Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

FINALLY! Results of the Official Tiki Central Drink Contest!

Pages: 1 24 replies

Aloha everyone:

It took us a while but I finally have the results! We have a winner!

http://www.tikicentral.com/drinks/drinkcontest.htm

Special thanks to go the judges, and Martiki for hosting the event, and to:

Drew Brophy ( http://www.drewbrophy.com )
Tiki Farm ( http://www.tikifarm.com )
Tiki Freaks ( http://www.tikifreaks.com )

for providing prizes!

~Hanford

Congratulations Kick The Reverberations, Cabernet, and Jab. I can't wait to try these, you are gonna be famous for this........at least on TC anyway. oops,....arrrrr, that's the best I can do for the pirate day.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-09-19 17:58 ]

D

That's so great! Congratulations everyone! I think I'll have my own taste test this weekend. They all sound yummy!

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2003 6:13 PM

yes, congrats! I gotta try these drinks now. "Da Reverb Crash" sounds good right now!

Aloha

Wow...my cheeks hurt from smiling (I stole this expression from my wife...)
I'm floored...
Judd wrote me long ago that he and some of his freinds tried my drink and really liked it, but I did not think that had anything to do with the actual judging...
I'm honored..what a great surprise to come from military reserve duty and find this.
Thanks a lot for choosing me, Weird Uncle Tiki, TheJab, Robin, MarTiki, Rebecca, Mig and of course, Hanford.
Also, congrats Caber-Net and TheJab for winning, too.
I wasn't expecting any prizes, but this is really great.. thanks a lot Drew, Tiki Farm and Tiki Freaks.
Finally - When I was celebrating International Tiki Day with my friends (sorry- no pics), my band's bass player (who doesn't like sweet drinks) asked for something strong..so I swapped the Myers's with Lemon Hart 151 Demerara (courtesy of Caber-Net), and floated some more of it on top...needless to say, that version should be called the Reverb Kick.

Mahalo
Ran

Congrats All! Excellent Choices! I think we're all winners in this one. Don't you all think this should be an Annual Competition? I mean... Hell! There's not really that much that's Competitive About It! Everybody Gets Good Recipes from it, don't they? Whooooo-Hooooo!

H

Wow! These drinks look really great. Congratulations to all, but especially kick_the-reverb -- your win doubly impresses me, because we've been able to hear about the challenge you have finding ingredients. I also love that you used grapefruit juice -- my favorite simple drink of the moment is a Salty Dog. I'm looking forward to trying out all of these drinks.

T

I just got back from a bachelor party in Reno and saw this. Congratulations to kick-the-reverb and caber-net! Thanks Martin and Rebecca for being wonderful hosts - Martin's hands were a blur making the drinks quickly so we wouldn't be up all night judging. Thanks also to the prize contributors, and to Hanford for ending my suspense waiting for the results!

A suggestion for my Knockout Punch recipe: Double or triple the recipe for a drink, or better yet make a volcano bowl full - red drinks always look great in a volcano bowl!

KK

Nice work everybody- now I'm off to the store for some of the more elusive ingredients. And of course, I totally agree that there is "no substitute for Kava"!

Congrats to the winners

B

Congratulations Mixologists!
Your neck charms are on the way.

T

I wanted to add a comment that all of the entries were good. There was not one drink that was truly bad. Some were sweeter than others, and may appeal to those who like sweeter drinks, while others (including the 3 winning entries) were more tart. So in many cases the judges gave mixed scores because of different preferences. Only the top 2 winners were given unanimously high scores.

Is there any chance of there being another drink recipe contest?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find any info on it.

I'm bumping this with the hope that there will be another contest....

I think I just came up with a killer!

(now, let the buzz wear off, and I may rethink this, but man...it's been a great day!)

M
mbanu posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2005 5:42 AM

On 2005-06-25 14:49, Fourcrows wrote:
I'm bumping this with the hope that there will be another contest....

I think I just came up with a killer!

(now, let the buzz wear off, and I may rethink this, but man...it's been a great day!)

That's a good point. It's been a few years... any chance for some hungry newcomers to take the Reverb Crash's crown? :)

HT

With a new mug should there not be a new drink?

says runner up in the Ape Drink contest. Smugly, I might add

Sorry to blasphemously practice the art of thread necromancy, but I feel I need to bring more attention to the winner of the Drink Contest.

Thanks to a laziness-induced lack of OJ around these parts, I've found myself making the The Reverb Crash more and more.

This drink is quite literally among the caliber of anything in the Bum's books, and that's quite an accomplishment for anyone short of a professional mixologist.(Is Kick_the_reverb a professional??)

Anyway, any newbies who have overlooked it (or the other contest winners, for that matter) need to make this drink.

And for those of you veterans who have made it before, make it again. One more time. :tiki:

G

Boy, I haven't made that one in a while. It is a good one, to be sure.

+1 on the Reverb Crash! Neighborhood favorite.

When is possibly the next tiki central drink contest??

if there is ever another Contest, I am sure that Kick the Reverb will place very well in it, as I like his newer drinks way more than the "Reverb Crash"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Yum! Reverb Crash, one of my favorite drinks. It seems like it should have always existed.

All of Kick the Reverb's drinks are excellent. He seems to embody the spirit of Donn Beach.

On 2008-05-22 20:16, bigtikidude wrote:
if there is ever another Contest, I am sure that Kick the Reverb will place very well in it, as I like his newer drinks way more than the "Reverb Crash"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks for the kind words over the years.
For the 20th TC anniversary I was asked to post the updated recipe that I have been using for the last few years.
Here it is:

Reverb Crash
By Ran Mosessco a.k.a @kick_the_reverb
4 oz fresh white grapefruit juice
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz passion fruit syrup - from pulp, not commercial brand
3/4 Tablespoon orgeat syrup (Latitude 29)
1 1/4 oz Smith and Cross Rum
1 oz Cruzan Aged (Light or Dark) Rum
1/4 oz Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum

Shake with cracked ice (not cubes), garnish with lots of fresh mint.

Mahalo,
Ran

On 2020-01-10 18:34, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Thanks for the kind words over the years.
For the 20th TC anniversary I was asked to post the updated recipe that I have been using for the last few years.
Here it is:

Reverb Crash
By Ran Mosessco a.k.a @kick_the_reverb
4 oz fresh white grapefruit juice
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz passion fruit syrup - from pulp, not commercial brand
3/4 Tablespoon orgeat syrup (Latitude 29)
1 1/4 oz Smith and Cross Rum
1 oz Cruzan Aged (Light or Dark) Rum
1/4 oz Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum

Shake with cracked ice (not cubes), garnish with lots of fresh mint.

Mahalo,
Ran

Thanks for the update! I haven't made one of these in years. And it's the official drink of the TC 20 year anniversary parties tonight, so hopefully all the bars have access to proper white grapefruit and do it proud! I think it's about time for another official TC drink contest.

Ran,
Thanks for posting the updated recipe on TC. I'm glad that the updated recipe is now here and cataloged in the database!!

I finally got a chance to taste the Reverb Crash made perfectly by the Crew at Tonga Hut.!!!!

In one word....actually, one can't describe it in one word....you need several. It is perfectly balanced, strong enough to know you're having a great drink, but smooth enough that it's refreshing.....it should be on everyone's list to try.

It was great to meet you (on screen), and your home bar is totally cool. :sheckymug: It was great to have the drink featured in all the participating bars....as well as......VoodooShanty in Bournemouth, UK ....made the Reverb Crash in their home bar!!!

Pages: 1 24 replies