Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

Found some nice stuff at garage sales last weekend.

This was absolutely my favorite toy when I was growing up:

Mattel Thingmaker "Fright Factory","Fun Flowers" and "Creeple Peeple" sets. Did anyone else have these as a kid?

I also found a couple of un-used Tupper-Toys "Snapics" picture sets from 1965:

A mint, never-used Moulinex food processor from 1969:

And this toy, miniature, cast-iron, wood-burning stove with all its working parts and pots and pans:

It looks like it was made for dolls, or perhaps a salesman sample.

I think I spent $35 on all of it. A very gratifying haul.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-04-08 18:25 ]

T
thejab posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2004 6:48 PM

Those Thing Maker sets bring back memories of Plastigoop!

I had some good finds last weekend also. I found a 1959/60 AAA tour book of the entire Southwest (AZ, CA, NM, NV, UT). There are plenty of great motel ads and descriptions of many tiki establishments long since gone. I also found some 1950s decorating and home improvement books, a 1963 State Farm atlas (great for finding old highway routes), and several exotica records in great shape. The lot was $20.

A rabbit playing the accordian!!!! How hot is that.

"Deep Purple" Deep? Purple? Organ Poetry? What kind of album is this. High marks for the pre star trek tinfoil suit and the careful examination of the grapes (I've got my own "Organ Poetry" goin' on yaknowwhatI'msaying)

S

Been wanting one of these for ages. This isn't the nicest I have seen, but a damn good one. It was at a make-shift flea market a few blocks from the house. First person said $40, the owner said $25. SOLD! These pics make it look scratched up. It is not. Minty. I cleaned it with Windex and it now sparkles!

It must weigh 40 pounds! Works a bit. Need some lube.

On 2004-04-23 09:03, Swanky wrote:
Been wanting one of these for ages. This isn't the nicest I have seen, but a damn good one.

igor, prepare for the brain transfer process!!!

sweet, dude.

D

I can see a gal about town,sitting under the bonnet with pink plastic rollers,a Tom Collins in one hand and a unfiltered Camel in the other-ready for some swingin'good time-too much!

Just found some kitch stuff:

The bottom one is indeed made of various trypes of wood, and she looks as though she's hiding an axe! Scary stuff...

Trader Woody

I pity the fool who don't bring sumthin' nice to Tiki Oasis to trade for Mr Chia-T!

Sabu

T

I had a woman say that to me once.

...about her hair dryer, natch.

S

On 2004-04-26 21:00, tikibars wrote:

I had a woman say that to me once.

...about her hair dryer, natch.

I suppose it got real hot too...

At the weekend I went to a car boot sale (like a flea market or something) with the hope of buying an old portable record player for the Lono Lounge. It seemed wrong to have a Tiki bar with a modern sound system, so I wanted something that would just play vinyl, ideally one of those turntable/amp/speaker systems with a carrying handle. I struck it lucky within 10 minutes - this little beauty cost £5 ($10) and just needed a wipe with a damp cloth. Even the original 12" vinyl shape paper instructions were on the turntable.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-04-29 17:49 ]

On 2004-04-28 10:36, Trader Woody wrote:
At the weekend I went to a car boot sale (like a flea market or something) with the hope of buying an old portable record player for the Lono Lounge. It seemed wrong to have a Tiki bar with a modern sound system, so I wanted something that would just play vinyl, ideally one of those turntable/amp/speaker systems with a carrying handle. I struck it lucky within 10 minutes - this little beauty cost £5 ($10) and just needed a wipe with a damp cloth. Even the original 12" vinyl shape paper instructions were on the turntable.

Trader Woody

the wife found this when we went to an antique mall in frederick, md.

she calls it "nicholas cage's camera"
:)

On 2004-05-04 07:44, Johnny Dollar wrote:

she calls it "nicholas cage's camera"
:)

I can see why! Is this camera going to be a 'symbol' of your 'personal freedom'?
Cool find!

Trader Woody

I found this big ass Witco Ship sitting by a dilapidated trailer home along with a bunch of rusted kitchen items. No one was by it so I knocked on the shack and some guy in his underwear brushing his teeth answered and said I could have it for 10 bucks. With a little Scott’s Liquid Gold I restored it to its former glory.

Big enough for other tikis to set sail to the land of milk and mai tais

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-05-16 12:40 ]

I found this shirt hanging in a closet of an estate sale

and a gun embroidered on the sleeve

sadly there were no tuxedos or laser watches at this sale

schwing!

I finally found something worth posting on this thread.

Notice the suave gold tooth, and his teeth chatter when you pull the tab on his head. Score.

Just found one of these Coleco Galaxian table-top games at Value Village for $5. And It works great!

This one pictured here isn't mine. Mine is actually a bit more beat up, but has all the stickers and still looks pretty good.

On that same trip I also found a black velvet painting of a tropical scene that will look great in my tiki bar (when I finally have one). I'll later try to post a pic of that and the black velvet painting of a chimp playing poker that I got 2 weeks ago.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-05-30 21:54 ]

I got this bull in a package deal with some other wood stuff.

A rough-hewn symbol of male power and stamina mounted on shag carpet...yeah, baby, yeah! The back shows that there may be red fabric under the black shag.

Also thrown in was this Western scene:

I don't know if either are Witco but I like the bull in any case. An odd thing about the Western scene is that the back of the piece is surface-burned where it wouldn't even show.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-07-13 03:43 ]

This week I found a hermetically sealed estate sale that was like unearthing a time capsule and in a desk drawer the basement found a treasure trove of those rock and roll belt buckles that they use to sell in head shops when head shops were in malls (Still trying to figure out the band with the rose though). Now if I could only find one of those posters of the old lady flipping the bird it would be like high school all over again.

That's an awesome find Nauga. I don't ever wear belts but I'm always looking for buckles. My favorite is a 1979 Incredible Hulk made by Lee.

DZ

Naugatiki-- I don't know what you're planning on doing with them, but they can bring a pretty penny on eBay, doncha know... About a year ago, I sold a Queen "News Of The World" buckle for more than $150, and a Zeppelin "Swan Song" logo buckle for $80.

Any way you can post a close-up of the 'rose' buckle?

tikijackalope wrote:
I got this bull (It was sold as a Rhino, but I'm pretty sure its a bull) in a package deal with some other wood stuff....I don't know if either are Witco but I like the bull in any case; I'll probably sell the Western scene to offset my costs. An odd thing about the Western scene is that the back of the piece is surface-burned where it wouldn't even show.

Tikijackalope, great finds! Yes, they are both Witco. As for the burning, the whole piece was burned at the Witco factory, of course, before being painted, so that's why there would be the traditional "Witco burn" on the back. I only have the book on the Witco process, but Keigs20 could probably give you more insight on the process if you need details. In any case, listing the Western scene as a Witco on Ebay would be telling the truth.

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4309072594&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I just addded this baby to the saucer house collection - I have 4 already, but hey, I like to be ready when company comes (especially at this price!)

D

Naugatiki-I believe the rose belt buckle is Santana-I had a t-shirt from the album "Festival '77" from them.I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the comments guys, I also have a Wings buckle that I forgot to scan. A Google confirmed that the rose is Santana.
I can never figure out how someone can practically give away something with such obvious value for nothing, but that what keeps me going and willing to wade through a ton of Happy Meal toys for one Westwood tiki mug.

Tacky Spanish decanter that weighs a ton and smells of aniseed when you remove the rotting cork.

Trader Woody

K
kctiki posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2004 6:44 PM

Caveman with Cat

Lion & Owls

I am in awe of "Caveman With Cat". It needs to hang next to a Witco.

I found a photo album at a garage sale on Saturday which had these great items from Grad Nite at Disneyland, 1974:

Sabu

Also found that video that you always see in the back of Details magazine but wonder if anyone ever orders.

Unfortunately, since it is still sealed, I will be unable to partake of its fabled wisdom before selling it on E-bay. Oh well - my loss.

T

Nothing is better than finding old Disneyland photos....
Nice!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 9, 2004 3:41 PM

Wait a minute! that guy was at Tiki Pa'ina!

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:37 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 9, 2004 3:54 PM

I just found him at Hukilau last year too!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:37 ]

Yeah, I spotted him at Doctor Z's party last week. He ate a bunch of coconut chicken, drank 5 mai-tais, then trucked on outta there.

SOMEBODY's gotta bring da funk...

Found a couple of items this week that aren't quite tiki but pretty close

Once I get over the cover I'll start on this one.

3X8 foot fabric of old Las Vegas watering holes, not sure if I'll make something out of it or frame it.

B

We just found a copy of "White Witch Doctor" a week ago as well.
Errieeeeee.....

I found a couple of neat bar stools in a Salvation Army store. Does it strike anyone else as funny that we get so much stuff used in drinking at Salvation Army stores?

J

Told myself long ago:
"Some things are inherently evil. Don't let them into the house or at 2am they will go for the cutlery."

Short list:
Troll dolls
Most things with clowns on them. Clowny-clown-clown...
Ventriloquist dummies.

Well, I saw this feller at a thrift store and broke my own rule. Made sure they packaged him up real good for the trip home. Could just imagine it coming up behind me and staring at me in the rear-view mirror. I'd ditch the car and roll.

It's a very well made (probably homemade) venriloquist bird puppet-sort-of-thing.

The wings flap up and down, the feet spin, his beak opens and closes, head does a mean 360° Exorcist move and each eye has independent movement, allowing for the creepiest Sammy Davis Jr imitation you will ever see.

Showing the ol' hand-hole.

Really well made, good to scare people over cubicle walls. Well worth the $1.49.
I may have to sell him on eBay if "accidents" start happening.

Also found this cool CB glass. Going on eBay within a few days...

Never realized a Volkwagon was called a "Pregnant Roller Skate". You learn something new every day, good buddy.

JonPez
http://www.playgroundzero.net/tiki/
------_-

-On the eternal search for the recipe for Kobe's white sauce -

[ Edited by: JonPez on 2004-09-17 06:11 ]

J
JTD posted on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 7:57 AM

JonPez,
When they find your lifeless body all pecked to death, then you'll be sorry.

JTD

i've been searching for a black velvet painting of elvis or something for the Rongorongo Room, but instead i got this for $5.99 ~ it will go into the dog-themed guest room

That is so wrong! LOL!!

On 2004-09-17 04:14, tikijackalope wrote:
I found a couple of neat bar stools in a Salvation Army store. Does it strike anyone else as funny that we get so much stuff used in drinking at Salvation Army stores?

tikijackalope - The San Francisco Antique & Design Mall (the one on Bayshore Blvd. in case anyone needs to know) had a set of the same pattern in swivel bar chairs and matching "barrel" bar a few weeks ago. I think the 4 chairs were going as a set for around $200.00, although I could be wrong...

S

Got some great stuff for cheap and incredibly cheap:

A perfect telephone chair ($28), awesome lamp ($28), G-R-E-A-T planter ($3), groovey aqua coffee cup ($5), swank ketchup bottle, giant cat not included.

Sparkley plastic bowl. What can I plant in here? Without drainage, nothing but bamboo will live right? (smaller cat not included)

Love the ketchup! Love it all!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:33 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:21 ]

Swanky,

I thought maybe that sparkly jobbie was an ice bucket with stand? Reminds me of them anyhow

You could put some rocks in the bottom for drainage, and I hear Peace Lilies like it swampy. I've got a venus fly trap and a pitcher plant, both like very wet feet.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-10-18 18:17 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies