Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New to site. Here’s one of my works in progress…

Pages: 1 11 replies

P

I use 10” and a 4” battery powered chainsaws, chisels and a little bit of sandpaper. 1E5CB5B6-F22B-4D3D-99C0-5D02FBC5EA519F4AFE85-9784-40C8-8DF7-85E32BAC5B7F46D014BD-9C20-4916-A865-8A379C5BD31E

T

I do like the incorporation of the natural splits of the wood into your work. Adds so much patina!

That guy looks great. That's how we do it here. Looks like you won't run out of logs any time soon. Every Tiki you carve is practice for the next one.

Will

U

Well done

Thank you for the kind words, Will carve! This site is a goldmine of talent and inspiration. I’m kinda new to carving - been casually collecting for a while and finally decided to dive in. I’m a printer by trade and it’s super satisfying to work in that third dimension for a change. 🤟🏽

@TIKIGIKI Thank you! I like to try and work them into the designs as much as possible...

[ Edited by Polecat on 2022-12-26 08:03:45 ]

Thank you! 🤟🏽

H

Polecat: if in fact the poles you are carving on turn out to be old telephone type poles…just remember to mask and goggle up when fooling with it. Sanding and burning is “danger Will Robinson !” Most electric companies and those who have used said poles in the past won’t let the public take them home anymore for fear of being sued for bad health concerns. Best to get your logs before man has tainted them with cancer juice. I like the way your carvings are turning out. For just starting out it looks like you’re a “duck to water !”

T

Some poles are still treated with copper compounds that can be dangerous to health. Older ones may even contain arsenical treatments aimed at discouraging termites and the like.

P

You called it. My first three carvings are sections of an old creosote (not copper arsenate) treated power company pole they left in my field after replacing it. I carved them to live outside on the property and figured they’d last forever. I did a quick search before I started, and it seemed like from what I read the danger was more about long-term exposure. But reading your reply I did a deeper dive today. I won’t be seeking out more old power poles!

It’s a shame because the natural splits and the deep chocolate brown color of those old poles really lend themselves to the aesthetic. But of course, it isn’t worth the health risk. I have some poplar and locust logs to work on next. I’m looking forward to discovering ways to stain and waterproof the natural logs AFTER they’re carved. Hopefully I can replicate the effect. Suggestions are welcome…

Thank you for your concern and guidance. This is certainly one part of the value of these forums, and why I jumped on here so quickly. Happy new year to everyone. I’m off to make a round of Painkillers! 73BEB4C9-5D6E-410F-B8BE-60A68E2F4A9BE154A0A3-11AE-4D55-A614-A0B89F209CEF

[ Edited by Polecat on 2022-12-31 14:54:55 ]

[ Edited by Polecat on 2022-12-31 14:58:04 ]

Lookin good

Lots of wood in the background

Cheers

Wow, you sure didn't start out small! It would be fun to see your in progress steps too. Welcome, danlovestikis aka Wendy Cevola

Pages: 1 11 replies