Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

"Oceanic Arts" Art Swap 2022 - Ends 7/23

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

The last couple years we held the Art Swap on Facebook while TC was dark but it's time to bring it home!

Tiki Oasis is scheduled for 8/3 this year, let's end the Swap on 7/23. If any of the Swap pairs are both attending TO, that will give them time to arrange a meet-up in person.

We have tried doing themes and not doing themes with varied results. This year Mauka Hale and Hamo suggested we do an "Oceanic Arts" in honor of the recently closed "Oceanic Arts in Whittier CA. Make something inspired by this catalog. https://www.peekaboogallery.com/oceanic-arts-vintage-tiki-collection-auction/ https://web.archive.org/web/20210622075258/http://oceanicarts.net/

It's a broad category, you should be able to find something to inspire you

Official Swap Rules - Artists create an work of Tiki art. Can be any media; clay, wood, paint, fabric, beads, digital, metal, glass, mixed media, etc. The intent is for this to be an original "one-off" work of art, not part of a mass produced run. If it is created from an existing mold it should be heavily modified. Digital art or screen prints should be printed on a nice substrate, not just run off on a piece of art pad paper. You must post a picture of your finished piece by the deadline in order to be included in the drawing, anyone who does not show evidence of a finished project will not be included in the name drawing. Names will be drawn at random and paired together, these people will swap art. Remember that you will probably ship your art to your partner, don't make anything so large or heavy that it cannot be shipped cost effectively (We have even had non-US Swappers) If you are not an established Swapper and/or established TC member, I will ask for real name and cell phone number so we have a solid contact in the event of a problem. Most of all, have fun and interact with some fellow TC folks

Done so far - Joshua Bell, DanLovesTikis, MadDogMike, David Ray, Hang10Tiki, TikiAno, CY, MaukaHale

In progress - Hamo

Expressed interest - TikiG, AlohaStation

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2022-07-20 16:40:46 ]

H
Hamo posted on Tue, May 24, 2022 9:30 PM

I agree that a bit of "restriction" actually helps creativity, so I would have suggested something like "the return of TC" or the like.

Let me cogitate. Hopefully, there are lots of participants this year.

Yeah, I haven't been in much of a creative mode lately. I'll have to come up with something too!

How about a celebration of Oceanic Arts?

Yes, thank you--that was the other one I'd thought of before, but it'd slipped my mind when I came to post.

Is the catalog to the Oceanic Arts auction still available online

The internet never forgets. Well, mostly. But here's the 2021 snapshot of the site/catalog.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210622075258/http://oceanicarts.net/

I love the OA idea. Not sure if I'll be able to contribute since I'll be on the road in July.

Yes the online catalog book is still online:

https://www.peekaboogallery.com/oceanic-arts-vintage-tiki-collection-auction/

John

I like the OA idea too. We went there years ago and took so many photos that Leroy asked, who are you? I said I'm the wife of the guy at the cash register buying a whole lot of things. He then said continue taking all the photos you want! So, I can reference them.

When will you decide the topic for sure?

Let's do it! There has got to be 2 or 3 thousand items in that catalog, surely everyone can find SOMETHING in there that inspires them! (Hopefully that catalog will remain online for reference)

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2022 7:42 PM

Cool, cool, cool. Thanks, Mike. This also reminds me to pull up the pictures I took during my 2017 visit. Better get cracking....

Well I better get busy. It will be a fun one for sure. Thank you MadDogMike for running another swap! Wendy aka danlovestikis

S

Kinda wanna contribute but the price of international shipping sucks.

Yeah I get that Swizz. Sorry, why do you have to live so far away? LOL

Ah Swizzle.

I started mine today. I picked out a tiki from the new book out on them. Time to get to work.

Not to speak for other swappers, but if I were to swap with you, I would gladly offset shipping.

The flat rate US to Australia for a 2 pound box is about $19 while a flat rate Los Angeles to Boston, MA is about $14. Although it would take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver the cost is not that much more.

T

Just got a few mags from England and the shipping was 30 some bucks!

Now you can get almost anything sent from China for next to nothing, what's up with that? Maybe that has changed.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2022 9:56 PM

I was looking through past Art Swap threads and found this post by MaukaHale.

I took a Visual Inventions class for my liberal arts core in college, and one of my favorite projects was linoleum printing, so I think I'll do something in this medium. I need to take a trip down the mountain this weekend to pick up some supplies from Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

T

All right, Mad Dog, I (finally) made it back. I don't know where I've been, and I certainly don't know where I'm going-- but I'm in for this Swap. Love the theme.

Wendy, I love your OA story. I don't know if I took lots of photos my first time to Oceanic Arts, but I remember walking around with my mouth open. I have bought numerous items from Bob and LeRoy over the years. Bummed I missed the recent parties. Time to stare down some of the wall hangings and the large resin Moai I bought there (a long story for another time) and get inspired!

Cheers to all.

And what are the dimensions of that flat rate box? I've been buying from the US for nearly 20yrs now and sending there for just over half that time so i've gotten used to the prices. The problem is, over the last 4/5yrs or so the cost from the US to AUS has gotten more expensive and is actually more expensive to send from there to here compared to vice versa. It was never like that.

Here, if one person can lift the box comfortably then the size of the box makes no difference, you pay according to weight and it jumps up in 0.5kg increments (approx. 1lbs). If you're sending from there to here, and not using a flat rate box, the price, in my experience, varies WILDY.

My concern with joining this swap is not how much it will cost me to send there (i'll make something that i know won't cost me an excessive amount to send), rather, how much it might end up costing me my swap partner.

Swizzle, you probably know better than I do. I just did a quick search to find those rates. It may have been out of date.

T

I had fun browsing through the OA auction catalog, unfortunately still without a kiln, so I will be working with a router again, inspired by the red & white printed piece (not by Bob or LeRoy, not sure if that's okay?) Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 10.08.24 PM

or working on a wooden mask paying homage to the mask on the right: Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 10.06.05 PM

(also, if this works it will be way easier to attach photos than in the old TC days...)

UPDATE: it IS way easier to upload photos in TC 2.0. Wow.

[ Edited by TikiAno on 2022-06-10 12:55:45 ]

Okay, I'm in for the swap. I started by project today.

IMG_6761

IMG_6764

IMG_6765

In... if I can get this done by Friday when I head out of town until after the swap ends.

47BB0692-0D69-4885-A85E-F738D1D7FD36

9C074FFD-FBB9-42CF-A5E3-2C46D681B59D

Progress!

86A553E3-2009-4878-83FC-F3E7948FB31D

T

MaukaHale, looking great!

Joshua, you can do it- and love it already.

Mad Dog, looks like the ol' gang is getting back together??

TikiAno WHOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2022-06-13 09:02:56 ]

"not by Bob or LeRoy, not sure if that's okay?"

We have never been strict with the theme, if it was listed in the catalog that's good enough for me!

Maukahale and Joshua are out of the starting gate and in the lead! Both look great. Josh I home you are able to finish this week, looks like you have a great start!

TikiAno, yes it great to have the group back together :)

So it has to be something that was in the catalogue? What if you don't own that? (I do, but others may not).

Swizzle, there is a link to the catalog in the first post. Hopefully that link will remain good until the end of the Swap. At any rate, we have never strictly enforced the theme.

Haha. I should probably pay more attention. I was just going by the title of the thread and was thinking it was just anything to do with OA.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jun 13, 2022 8:24 PM

Awesome--things are happening!

Except not here, yet. I ended up helping a friend with some moving this weekend, so I didn't make it to a hobby shop to get supplies.

I just got a chance to looks through the OA catalog. WOW! What an amazing resource!!! I need to buy one but the price is a bit steep, maybe I can get my wife to get one for my upcoming birthday? LOL

I think I am going to try this canoe as a mug. Ceramic canoe about 11-12 inches long (my kiln max) with a wooden stand. Will be a bit challenging as it will require a double wall design but it looks like fun :D OA Page 48a

Done! Cardboard, glue, stain and shellac.

81ED7B8D-945B-4BC8-A1D5-4B204D31F1A7

My impression of the "New Guinea Shield", a staple decor item. Maybe it symbolizes the long partnership of Bob and LeRoy. Or maybe it's just a shield, who's to say?

I won't be able to mail it out until the start of August, unfortunately.

Looks great Joshua! That's the Oceanic Arts logo on his chest right? How big is it? No problem with the late shipping, we can adjust.

T

Joshua, looks awesome! Fantastic work, once again!

To quote Hang10, "send to San Diego"!

Time to get my hands dirty!

Made a 2x4x12 inch Styrofoam block and carved it into a canoe form 20220617_180850

Covered the form in 2 layers of tissue paper to smooth the rough surface of the Styrofoam and to keep the clay from sticking. 20220617_201823

3/8 inch slab of clay rolled out 20220617_201827

Clay slab shaped over the Styrofoam form. Now to let it harden a bit 20220617_202628

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2022-06-17 20:38:11 ]

Some texturing on the outside to make it look like it was hewn with a primitive adz. This texturing will look cool when glazed. image000000

A platform added to the bow and stern, this will give a place to mount the crocodile and lizard. Technically, the inside should be textured too but a smooth surface is more food and drink friendly image000002

Go Maddoggy, go!!

GROG, it's not too late for you to join in... ;)

I was always too lazy or busy before, and that hasn't changed.

LOL

Not to besmirch Leroy's artistic abilities but both the crocodile and the lizard are kinda stub-tailed reptiles LOL OA CrocodileOA Lizard

So I attached a stubby-tailed lizard and crocodile image000001 image000000 (1) image000000 image000001

Now to clean up details as it dries

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2022-06-18 05:41:14 ]

Yep, OA logo. 17" x 10".

Thanks Joshua. Enjoy your time away from home. Vacation I hope

Wow guys this looks like another fun swap in the making.

I couldn't find my OA photos so I went to the new book. I looked through the photos and found a tiki I really like. I'm a painter now so I will do a black velvet painting of this tiki. Cheers, Wendy

0 (1)!(/uploads/251/62adfaf36c56c.jpg)July Swap on Tiki Central (3)July Swap on Tiki Central (4)July Swap on Tiki Central (5)July Swap on Tiki Central (6)July Swap on Tiki Central (7) The story of the tiki. 0 (4)

[ Edited by danlovestikis on 2022-06-18 09:23:05 ]

[ Edited by danlovestikis on 2022-06-18 09:24:48 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies