Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

OGR

On 2016-11-06 05:23, tikiskip wrote:
Yeah that sign is way cool.
Would want to see about fixing that one.

My wife took a class at OSU on making neon, and made some neon.

Your wife can make neon? That is way cool and a lost art.

H

My husband and I were really excited when we found this, it was an original old sign, it was not cheap $400.00. But we wanted to make sure it works in our house. Inside of my house is MCM decor. We loved it but the light was too bright and too strong, and there was no way to lower the light. We would have kept it for sure if it had a dimmer light. It looked like it was right out of a film Noir. the owner of the antique shop who is very handy and fixes everything said he couldn't change this.

Yup Hilda, Neon can be very bright. I’m gonna move mine about 20 ft. away from where it now hangs.
It’s much too bright when we are seated at my bar.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-11-06 22:51 ]

T

On 2016-11-06 06:56, Or Got Rum? wrote:

On 2016-11-06 05:23, tikiskip wrote:
Yeah that sign is way cool.
Would want to see about fixing that one.

My wife took a class at OSU on making neon, and made some neon.

Your wife can make neon? That is way cool and a lost art.

Yes she made some for my restaurant, AND it too was really bright, a lawyer friend called it an eye owwie.

But after we had it going for like a week I don't know if it toned down or we got used to it but it was fine.
It too was mostly pink neon.

You could put plexi in front of it and gel it to tone it down, Plus change the color to any or just a neutral density filter.

Skip “ You could put plexi in front of it and gel it to tone it down”
What a great idea. I’ll give that a try.
Mahalo

T

Here are some to look at...

Rosco filters.
https://www.rosco.com/filters/roscolux.cfm

EJ

Not sure how much you want to spend but they do make dimmable neon transformers. You would have to swap out the old transformer with the new one.

Yes, and neon lights don't need that much power either. I believe you can get the voltage adjusters without having to switch a transformer. You could turn down the power to it and dim it down without messing with the actual sign.

This is one of the reasons that I luv Tiki Central. The knowledge and willingness to share.
Mahalo

No tiki stuff this year yet. Wife found this ice bucket at a thrift this morning.

UT

Cool stuff Nui. That ice bucket is killer! Full on MCM design. I picked up this awesome vintage GE clock yesterday for $5 bucks and it keeps perfect time. Also scored a vintage Alfredo Barbini Murano glass ashtray on the cheap.

H

Uncle Trav nice finds, would love to find one of those clocks. I have two ashtrays similar to yours that a friend gave me a while back but not sure who the artist is.

UT

Those are great hiltiki. Sometimes it's hard to tell the maker without a signature. I knew this one was by Barbini although not signed the black, white and gold swirl pattern is one his well known designs

On 2017-01-07 07:25, uncle trav wrote: I picked up this awesome vintage GE clock yesterday for $5 bucks and it keeps perfect time.

Awesome clock, working or not.
Cheers

Another great page

Found at a garden center in Newport Beach. Wife had to have it. Only bout 10” long-weighs a ton

H

Love the puffer fish.

I wouldn't advise hanging it over head
:)

I wuz thinking bout making it into a hanging lamp. I wuz inspired by you Mr. ChairMan.
: > )

Just scored this awesome vintage set of Fire-King canisters for $10. I think they will fit in with the kitchen nicely as soon as I find a spot to put them.

Woah! Lets see more of that kitchen! And I Love the canisters, your thrifting luck amazes me!

On 2017-02-20 08:13, TikiGoddess wrote:
Woah! Lets see more of that kitchen! And I Love the canisters, your thrifting luck amazes me!

Sorry ahead of time for derailing the thread.

Kick ars kitchen....

H

Nice, I also love all the fiesta ware.

WOW! Cool kitchen, I love it, thank you for showing it off!! I am convinced that all food must taste better if its cooked on that stove!! (and yes, I love exclamation points as well!!)

[ Edited by: TikiGoddess 2017-02-24 14:00 ]

UT

Thanks guys. I was happy that the interior of the house was largely intact of the vintage touches when we decided to buy. Here are a couple of really mod enamelware pans I picked up the other day. They were absolutely grimy and nasty. After a bit of elbow grease they look almost new. Not really my style so it's off to eBay with them.

N

It's a good day when you find a chunky swag lamp.

H

Major chunk, love it.

UT

That swag is killer!!! I snagged this awesome Jens Quistgaard designed combination salt shaker and pepper mill for $1. Shake salt out of the top then twist the top to grind the pepper. The pegs come out for filling. Classic mid century design made of gorgeous warm teak and a welcomed addition to the kitchen. Seems like I have better luck finding vintage stuff instead of tiki these days but I still love the hunt.

N

Found this globe bar on craigslist that the owner's father brought back from Italy after WW2, booze soon to come.

TM

whoa! Now THAT is cool!

8T

Nauga you're on a hot streak. BTW, I collect those pepsi superhero glasses too.

Daaaaaaaaang
Good stuff all

I found a bunch of eyes for future carvings

That is an awesome bar!! It must be of good size to fit the helmet ice bucket inside. I have the same one made into a table lamp.

On 2017-03-09 14:52, naugatiki wrote:
Found this globe bar on craigslist that the owner's father brought back from Italy after WW2, booze soon to come.

My Pop gave me a globe bar about forty years ago. It’s somewhere in my garage-Might find it if I ever get around to cleaning out all my junk.. Had some vintage glassware and who knows what else in it. Just talked myself into looking for it this week.
Cheers

Got this split sectioned serving dish and the two platters at a local thrift. Made by Metlox (California.
The pattern is "Poppytrails”.

Great stuff guys! Love the MCM china Nui. I scored this Iroquois Bombay pattern coffee server designed by Ben Seibel. A clean design never goes out of style in my view :D

Nui
UT
Nice

I couldn't pass on these shot glasses

Are those shot glasses for scotch? :)

"I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.” — Ron Burgundy

My wife found this 60’s hairdryer/beautician’s chair at a local yard sale.
Got it for 20 bucks. She’s giving it to our son-his barbershop has a lot of vintage grooming stuff on display.
1rst pic is the chair followed by the detail on the fabric and the switch
This piece hails from North Hollywood although the mfg. is out of Cleveland.

David- wow
That looks awesome
And 20.00
Nice

Puttin this to use

Scored this huge vintage Murano cased glass bowl at the thrift today. A foot across and six and one half inches tall. Hard to catch the beauty of the piece with my kitchen lighting. I'm still trying to track down a maker or designer. A rare find at any rate.

Score

Found this wood with aluminum platter combo last week in Palm springs. It’s big.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-05-29 22:33 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies