Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

I'm starting this new thread because sometimes we all make fantastic scores at the thriftstores, garage-sales, and swapmeets that aren't strictly Tiki, but we'd still like to brag a bit.

This morning, Doctor Z and I went garage-saling and didn't find much in the way of tiki, yet I found these fantastic 1970s "Skateboarder" magazines for $2.50 total:

We were looking them over at breakfast and reminiscing fondly about our own skating days in the 1970s. Doctor Z was much better than I and was even on Team Pepsi for a short time.

I did find one Stockton Islander Mai Tai mug for 50 cents and Doctor Z found this excellent young-reader's edition of Kon-Tiki with all the good pictures and artwork for 50 cents as well:

Just a few items from an excellent day of garage sales.

Sabu

S

I sold my first year Alva a few years ago on Ebay and wish I could scour my home town for all the early Dog Town Skates and the boxes of Skateboarder magazines that are out there.

K

I can't post photos of my top 3 favorite non-tiki thrift store finds as they were given away as gifts, but here are the descriptions:

A planter for the top of a TV console made from a ladies' high heel shoe encrusted with shell macaroni and spray painted gold.

A polyester blouse printed with pictures of the entire "Welcome Back Kotter" cast.

A large 3 dimensional glamour photo of a French Poodle.

Believe it or not, all of these items costs less than 50 cents.

T

I sold my 70s issues of Skateboarder (including the premiere issue) back in the early 80s! Aaargh!

NN2

Hey Doctor Z,
I was also on the Pepsi team around 77-78. I would love to look at some of those magazines, my mom threw all mine away. I had some pictures in some of those old Skateboarder magazines and always thought I would find them again at a garage sale. Now they are "collectables". I'm not going to be able to relive my youth because everything about it is a frikken collectable.

On 2003-09-22 10:48, kctiki wrote:
I can't post photos of my top 3 favorite non-tiki thrift store finds as they were given away as gifts, but here are the descriptions:

A polyester blouse printed with pictures of the entire "Welcome Back Kotter" cast.

Put me on your gift list please! WOW!

K

If I run across another "Welcome Back Kotter" blouse, it's yours TikiGoddess. I just gave an orange polyester doubleknit pantsuit back to Goodwill. I was hoping to wear it while hosting a fondue party, but it was too tight and I can no longer eat cheese.

Insted of cheese you could have a chocolate fondue evening...

http://www.loosetooth.com/Recipes/fondue.htm

On 2003-09-29 07:04, kctiki wrote:
If I run across another "Welcome Back Kotter" blouse, it's yours TikiGoddess. I just gave an orange polyester doubleknit pantsuit back to Goodwill. I was hoping to wear it while hosting a fondue party, but it was too tight and I can no longer eat cheese.

I am laughing so hard right now! Put me on your guest list too, I'll wear my purple polyester shirt with white and orange unicorns all over it. A beyond tiki thrift score if there ever was one!

K
kctiki posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2003 5:36 AM

Since you have such a snazzy outfit TikiGoddess, I'll go ahead with the Fondue Party, despite lactose intolerance.

I'll make myself a separate little pot of melted fake tofu cheese. I can call in Tofdue, or Fonfue. Atomictikitony's chocolate fondue will have to be dark chocolate. I can wash it all down with non-alcoholic cocktails, since I can't drink anymore EITHER!

First I have to find an outfit to rival the unicorn shirt. If I develop a sensitivity to polyester I'm going to start drinking again!

S
SES posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2003 7:04 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:59 ]

kctiki: I think I have a copy of the poodle picture. (For the rest: It's one of those "three dimensional" type images, this one of a poodle on a teal rug with some flowers in the background. Under glass, in a white frame.) Picked up years ago, it has been known 'round here as "3-D Dog". A friend in the show biz said he saw one in an LA prop house, and I saw one on an episode of "The Drew Carey Show"* (same frame). Obviously a mass produced image, I like the idea of some grandma in 1960-something thinking it was beautiful and hanging it in the living room.

*For the record, while I absolutely just love TV I don't really like the "..Carey" show.

On 2003-10-05 05:36, kctiki wrote:
Since you have such a snazzy outfit TikiGoddess, I'll go ahead with the Fondue Party, despite lactose intolerance.

I'll make myself a separate little pot of melted fake tofu cheese. I can call in Tofdue, or Fonfue. Atomictikitony's chocolate fondue will have to be dark chocolate. I can wash it all down with non-alcoholic cocktails, since I can't drink anymore EITHER!

First I have to find an outfit to rival the unicorn shirt. If I develop a sensitivity to polyester I'm going to start drinking again!

...Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?

K
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.