Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki From Outrigger Apartments ( Rosemead/Pasadena) finally Erecting Soon but need Restoration help Please

Pages: 1 14 replies

Aloha ALL!

It's been a long time since I've been here......was a long time lurker and collector since 98.

I will finally be erecting the Classic "OUTRIGGER Apartment TIKI" but want to do it properly!

Can Sven, Ben, Spike or anyone else here please help with any archive pictures of how it looked originally in the early 60s? It had been painted a few times over the decades but I want it back to it's original look! It was bolted to a pole out front of the Apt. I am planning on digging a 2 ft. hole to fill with cement and drop a pole in it to re-bolt the tiki to ( it is in 2 pieces.)

I got some info from Leroy and Bob some years back, but will have to find. They told me that it was carved by another guy that worked at OA for awhile back in the day. I am so excited to have this landmark Tiki and also excited about your guys input! There is so much I want to do in honoring this Amazing Tiki but more to come later!IMG_0628IMG_0630IMG_0632IMG_0634IMG_0635

[ Edited by Outrigger Tiki on 2022-09-21 15:21:43 ]

[ Edited by Outrigger Tiki on 2022-09-23 08:30:03 ]

Very cool!

T

Way Cool tiki!

BUT it took YEARS to get that patina I would never redo the finish on that tiki.

The Kahiki repainted some of their tiki and it's not as good as an old, weathered look like you have here. Would kind of think about putting it inside though so it does not get any more weather to damage it. Don't think I would even put a protectant on it as it might change the colors.

Just my way of seeing it. Good luck!

I'm inclined to agree with Skip that it earned its patina and look that it's 100 years old. It would be tuff to just kind'a make it better, it would be all or nothing. It is most likely dry & brittle. Do too much & it will flake & fall apart. On the other hand, with palm I've been using Behr's transparent deck stains I paint the faux finish on it myself. look at the last bunch of palm guys I've done. One other thing, if you love that carving keep him out of the weather. He'll last a lot longer. He's most likely dry & light. See if you can hang him like a picture. Will Carve

Aloha Tikiskip & Will, Yeah, I am going to keep him as is accept maybe a little weather coating? Sven convinced me as well as you guys....totally makes sense, I don't know what I was thinking! He's gotta weigh around 500 lbs, and not sure about having him indoors. He's going to have to bear some weather like the one at Caliente Tropics in Palm Springs....I want him as part of my tropical landscaping plans. I have had him indoors since he was removed. Thanks again!!

I was thinking of doing a few coats of spar varnish, but do not want it glossy. Any recommendations from anyone will be appreciated! Thanks!

WC

polyurethane comes in gloss & mat finish. Go with mat.

I have a current palm caving project that I am putting Australian Timber Oil on. This is an oil-varanish blend. The thinking is that the oils penetrate to give some interior protection whilst the spar varnish component forms a protective surface layer. I'm planning on fresh applications every year. I've not much experience with this particular product but I've seen it recommended several places. I'll let you know in a year how it's holding up.

But I agree that you want to go with a matte finish. Gloss will just make it look like plastic.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! Will try soon and will keep you posted!

Was also wondering if the Thompson's would be good? I don't hear the Tiki World mentioning it, but sounds good too? Product details

For protection that helps Enhance and maintain wood's natural color, choose Thompson's WaterSeal Clear Wood Sealer. This clear exterior sealer, with a flat finish, provides complete outdoor wood protection while helping maintain the natural color of the wood. Prevent water damage with a coating that resists mildew and UV damage while providing a fade and scuff resistant color. Its oil-enriched formula provides long-lasting protection for all types of wood. Get easy-to-apply protection in just one coat. Thompson's WaterSeal Clear Wood Sealer, Clear, 1 Gallon

Durable Protection from Water & Sun Damage Year-Round Protection in Just One Coat Maintains Wood’s Natural Color Exceeds Industry Standard ASTM D-4446 for Waterproofing Wood Helps Prevent Water Damage Lab tested for Waterproofing Wood* Provides a mold-and-mildew-resistant finish Crystal-clear sealer and sunblock protects wood and prevents yellowing Applies to Freshly Cleaned Damp or Dry Wood error: We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer Specifications

Brand Thompson's WaterSeal

My opinion of Thompsons is equivalent to waxing a car. It will be good for a month or so but it's not a long term fix.

Cool, got it up off of the ground....ouch....he has to weigh over 700lbs. Next some real landscaping around him. Hopefully the Australian! Tiber Oil goes over the old paint nicely!thumbnail_IMG_1926

Incredible

Way cool, Man.

I have been researching a bit, and it looks like the Cabot Tiber oil will leave a semi-gloss finish (Natural/transparent) which I was trying to avoid. Maybe there is no way around that?

Thanks again

Pages: 1 14 replies