Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki couture wins award in fashion show

Pages: 1 5 replies

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3524327&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

Here is the text, but follow the link to see the photo.

Tiki tour to Milan for dress creation
19.09.2003 - By NATASHA HARRIS

A tiki "carved" into a dress has won designer Jenny Walker a two-week stay in Milan observing the Versace design team.

Ms Walker's "Tiki", a polyester halter-neck dress with a tiki design sewn on to it, beat 299 entries to take the supreme award last night at the Style Pasifika Spectacular in the Auckland Town Hall.

The back of the dress has two "swirls" on the bottom.

Ms Walker made the dress to show her fashion school in Canada what New Zealand culture looked like.

"I just wanted to have a material that was quite shiny and quite reflective on stage so when it moved it had different colours, like greenstone does."

Ms Walker will spend two weeks in Milan next year observing top fashion designer Versace, all expenses paid.

The Westfield awards, centring on Pacific-influenced fashion, attracted 300 entries in 10 categories from New Zealand, Tahiti, Samoa, Australia, Tonga and Fiji.

Categories included evening wear, bridal wear and street wear.

©Copyright 2003, NZ Herald

S
SES posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2003 2:30 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:15 ]

I think Mrs. Muggler needs one of those...

M

Arrr! I be liking the tiki couture! I'd wager me parrot that Carson Kressley would approve!

S
SES posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2003 5:03 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:17 ]

I hope Versace includes it in next summer's (or cruise) line.

Better yet, I hope he finances her to start her own tiki themed design house. Take away some of the Tommy Bahama market or make an entry into the Quicksilver junior market.

Pages: 1 5 replies