Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

Dayum....PTD....more fabulous stuff. I just love your retro taste!!!

Great stuff Psyco...I would steal that Remco radio station if I knew where you live...
does it work? That is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Gotta fine me
one of those.

T

Awesome stuff, PTD!! Hey, you may wanna check out this link, for an auction coming up - http://www.philipweissauctions.com/September_07.htm - it's insane!

A few items rescued from the Salvation Army trash when I worked there, years ago -

(The covers on these are ALWAYS better than what's inside)

A whole bunch of unused cocktail party invites from the 1940s -

...from the 1930s -

...and a magazine celebrating Merv Griffin! (one of the most WTF items I have)

Urp!

...AKA "Thirstin' Haole the 3rd"

[ Edited by: twitch 2007-08-29 18:56 ]

[ Edited by: twitch 2007-08-29 18:59 ]

twitch,

Thanks for the link, that is one amazing collection, almost like being in "The land That Time Forgot". Nice saves on the thrift store items as well.

PTD

Twitch...that is a totally insane collector there....not even any room to brush your teeth. :D

Worth a small fortune though and how great that people had the forethought to save so many things...I guess that makes being a packrat OK!!!!

N

Not a bad weekend, first I found this Jayne Mansfield hot water bottle that is going to be a martini pitcher, then I scored a combination ashtray magazine holder. I wonder how many fires these things started when the butt accidentally fell on a magazine? Finally, one of those ashtrays surrounded by a mini rubber tire. Something you'd find in a gas station waiting room before they all went self service.

T

More crap!

• swizzle from Oil Can Harry's, a club from the '60's to around '78 or so (the place had go-go dancer platforms 'n everything)

• postcard from the '50s of Vancouver's Chinatown. Sadly, a strange bill was passed in the 1960's that called for the destruction of well over half of Vancouver's 18,000 neon signs. I'd have to re-do some digging for the exact reason behind it, but it had something to do with neon signs attracting the wrong element and giving a bad image to the city... None of what you see here exists today. Another brilliant move by city council.

• and a photo from what seems to be the early 20's, probably during prohibition. Note one obstinate drinker pouring from the lower half of a broken bottle...

[ Edited by: twitch 2007-09-10 19:10 ]

On 2007-09-10 19:07, twitch wrote:

• postcard from the '50s of Vancouver's Chinatown. Sadly, a strange bill was passed in the 1960's that called for the destruction of well over half of Vancouver's 18,000 neon signs. I'd have to re-do some digging for the exact reason behind it, but it had something to do with neon signs attracting the wrong element and giving a bad image to the city... None of what you see here exists today. Another brilliant move by city council.

..actually, the environmental protection agency here in the u.s, backed by supporting liberals felt the neon gas was a danger to the environment and called for the destruction and replacement of many neon signs(this was about a decade ago)...the same thing may have happened in vancouver as well...and, just like red dye no.5 and countless other things that were banned for a short time, have now come back into popular use...unfortunatelly, the damage done by well intentioned do-gooders is irreparable and the vintage sign community has suffered a great loss....and it was all for nothing. this is what happens when policy is made based on emotions and not on fact...we all end up losing.

BK

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

Been a long time since anyone bumped this post. Bought these today, just have to figure out how to get them home, repaired & reupholstered! They were affordable, so I was excited to find them.

Tikisgrl

Nice score!

BK

You're killing me, Beth!

Oooooh...Ahhhhh...Droooool!!! Fabulous find TG. Yuck on that current upholstery...what were they thinking...LOL. I know you will get something kewl. The frames look like they are in excellent condition. NAME DROPPER :lol:

anyone ever run across lamps like this? this one says "hand made in the florida keys" on the bottom.

ok ,maybe someone here can help. i have had this for a while now and can not find out anthing about it. not signed but done by someone who is,in my opinion ,very good.must have gone on or already done other stuff.it looks to be pen and ink. 'DRAGON IN BEANIE' anone have an idea as to when or who? thanks , david

On 2008-01-25 05:06, TIKI DAVID wrote:
ok ,maybe someone here can help. i have had this for a while now and can not find out anthing about it. not signed but done by someone who is,in my opinion ,very good.must have gone on or already done other stuff.it looks to be pen and ink. 'DRAGON IN BEANIE' anone have an idea as to when or who? thanks , david

You may want to reference Maurice Sendak, he wrote and illustrated some children's books; this appears to be his artwork and the subject looks very similar to creatures he drew for his book "Where The Wild Things Are".

If it is an original, it is worth a small fortune!

PTD

Very cool bar!

I did find these today -- I've been looking for (affordable) swivel bar stools for Tiki Acres (our new ranch). These are vaguely rattan-looking (they're metal) and at least to me have a sort of tropical shape. When I replace the tan seat fabric with something nice and tropical they're especially going to look nice.

check out this plant stand. i love it

my wooster hellion,

The last hour of an estate sale yielded these large strips of plexiglass with a great modern petroglyph like design.

With a little effort I managed to cut and frame them to fit in the window my tiki space very nicely.

With spring here its nice to expose the dank tiki bar to the sun reflected through these yellow lenses and warm up the place.

Now THAT is extraordinary. I have lots of awesome mid-C modern stuff. Let me get some pics and I'll be back.
Kiki v.

TD

I found this little booklet in a batch of mostly "lodge-look" antiques. Paid $3.50 for it. It was copyrighted in 1942 and the pics are pre-war. The photographers were all Hawaiian natives. Some nudity!

Front Cover

Back Cover

Someone (perhaps a young man or art student?) outlined the lady here!

This week I found a couple of things...

Modern swivel top table and a "Marvelous Mike Tractor" robot.

Robot from the 50's...

Table from???

Rattan lamp.

Smashed finger from working in the yard!

Rattan lamp, $2.00. Table, $2.00. Robot and smashed finger, priceless!

See ya,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am smashed finger and all)!

B

Psycho Tiki D: that finger looks an awful lot like my husband's! His got smashed at work by a metal container though - and it's been a while - I'm sure the nail will fall off soon. REALLY looking forward to that!

B

That reminds me of a bunch of jellyfish! It looks like it should be hanging from a vaulted ceiling - that's HUGE!

On 2008-04-28 16:47, TIKI DAVID wrote:

8T

Got this from the original owner who said he had left it in the box since he came home from college. It is dated 1973
Oh yeah, it was $1.00 in the orig. box. and it still works.

I have been looking for a record player, since I have around 1,000 albums and no way to play them. I picked this vintage "boom box" style player up at the antique show last Sunday for $10.00.

It is a "Zenith Sterophonic" and works great except when the records drop. For some reason it stops. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

PTD

On 2008-05-12 16:31, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
I have been looking for a record player, since I have around 1,000 albums and no way to play them. I picked this vintage "boom box" style player up at the antique show last Sunday for $10.00.

It is a "Zenith Sterophonic" and works great except when the records drop. For some reason it stops. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

PTD

I can fix it.

I've had this pair of coffee tables for years. Found them at a thrift store while working off some community service as a juvenile. There was a matching oval coffee table table that went with it, but didn't have the money right then. Went back a week later and the table was gone. :(

The room marker stuck to the top is from the suite level of the Contemporary Resort. Probably a collectors item in itself.

This I found last year at the local flea market. Couldn't help myself.

TD

On 2008-05-25 08:36, blindy the pirate wrote:

I don't get it.

BK

Been looking for indirect lighting for my lounge. Picked the first one up at a Hot Rod show for $10.00!

This one I actually bought with a crappy modern shade. I then found the kool shade & it fit just right. $25.00 total.

Picked this little lantern up at an antique mall for $3.00. I'm hoping to find some way to electrify it.

Let's see everyone else's lamps. I know there're some kool ones out there.

I've heard people here talk of the fictitious "Owl Central" as the counterpart to Tiki Central. I think I found a devotee. This REALLY creeped me out, I guess like some people feel creeped out by some of our HUGE Tiki collections.

Local retirement village estate sale being held this weekend:
http://www.hshestatesales.com/HSH_pics1/index.html

NOTE: Sorry all, the link above no longer works. I should have copied some of the photos to post here. Live and learn.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2008-07-17 07:42 ]

BK

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies