Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

O'Ghoulihan's Fugu Lounge, Northern VA

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

Wow - what a score!

Fantastic job you have, Enjoyed seeing the progress especially your use of EVA foam

Thank you!

M

The witco bar is cleaned and waxed. Not much work needed to be done to get it looking good. The stools each had a spot where a dog chewed it a little- sanded that down and it’s barely noticeable. Steamed the cushions, looks a lot cleaner than they did. We might reupholster at some point, but that isn’t in either one of our skill sets.

9330FE5F-D03A-4D4D-B5C8-ABEED68A6F7B9F61576E-9CF4-47D7-A11A-E8BE340564489F40954E-C1E4-4674-8E5B-371FD501AE3B

T

Certainly an impressive piece!

Absolutely incredible!

This is quickly turning into one of the most exciting DIY threads.

Nice Witco find and restore, too. (Yes, Howard's Feed n Wax is the thing to use. Only other thing we'd ever use on Witco is what TIKIDAVID recommended, Cabot Australian Timber Oil).

Especially love the ceiling work and the way you hid the projector. (No, wait, no 'especially' about it, we love it all!) What's the projector connected to? Our live feature wall is powered by a projector that's plugged into a laptop, but in order to ceiling mount the projector and free up space, we're looking for a more compact solution than a laptop wired into it with a three foot cord.

M

Thanks Mike and Marie! Our projector is connected to an Apple TV- we will occasionally watch movies in the lounge. Not sure that’s a good solution for you though. If you’re playing a custom file of sorts, a type of media player might be best. But I can’t say for sure.

Appreciate your kind words as well. We do have some upgrades coming in the near future that I’ll post here!

S

There was a lot to take in over those three pages but all of it was great stuff. That's a great looking room you've got going on there.

M

Thanks swizzle. It’s been a lot of work but a lot of fun.

Just ran across this thread and it is so super awesome.The results look great. Wish I could see it in person.

GROG, if you’re ever in the DC area you are welcome to visit. Just let me know!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2023 5:34 PM

Congrats on the bar--it looks amazing.

Can the rest of us come with GROG...?

Absolutely! Hamo, the more the merrier.

M

We were lucky once again to procure another Witco piece locally. I think our luck may have run out… Also gave the closet doors an upgrade. Thin foam for wooden ship doors and foam portholes. This is a little more work, but I much prefer it to the door stickers we used previously.

IMG_1838 IMG_1654IMG_1865IMG_3874

M

Another tiki carving from foam. Turned out pretty good and is at least better than the party store stuff. Sort of a mash up between a tiki we saw at Trader Vic’s and some of Tiki Diablos work.

IMG_1928IMG_1906

Really great build, loving all your foam creations!

Much appreciated. Thank you! This thread died down a bit. We did create a sort of ghost ship wall out of foam a few weeks back. My IG in my profile is where we make most of our updates. Here’s a few pictures:

IMG_2204IMG_2206IMG_2223IMG_2224

You are one of the most creative, resourceful build artists I've seen on TC!

Thank you, that is very kind. We make a pretty good team over here most days!

A

Some really great, imaginative work on this home bar. Very impressed!

Thank you very much. Just when we think we’re finished, a new project seems to materialize.

M

Been a while since I’ve updated here. This past weekend we put together this window installation. Inspiration taken from the Inferno Room in Indy. XPS foam boards, Govee curtain lights, and a shower curtain. It seems to get the job done. We’re both pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_4195IMG_4197IMG_4198IMG_4202IMG_4204IMG_4207IMG_4206b

E

Maulrat your space is INCREDIBLE! You have a gift my friend. Amazing work on the door, lamps, walls and even the camoflauge of the projector was well done. I am impressed.

Thank you! The girlfriend and myself make pretty good team. Things are getting tight in that room, but somehow we find ideas to cram another project in.

Fantastic and very inspirational! I hope to post my stuff soon. You two have set the bar very, very , high.

Also how does one post pictures on this forum? I only joined today and I can't work out how to post images on this thread? Cheers anybody?

Hi, Cecil! - To add pictures, look below the white box where you type your text. There's a line below the big white box you're typing in that says:

Attach files by dragging & dropping or by clicking here.

If you click on where it says "clicking here," you can add a file from your computer/phone.

Cheers!

And - Dig the additions, Maulrat!

M

Thank you both bamalamalu and Cecil. Much appreciated.

N

Wow, you guys really have some crazy talent and ingenuity! It is amazing to see you start with such a blank canvas and then build it up to such a level of detail. Great ideas throughout to inspire. I also can't believe you gave up your primary bedroom for the bar -that's commitment!

Thank you! We’re really just need the bed to fit, and the larger was more suited for the lounge. Best decision we’ve made!

M

Here’s our sawfish rostrum made using XPS foam. There’s a reel on our Instagram showing the process. Basically this was carved from a single piece of foam using a Hotwire for the basic shape and lots of rotary tool work for the rest.

IMG_4848IMG_5114 C6C0AE8A-92A3-49D7-9BA6-E9EF8B2F83DAIMG_5424IMG_5423IMG_5425IMG_0699_OriginalIMG_0704_Original

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 15, 2024 7:58 PM

Man, if I'd started my own tiki space at the same time as you guys...I'd be 1/100 as far along and the same fraction of quality. Great work, as always.

N

Amazing! That looks very cool. All I've done lately to my bar is add more mugs, I gotta get back to work on it.

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies