I'm putting dum stuff up. So, I looked for the view numbers. That's my input. Hope it helps.

T

Yeah, when you get no response on yer posts is does feel like you are doing it all for naught. I do check your posts out for what it's worth one of the better threads yours is.

T

Sad thing is if we had a thread count today one of the most hits would be on the "photo association" thread.

He means web crawlers. Things like Google and Duck Duck Go bots and other automated web search critters that scour the interwebz to index pages for search engines.

That's why I asked. No point posting if nobody is looking.

I'd say 100,000 page views in a month is pretty good engagement.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 9.43.44 pm

Impressive, to say the least.

3vab posted on Thu, Apr 14, 2022 11:54 AM

--

[ Edited by 3vab on 2022-09-25 11:15:59 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies