Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A Moment of Silence for Warren Zevon

Pages: 1 13 replies

S

"I saw a werewolf drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vic's...his hair was perfect."

And you were pretty darned close yourself, Warren. Will miss your music and unique perspective on life.

http://www.tikitaky.com
Tiki Rules!

[ Edited by: scigirl on 2003-09-08 06:43 ]

M

Here's to the only musical artist that had a hit with a song mentioning Trader Vic's! My glass is raised in the air.
Can anyone else think of any artists with wide release that mentions Trader Vics or any other tiki place?

M

Er...I hate to say it, but Buffett has a song called "Altered Boy" that mentions the Tonga Room.

Warren had a great attitude until the very end. We should all be lucky to go out with such dignity and a sense of humor.

T

We'll all miss Warren. In his own strange way, he may have had the last laugh by living 9 months longer than his doctors predicted. He never was one for following the rules.

C

I read briefly last week that he got a bunch of his buddies and fellow musicians together and managed to finish his last album before his departure. The songs reflect on his life and his coming to terms with his own mortality. It got really good reviews. I wish I could remember who was else was playing on it with him.
Rest in peace Warren,
Chongolio

S

I have his last album. It is wonderful - a great cap to a great career! His version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door is especially appropriate (and totally Zevon in black humor)

From the Artemis Records website (http://www.artemisrecords.com):

September 12th

"Warren heads into the studio to record and produce with Jorge Calderone and Noah Snyder several songs he has already written for the record. Over the next several weeks, Warren’s friends (Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Billy Bob Thornton, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and others) will join him to lend their talents to the project. VH1 has their cameras on hand to document for a future special. VH1’s cameras will follow Warren for the next few months."

April 12th

"Though he is still not well enough to return to an outside studio, Warren is able to complete the last two songs of the record at his home studio. He is determined to see his grandchildren born."

July

"Warren is still alive. His record, entitled THE WIND, is due out August 26th. He survived to see his grandchildren born. VH1’s documentation of the recording of the album entitled “Keep Me In Your Heart”, will debut on August 24th as part of their new series “Inside/Out”."

The album's available at your local record store & Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AGWIK/qid=1063038720/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-1068836-4811343

I've been a fan of the man since the late '70s, and a thorn in his side at concerts since the early '80s(I'd be the guy in the back shouting "Roland! Play Roland!").

He took the news of only having 3 months to live much better than the doctor expected, and when he was told that he replied "Well, my last 2 albums were called 'Life'll kill ya' & 'My ride's here', so I was kinda expecting this."

I'll have a "Warewolf's Favorite" in his honor & play the live version of "I'll Sleep when I'm Dead".

C
T

I had an opportunity to mix a show with Warren about 2-3 years ago. He was a really nice guy. In the music industry, this is NOT a given by any means. When he sang the "Trader Vic's" line in "Werewolves", I turned the volume up on his voice just a little louder. Wish there were more guys in the biz as laid back as he was. Warren and Wesley Willis in the same month. Who's next? :(

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2003 12:31 PM

Mahalo and Aloha Mr. Warren!

M

"They say love conquers all
You can't start it like a car
You can't stop it with a gun"

Happy for Warren that he got to see his grandkids. Enjoy every sandwich.

midnite

Behold the power of cigarettes.

TR

A Big Ah-ooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

D

I just caught a few minutes of the VH1 documentary on Warren Zevon that was filmed a few months after his cancer diagnosis. I can honestly say that I've always appreciated the music of Warren Zevon, but I was never a huge fan. In fact I know very few of his songs. But after seeing part of this documentary, I really have to commend the man on how he handled the most difficult of circumstances. A great example for us all. Enjoy your sandwiches Warren, and we'll be seeing you and the Werewolf at Trader Vic's somewhere down the road.
:drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-09-10 18:40 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies