Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

Wahine say: eye candy look best when well hung

I dont even wanna know why you have well hung candy at eye level.

I seem to have started a collection of china from defunct Canadian airlines on my trip to Vancouver last weekend.

In Red Deer I found two small oval dishes from Wardair (a charter airline based in Edmonton) ($1.49 for both), and in Kamloops I found six pieces (2 of the large and 4 of the smaller ones) from CP Air (later Canadian Airlines and ultimately taken over by Air Canada) ($2.25 for all six pieces).

Wardair logo.

I also got this lovely paint by numbers of a crying girl in Kamloops for 50¢:

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 01:52 ]

J
JTD posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2005 8:06 PM

On 2005-07-01 17:54, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
This is my one of my favorite recent thrift store finds:
A TV S&P shaker

What branch of Trader Vic's used those? :wink:

Great find!

T

Oh my god is that Karla Homolka?

On 2005-08-07 07:56, tikifish wrote:
Oh my god is that Karla Homolka?

Hmmm, you may be right.

-Sweet Daddy T.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 01:53 ]

It can't be...the girl in the painting has a tear.

While hitting a yard sale at 4pm yesterday look what ended up on the curb in a free box.

It's 20 inches tall and resembles Charles Manson in his psycho killer glory painted in groovy hippie colors. On the side of it says "Mexico" so I wonder if it's part of a cult or a bad rendering of a religious figure, either way I'm ready for Halloween early this year.

On our recent trip to Hawaii we found a few stores that had high priced Hawaiian collectables, but we found a couple of mid-century bargains.....

Mrs. Fury's find

My find.......A primitive modern 14" ceramic piece marked Holiday In Calif 1964

Both for $59.00.......

D

Doggie & Kitty Gravel Art! not bad for 50 cents each! will go nicely in the dog theme guest room!

T

This lovely lady was sitting on the floor of the Buy-The-Pound for 1.99! This is a large print, and the frame is killer. I consider it my find-o-the-month!

I also found this gem amongst the Loverboy albums and Jane Fonda Workout tapes... music from german erotic films of the 60's and 70's! When I took it to the counter the salesclerk was visibly offended, yet kept staring at it. Finally he says, 'If zis is music, vy does she haff to be nekkid?'

H

On 2005-09-05 07:48, tikifish wrote:

I also found this gem amongst the Loverboy albums and Jane Fonda Workout tapes... music from german erotic films of the 60's and 70's! When I took it to the counter the salesclerk was visibly offended, yet kept staring at it. Finally he says, 'If zis is music, vy does she haff to be nekkid?'

This is one of Hanford's favorite albums! He keeps saying, "One of these days I should try playing it."

Seriously though, it's great music.

DZ

It was the "Product of the Day" here on TC at some point last week, too! Who could forget a cover like that? :wink:

On 2005-08-19 09:05, bongofury wrote:

Mrs. Fury's find

Wow! I have not been paying attention because it's taken 17 days to see this post...

When we bought our house (a 1961 ranch) 3 years ago, that dish came with it. It also came with a matching... sugar bowl (?)

-Z

A

..music from german erotic films of the 60's and 70's!{/quote]

Gert Wilden is the coolest. That label "Crippled Dick" also has another collection of songs by Gert Wilden called I Told You Not To Cry, which deserves to be sought out with much persistence and alacrity.

-Randy

T

On 2005-08-19 09:05, bongofury wrote:
On our recent trip to Hawaii we found a few stores that had high priced Hawaiian collectables, but we found a couple of mid-century bargains.....

Mrs. Fury's find

That dish is sooooooo cool. My wife would kill someone for one of those. To say nothing of the potential entertainment value of my wife going crazy over a dish.

bongofury - you have found a piece of Metlox (also known as Poppytrail) pottery in the Freeform Shape line from 1955. There were 4 patterns in this shape. Your pattern is called California Contempora. Zombified's pattern which is similar except for the color is in the California Freeform. There were also the California Mobile and California Aztec (my favorite) patterns in this shape.

Metlox was based in Manhattan Beach, just a few blocks from the pier. I have many fond memories of shopping there with my mom when I was a child, buying "seconds" at very cheap prices. My mom filled our house with whole sets of wonderful contemporary pottery in the 60s very cheaply by buying the slightly imperfect pieces where the glaze might not have been perfect or the color slightly off - nothing you could ever notice, really. All shopping was done outdoors, walking among racks and racks of every pattern of pottery, all open to the elements. A true surf-town pottery factory. Very hippie, very cool.

There was a huge controversy when the Metlox factory was torn down to make way for new restaurants and shops. It seems the owners had poured the lead-filled slag from the kilns right into the soil for decades. A huge pit that took up the whole block had to be dug at enormous expense to remove all the lead-tainted soil. That was many years ago and I'm still not sure if anything's been built on the site.

Here are some photos of your patterns from my Metlox book:

I have a few pieces of California Aztec, but given a good-sized budget, I would choose to collect the Metlox "Tropicana" line myself, decorated with pineapples and fish. I think this pattern would look especially good in your home, Bongofury, what with your Witco and Tiki and Modernist decor. Unfortunately, it is as expensive as your more uncommon and rare tiki mugs. Here are some pictures:

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2005-09-08 01:22 ]

J
JTD posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2005 7:05 AM

Sabu,
Thanks for another great post. Am now tempted to start searching for/buying more stuff. Ya bastid. :)

JTD

Sabu!

You amaze me. :drink:

It's always nice to find out a treasured piece actually has a maker and didn't just appear out of thin air. Thanks again for the info! Now, if you could kindly help me identify the bug my dog just ate...

-Z

8T

Professor Sabu says that was an assasin beetle. Hopefully the insect will not "live" up to its name and the pup is fine.

H

D

air kisses for sabu from now on.

omgod, its nature touching... thats so much worse than food touching.

J

After a long dry spell I finally found something at the Goodwill worthy of sharing... even though it is beyond tiki I thought it was really cool and well worth the $5.00 I paid for it...

...a cool set of liquor bottle cocktail picks that...

...sit on top of the wooden bar when not in use!

B

Zazz!!!

J

I wondered if I should share this other find because it is wayyyyy beyond tiki but I can't contain myself! I went browsing at a used record store and came across this...

A copy of the 1973 Wailers debut album "Catch A Fire" in the limited edition Zippo cover!

Check it out!! I ended up paying $40.00 for it but I've been hoping to come across one for nearly 20 years! The vinyl is absolutely flawless though it won't be seeing any time on my turntable!

I bought this wicker dress form at the Long Beach flea market last Sunday. I'll use it to display jewelry.

T

A score at 45 dollars! whoo hoo! Found it in the junkiest craziest ramshackle antique store of all time.... a labyrinth of room after room of dusty junk, no lights, barely a path to walk through... and this baby was just sitting there, waiting for me!

One good lamp deserves another:

20 bucks at a garage sale this weekend. The folks were willing to bargain downwards but I couldn't pay any less in good conscience.

-Sweet Daddy T.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 13:56 ]

E

oh man! I am drooling over the tow lamps! tikifish and sweet daddy tiki what excellent finds at great prices! My husbands swears he is going to send me to a 12 step program to rid me of the lamp collecting bug. Right now you can't open a closet without a lamp falling out on you. I like to be able to switch lamps in and out of my decor as I feel the need for a slightly different look. Hubby thought he'd be done with me hauling in lamps one I started collecting tiki stuff. Hee hee, if only he knew.....

Those really are both fantastic lamps!
Congratulations on your wonderful finds.

It's turning into Lamptober. Got this one today at Goodwill for $17.00

-Sweet Daddy T.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 13:59 ]

D

THE best month for lamp shopping! My 1 dollar VFW garage sale find is nothing compared to a Z lamp but I am thrilled with my find...

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-10-04 23:41 ]

I picked this modern coffee maker over the weekend while hunting tiki (which I had no luck). Sadly my coffee maker didn't come with the lid to replace the filter with when it's finnished brewing, but I have improvised. My wahine has names it HAL. I must admit, HAL makes a mean cup of joe.

I also found this auction on ebay if anyone wants one for their own. NOT MY AUCTION.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-NORELCO-DRIP-FILTER-COFFEE-MAKER-12-C-W-B_W0QQitemZ6216150657QQcategoryZ11652QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found this set of TV trays on a small town googie hunt last week.

Woohoo! Been looking for this record for awhile.

*Who is the real Sweet Daddy Siki? Is he that mean looking chap front-cover left, or that gentle fellow to the right togged in country gear with guitar?

The answer is both. Sweet Daddy Siki, the highly skilled wrestler who employs a lethal, reverse chin-lock he calls the Beatnik Hangman Hold is also an exemplary performer of Country Music.

Wrestler Siki says the most outrageous things: "When I look in the mirror I see the most gorgeous physique in the universe." "Nothing in this world is a greater luxury than me." Not so Siki the Music Man . . . he just strums his guitar, smiles most disarmingly and sings.

These starkly contrasting modes of behavior work equally well. Wrestler Siki is top-rated, has wrestled extensively in the United States, Japan, the Bahamas, and Canada. Singer Siki is daily gaining gaggles of fans as news of his talent spreads.

Born in Kingston, Jamaica, W.I. Sweet Daddy moved to Los Angeles at the age of seven. There, he attended college and began wrestling and boxing at the age of fifteen. He served in the U.S. Army, and is a veteran of the Korean War.

"Sweet Daddy Siki Takes on Country Music" is Siki's first album with Arc. It represents for him the fruition of a life-long desire – to entertain in a medium he loves.

We at Arc Sound think it a most exciting recording debut and know wrestler Siki, who spent enough time in New York's Greenwich Village to be billed "The Pad Lad", would agree.

For the record, though, Country Music performer Sweet Daddy Siki would rather you listened before deciding.*

-Sweet Daddy T.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2005-10-18 22:14 ]

On 2005-10-04 07:59, tikifish wrote:

A score at 45 dollars! whoo hoo! Found it in the junkiest craziest ramshackle antique store of all time.... a labyrinth of room after room of dusty junk, no lights, barely a path to walk through... and this baby was just sitting there, waiting for me!

Damn Fish!
That lamp rocks.
Congtrats Cutie!

Dang! Totally in awe of that Sweet Daddy Siki album. That's just the crazy kind of stuff I collect.

I was blessed today at the garage sales. An old box full of dirty, grimy glassware was purchased for $2.00. When I got it home and washed it all, I had quite a set:

The shaker is in mint condition and has a nice strainer in the lid. The martini glasses are faceted and the tiny glasses have a delicate, dimpled surface. Really nice set in total. I made some martinis tonight with the shaker. The top pops on and off so smoothly. This is going to be my new favorite everyday shaker.

Sabu

S

On 2005-10-04 07:59, tikifish wrote:

OMG! A Majestic! I found one locally last year and tried to get a price and she refused. I went back this month and it was gone. She sold it for $225. I would have paid that for it. It was nice to see one in person though...

Score!

S

On 2005-10-04 22:57, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
It's turning into Lamptober. Got this one today at Goodwill for $17.00

I have a very similar lamp in black. Same gold pattern on it and same curved rods with ball ends in brass. One of my favorites. Nice find!

S

I found this at my local vintage dealer just before Hukilau and put it on hold. It is the most awesome dinette I ever saw. I love aqua, so it had my name all over it.

Chairs are perfect. Makes me even happier to walk in the door at the end of the day. Now we need people over to show it off!

S

I got this shadow box at Target on clearance for maybe $10. They had lots and are likely going down in price. Very vintage look, I still need to paint it black to match the kitchen, but it just was perfect!

The weird angle here is to keep the flash from glaring.

J
JonPez posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 9:03 PM

Swanky...
Love the table!
Been looking for one with matching chairs and no cigarette burns in the vinyl.
Congrats!

T

Love the wood-grain and the little crowns! Very unusual and cool...congrats!!! It's true, there's nothing like a great dinette set to cheer one up after a hard day :)

Z

Swanky, that's the coolest dinette set I've ever seen! On top of that, the crowns are ultra keen! The chairs look like they're in pristine condition, too. I'd be hogging the aqua side, and not letting others sit there!

T

Boght this for a whopping $1.41 at the Buy-The-Pound (yes, they weighed it!). I figure it's 50's, but anyone got any other ideas? I love it! It's about a foot across, very big. Just the number 2 scratched into the bottom, no potter's name.

[ Edited by: tikifish 2005-11-20 13:47 ]

Well I found another Jim Flora illustrated LP cover today. For the Columbia 'Til Eulenspiegel', I have the RCA as well. I touched up the black background in photoshop a bit as the black had faded.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-14 22:13 ]

Saarinen side chair 2 dollars

I haven't had time to search for much of anything lately but a local women who'd seen mid-century mod stuff on my blog emailed me about a friend who was trying to sell a set of four of these TV trays w holder. Of course, I bought them. I've no idea of their age.

K

I stumbled upon some more caveman stuff on internet auction sites that's very similar to the $4.00 thrift store find I've posted to this thread previously. I'm happy to find out these cavemen not only have pedigrees, but are also selling for more than $100.00

Marcello Fantoni Caveman Pottery

Fantoni Caveman & Cavewoman (notice the boobies)

My thriftstore caveman with cat

[ Edited by: kctiki 2006-06-04 12:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies