Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

SpaceMonkey, I’ve had success getting rid of the haze on the inside of glassware by filling em with a 50-50 m,ix of white vinegar and waterI Let them sit for 3-4 days and most times they look much better. I don’t mess with the outside cuz I’m afraid I might damage the graphics.
Good luck
Btw, good looking glassware and your plans for the lamp sounds like a winner.

nui 'umi 'umi - Thanks! I appreciate the tip about the vinegar, especially from someone who's made it work. They're soaking now.

That makes sense. The haze is often scale left by hard water (lime, calcium, etc.). Bleach does nothing for that, but a mild acid should dissolve it. Good as new!

On 2018-05-01 15:22, coldwarspacemonkey wrote:
Today's thrift store bargains - three small glasses and six mugs. Glasses are a little hazy, but the mugs look almost new.

The glasses are Salem North Star. Great find.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the tip on the pattern - I thought it was pretty cool but was having trouble identifying it.

Great bunch of finds everyone

BB

Found a couple interesting non-tiki items this weekend.

1968 Shriners lighter. New flint and some fluid and it works perfectly.

Vintage Stylecraft bottle cutting kit - for the ultimate in home recycling, why not turn your dead soldiers into DIY glassware?

BB

Some more neat vintage finds. Everything was had at a local flea market for a buck each.

Vintage bamboo parasol. A little worse for wear.

A nice-sized bamboo rain stick. I'll definitely get some use out of this guy. The airbrushing makes me think early 90s? Tropical, but not tiki.

1960's Korean-made Prestige guitar. Not the greatest construction. The top has sunken in at the bridge over the years. Still can't believe they only wanted $1 for it though.

BB

Another to add to the "tropical, but not quite tiki" pile:

A pair of Stereogram cards from the late 1800s of coconut palms in Florida.

Good thing I've got several viewers for these things, otherwise I'd go cross-eyed!

Bam- 1.00
Awesome

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-03-12 17:12 ]

UT

Scored this hard to find nice little Kodak Beau Brownie at the thrift store. Only made for a couple of years in the 1930s. The appearance was created by noted industrial designer Walter Dorwin Teague. A compact little piece of art.

On 2019-03-01 05:34, uncle trav wrote:
Scored this hard to find nice little Kodak Beau Brownie at the thrift store. Only made for a couple of years in the 1930s. The appearance was created by noted industrial designer Walter Dorwin Teague. A compact little piece of art.

Very nice Unca T>
I’ve got a couple, not as colorful as yours though.Very nice indeed!
Cheers

BB

That camera is a beaut!

Some more stereoviews for the "tropical / pre-tiki" pile.

First shot looks like it might be Diamond Head in the background?

BB

A surprise find today was this Tex Ritter album. I don't always go in for Western, but I freaking love this cover art. The title track is just over the top. Perfect condition, 25 cents!

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Stumbled across this gorgeous rattan aquarium on CL. Bought it today from a military retiree who'd gotten it 30-plus years ago when stationed in the Philippines. I've wanted one, but wasn't willing to pay the prices commanded on the rare occasions these appeared on local CL ads. But this one was priced so low I knew I'd regret it if I didn't jump. That's the same story how I got my peacock chairs!

Nice

T

On 2018-04-14 13:51, coldwarspacemonkey wrote:
Local "antique" store:
Don't know what it is, but after reading some of Skip's tutorials I could only think "This is going to make a heck of a Tiki Light"

Don't read this thread much, but you could make a light or a table, or make a lighted table even.

Get some of those round globe C7 light set come Halloween (cuz you will find orange lights) and then you won't even need to cover the inside of the basket.

UT

Here’s some beyond junk as of late. Scored an awesome Duxbak hunting vest. Dates anywhere from 1904 to 1915! And it’s aged to perfection. Finding a survivor this old is a rare treat indeed.

Next up is a complete unbuilt Hawk 104 Starfighter model kit from 1961.

A cool Plank Owners plaque for the decommissioning of a nuke sub the USS GUITARRO from 1992. These plaques have a long navy tradition and usually have a pice of the ship on them. The term Plank Owner refers to those pieces of wood. In this case probably a piece from the conning tower planking.

I also pick up an original USAF F-100D Supersaber flight manual. Not a bad weekend of junk hunting.

T

Duxbak is old?
My Dad had lots of that stuff in fact that looks almost like a vest he had only it's bigger than his.

I'm beginning to think my dad collected and used old hunting and fishing stuff.

UT

On 2019-07-08 15:42, tikiskip wrote:
Duxbak is old?
My Dad had lots of that stuff in fact that looks almost like a vest he had only it's bigger than his.

I'm beginning to think my dad collected and used old hunting and fishing stuff.

Yes. Duxbak was founded in 1904. Since the old brands were high quality and made in the USA they were made to last. Ultimately the quality was there downfall due to cheap foreign imports starting in the late 60s. Many hunters wore hand-me-down hunting clothes because they tended to last a long time. I find tons of hunting clothes here in Michigan at garage sales. The really old stuff is harder to find these days and is sought after. The Duxbak name has been bought and sold many times and is still around today but the quality will never be what it originally was sadly.

Can’t say no to a cool low ball glass

Scored another nice Jere sculpture. This is a harder to find piece due to the enameled flowers. Dated 1969 and 36” tall. Can be hung vertically or horizontally.

22x30
Signed: mom 1987
Lol

On 2019-04-23 16:52, tikiskip wrote:

On 2018-04-14 13:51, coldwarspacemonkey wrote:
Local "antique" store:
Don't know what it is, but after reading some of Skip's tutorials I could only think "This is going to make a heck of a Tiki Light"

Don't read this thread much, but you could make a light or a table, or make a lighted table even.

Get some of those round globe C7 light set come Halloween (cuz you will find orange lights) and then you won't even need to cover the inside of the basket.

Thanks for the input, Skip! Like you, I don't check this thread often, but I appreciate your comments. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

This thing looks bigger in the photo than it is. Looks like it will end up as a light. It's a relief to have the option of not covering the inside - that's what has been holding me up on doing anything with it. Missed the Halloween sales, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks again!

Morgantown glass book

Proof positive that Mid Century Design was everywhere back in the day. This is a steel box that held a car battery. You could jump another dead battery by hooking it up and “jumping” it. This is probably for a dealership judging by how attractive it is. Made right here in good ole Kalamazoo! When the cables are pulled all the way out they are about two feet long. Another utilitarian item made super cool from the 60s.

Annuder great find Unca T. one would think that the box would be well corroded but the pic shows otherwise.
Cheers

4 estate sales
Spent 5.00

2 albums
4 magazine racks
Bunch o sandpaper

Here’s a fun one. Found this pair of Carhartt overalls out thrifting for $16. I knew I had something special the instant I pulled them off the rack. Much searching on the net yielded nearly zero info about the overalls. I was finally able to get ahold of the head archivist at the Carhartt company. Yep the really do have an archive and museum. To say the least the guy was blown away at my find. Turns out the overalls date to pre 1925! He offered to buy the overalls and his first offer was $1,000. I know the vintage denim market pretty well and knew the overalls could sell online for a boatload and would probably end up in a collection over in Asia. Now being that Carhartt is a Michigan company and I live in the same state I decided to sell the overalls to the Carhartt archive. We settled on a price of $1,400 which he jumped on instantly. Being a working man who wears overalls and being proud of my state history I believe they are now in the right place. A time machine find for sure. Thanks for taking a look.

Hummmm. Pics won’t load. Oh well their pretty cool anyway

28552D3F-9FBC-48F5-A23F-E6BA517BD38CD303C36E-D34A-4B5B-B9C0-AF0C4EA9273F6577FBE4-8679-4605-B4AA-30340E28272F62D6B583-17AD-4A0F-AFE5-A5C754B3B973

[ Edited by uncle trav on 2022-05-16 16:15:28 ]

Finally got the pics to load

T

Wow they are in great shape!

They are not tan, wonder when they changed to the tannish brown. Great find.

Hey Skip. Carhartt came out with the classic brown canvas in about 1915. They still make clothes in both denim and canvas today. I wear that stuff every day on the job.

Score at the local Goodwill IMG_20220615_123147649

77B268AD-BA5F-4332-BF41-D2EAE85D022C

A fish trap I've had my eye on since a road trip last year, finally able to snag it this time. Anyone able to identify the style?

UT

Well if Shag ever designed a pipe this would probably be the result. Just snagged this beauty this weekend. “THE PIPE” made by the Venturi Pipe Co. Dates from about 1970 and is full on mod. Thanks for taking a look!! 8306BB0A-85F8-4E4E-A596-5E7FFC9A1A91CD8792B9-4C5A-4BD5-96FD-4E94C8738089FA5974A4-EEA1-42C2-841A-5C9E761CB356385654D3-2988-4168-B3A3-6F4500A43A0BCE267C73-11A6-4C85-AC1A-16E08B0970CBDA4888B4-9C84-4EEE-B75C-F8ABDAEF34F9

[ Edited by uncle trav on 2022-07-04 06:13:37 ]

T

I wonder if the guy who had that drove that car called the thing.

I remember these! Cool find, Uncle T!

BB

Wow! I've got an example of The Pipe in my collection, but it's nowhere near as cool as that one!

UT

Thanks guys. The colors are more vibrant than the photos show. I have many pipes but my favorites are the traditional corncob pipes.

My Dad had one back in the day, but it was a solid color. Sort of a brick red if I remember.

Scored a Woodsy cookie jar. The beer can is for scale and yes I did recycle it.896E98E6-CC63-40B6-9F24-E47F8CA30FD1

Time to bump up this dead thread. Vintage lucite sea life ashtray.IMG_8038IMG_8039IMG_8040IMG_8041IMG_8042IMG_8043IMG_8044IMG_8045IMG_8046

UT

Scored a vintage Vladimir Tretchikoff ‘Miss Wong’ print to accompany my ‘Green Girl’ print.IMG_8248

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies