Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Working with bamboo?

Pages: 1 3 replies

M

I just built my Tiki bar. I want to outfit it with some bamboo trim. I've enver cut bamboo before, Is there a particular technique or type of saw blade? I'm thinking of butting a 90 degree wedge out, along the length of the pole, to place on the corners of the body of the bar (virtically). Is that possible? Also, can you nail it or should I use some type of glue to attach the bamboo?

[ Edited by: mriddle on 2003-09-06 23:49 ]

I choose to nail it. The stealth technique is to use a small countersink drill bit and drill your nail holes along each "joint" in the bamboo. The next trick is to buy colored nails to blend with the color of the bamboo. I used this technique on my black bamboo installation with excellent results. See below. Keep in mind that these pics were snapped about 4 inches from the object. When you stand back about 2 feet, they almost dissappear

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-09-07 00:46 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-09-07 00:46 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-09-07 00:48 ]

When cutting it into shorter lengths, I found it is best to take masking tape and wrap it around the pole. Then mark your cut line on the tape rather than the bamboo. While cutting it, the tape will end up on both pieces of the pole, and keep it from "splintering" or "fraying" at the edges. I used my skillsaw with a wood blade.

I also have been known to take my cigar lighter or a really hot torch and scorch the ends of the bamboo for a cool dark look.

As far as attaching, I used deck screws on most of my bamboo (outdoors use), which were a tan color. I also used Jute string to cover every screw, so not one single nail or screw can be seen, its all hidden.

Fine work for indoor bar may be different, all my stuff is outdoor and built to withstand the elements.
http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/

Erich Troudt

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2003-09-07 02:14 ]

M

Thank you so much! I'll follow your advice. I'll be sure to post photos of the bar when its fianlly done.
Mark

Pages: 1 3 replies