Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Critiki is dead

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

Wow. That worked great. How long will it keep the site active?

Right.

I want to be clear - my criticism is not with the owner of Critiki. My criticisms are with the ideology that would encourage an owner to kill such a site. Humuhumu did much for this community and she is the owner of the site. That said, those who valued it and used it can and should discuss the merits of killing such a site. I continue.

As owner, the owner can place a post at the front that acknowledges any concerns. Killing the site says one message - despite the owner saying they still appreciate and value the tiki experiences of the last two decades - they really don't because if they did, they wouldn't have shot down the site.

This is from the owner's home website:

Critiki Critiki was an online database cataloging over 1,000 tiki bars and other Polynesian pop culture locations worldwide, past and present.

I created Critiki in 2002, and operated it for 20 years, until 2022. I collected and edited the content, and wrote all of the articles for Critiki News. Critiki's members contributed their images, ratings and comments.

"NO WHERE on this resume page of accomplishments does it mention the the owner engaged in encouraging cultural appropriation that ultimately harmed and victimized another culture."

Instead, it seems Critiki is mentioned as a major accomplishment rather than something that was so non woke that it needed to be killed and banished.

I am confused.

[ Edited by telescopes on 2022-09-13 14:46:37 ]

I would imagine for as long as the wayback machine exists.

Greatly appreciate all you have done to capture and represent the community-built info troves from Ooga Mooga, Critiki, and this site.

Both sides of this conversation have valid points but shuttering one site doesn't change history, just where we find it.

TM

I really don’t hold with the whole cultural appropriation thing. Yes, I get that it’s a “ cartoon “ version of something “ exotic “ but I don’t think there has ever been any intent to denigrate real Polynesian culture. I ask myself, what if someone made a themed bar based on my own culture? I don’t know that I would be offended seeing my culture reduced to the stereotype of windmills, wooden shoes and cheese.. because yeah, my mom does in fact have wooden shoes. And I love cheese..

Regardless, “ tiki” isn’t real. There is no “ culture “ to be appropriated. I just worry about the slippery slope of deciding only a certain culture can be involved in any cultural element. What next? No Taco Bell ? No Olive Garden? I just don’t like paving over things we disagree with.

Still, I can see the other side of the argument too. She did what she wanted to do and that’s how freedom works. She clearly wanted out. And that’s fine.

But I don’t think she ever needed to feel guilty.

The snowflake concept of "Cultural appropriation" is nothing but a made-up FAKE! (Just like everything the P.C. loonies go on about these days!) To "appropriate" something means to take and possess it completely so that the original owner can no longer have the use of it. How does this apply to Tiki? Tiki is NOT any particular culture, but a fantasy, a melange of so many imaginings. Do these same people refuse to eat off china because another culture came up with it? Or eschew paper? Olive oil? Sushi? You drink the Kool-Aid, you suffer the madness.

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2022-10-16 23:26:00 ]

didn't you know, now all restaurants are Taco Bell?

Can I have all of her tiki stuff?

Nope, she burned it all, along with her Kiss albums.

Check-in functionality has been added to https://mytiki.life/tiki-bars.

If you were a critiki user message me and I can help get a list of your previous check-ins.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies