Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Much Moa to a Moa?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Seems there's a whole lot moa to a moa than we usually imagine.....

4ef1b5fb

CnoUQk9WEAAdIeV

Truly "go big or go home." Ha!

TIKIGIKI: too weird. I was just looking at the website where these images came from last night while searching for concrete Moai statues for my garden!

T

It is strange how the world has largely just gone with the "famous" image that is now above ground, ignorant of what has been buried by centuries of erosion. Most of the "tiki" moai you see used as ornaments or mugs seem to stop at the shoulders.

I think Thor Heyerdahl may have been the first Westerner to excavate a complete Moai. He documented and photographed it in his 1957 book "Aku-Aku". The color plate you posted at the top looks like it might have come from that book, but I just checked my copy and didn't see it in there.

[ Edited by MrBaliHai on 2022-09-26 14:48:18 ]

T

The actual size of the complete figure makes the shifting and placing of them even more impressive!

"The actual size of the complete figure makes the shifting and placing of them even more impressive!"

I thought you were talking about my girlfriend for a second there.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2022-09-26 17:03:45 ]

T

Apparently there is indeed...."much more"!

main-qimg-1c2fc952adeddae9d1d50cd4ca627df8-pjlq

T

The legend has it that the moai "walked" to their current positions from the quarry. Maybe they did? main-qimg-6de8d54b96e610bfc2c6fd9a2dff6d4d

Pages: 1 8 replies