Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

Founds a nice lot of superhero glasses from Pepsi that has worked the inner nerd in me into a lather.

8T

Nice find on those glasses. I've collected those for years but mostly the comic characters. The super heroes with the circles behind them are harder to find. Especially Batgirl. I hope you enjoy them but never put them through the dishwasher. It will dull them over time.

On 2010-09-27 20:42, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Nice find on those glasses. I've collected those for years but mostly the comic characters. The super heroes with the circles behind them are harder to find. Especially Batgirl. I hope you enjoy them but never put them through the dishwasher. It will dull them over time.

Thanks for the tip, the woman I got them from bought them at a gas station way back and I was more impressed by the condition than the glasses. I can't tell you how many glasses like this I've seen in the wild that are almost faded beyond recognition.

This Disney ashtray/candy dish I picked up sure looks like Treasure Craft, but doesn't say so on the bottom. Is my guess correct?

L

When we were leaving Wendy and Dan's on Monday Duane spotted this in a mound of stuff on the curb and I ran to go get it:

sweet!

Found me one of these nut crackers at a Goodwill store, where it was just $2. I'm kinda surprised they had it on the shelf, I expect them to be too conservative for this kind of thing. Then, I thought these were from the Phillipeans and so was surprised to see the Hawaiian sticker on the back.

Found these (3) green, metal flake chairs in great shape for 10 bucks at a yard sale. Look like they could be from a bowling alley or diner? If you know any info on them, let me know. Can't find much online. Great chairs, though.

those are awesome chairs! Congrats!

@Bongo...I believe you are correct in the Disney tray being a TreasureCraft Piece. It is slightly possible that it could be a Japan clone, but I doubt it. I don't think the Japanese were making ceramic pieces in the likes of TC products.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-26 00:23 ]

N

A nearly 6 foot long Ancient Roman relief tryptic in gold and plastic. Anyone for a toga party?

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2010-11-03 09:23 ]

TS

Found a couple of 'koooool' items for reasonable prices.
First is a never used, or new old stock Coffee travel kit intact with the tags and warranty, even. I'm guessing late 1960's/early 70's based on the green color perculator,cups and the graphic cards. It even came with the unopned green MJB coffee canister.

And then....I'm a sucker for MCM, and this was something I've always wanted. Not exactly the style, but a vintage console, none the less. Its a Grundig Majestic model 7090/USA(1956-57) and came with the brouchure, schematic paper, and original die cut cardboard record with printed instructions for the REX/AA 4 speed turntable.

It even had a 1948 wheathead penny inside the back that must have fell in, and also a born on date tag still attached. August 16,1956.

I don't believe the back had ever been off of the console for work. The tubes still had original black fineline tape holding the tubes in, which is something i learned the factory did.
Downside is that, it isn't working, and I found at least one reason why so far.One Burnt out cyliner glass fuse. I ordered some online, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival, so I can get this thing running again. I've learned alot in the last 3 days alone, regarding the capacitors, paper caps, resistors and such. I am ready to get power into this and start replacing parts as needbe to get it restored. Afterall, even though it isn't powering up right now, it is in immaculant shape.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-11-03 15:16 ]

Tom
That Hi-Fi's a beauty. I was about 6 yrs old in '56 and remember my parents Hi-Fi console from Montgomery Wards. It weighed a ton.

On 2010-11-03 15:14, Tom Slick wrote:
And then....I'm a sucker for MCM, and this was something I've always wanted. Not exactly the style, but a vintage console, none the less. Its a Grundig Majestic model 7090/USA(1956-57) and came with the brouchure, schematic paper, and original die cut cardboard record with printed instructions for the REX/AA 4 speed turntable.

I'm happy to see you were wearing pants in this photo. Nice find!

TS

Dr, yes, this is a pretty heavy piece itself! I can't wait to get into it and make this console, sing!(Downside is the needle cartrige was listed at $113.xx on a vintage record player webiste, claiming these are rare.(Ouch!) Hope the needle I have isn't too bad! I can replace all of the resistors and replace the old paper caps with the newer mylar for under $30. The tubes vary in price(Average between $6-25, $25 being the highest, and only one needed at that cost. Like I mentioned, this isn't my ideal console set to own, but for the price and condition, I really couldn't pass it up.(Plus it will give me some practice and knowledge restoring the electronics as I go!)

Slacks, HAHAHAHA!...glad you pointed that out. It could gotten ugly real fast, had I been in shorts, or less... :lol:

BK

Damn, Tom! Great stuff! I don't even drink coffee & I want that! :lol:

TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-11-05 14:08 ]

atomic age MGD sign,I can not find any info on this.
it's metal,and the inside section swivels.

Hey, TD. I don't think MGD's been around much more than 15 or 20 years. I'd be taking the MGD sign out & using that cool atomic part for something else.

On 2010-11-19 17:25, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey, TD. I don't think MGD's been around much more than 15 or 20 years. I'd be taking the MGD sign out & using that cool atomic part for something else.

I was thinking the same thing.

According to Wikipedia, MGD was introduced in 1985

anyone have or are doing a mid-century home office?

maple /tweed/red leather

On 2010-11-20 17:40, MadDogMike wrote:
According to Wikipedia, MGD was introduced in 1985

I can verify this. I used to work for a Miller beer distributor back in the late 90's. I don't remember the exact date, but around the early-mid 90's Miller decided to make the beer seem hip by abbreviating it. Yes,long before Kentucky Fried Chicken thought of it. I hate to say that the POS (point of sale) sign is not old atomic age, but a newer incarnation.

But have no fear, there are a few options you can choose. You could sell it to someone who collects beer memorabilia, have someone (or yourself if you are inclined) design a retro been label and such and replace the Miller text and logo, or keep it as is an enjoy it. I honestly don't see a problem with it as is, but I do enjoy Miller Genuine Draft on occasions to remember the old days when I started drinking. Bottom line is that not matter what the age, it's a nice sign!

ADRIAN PEARSALL “JACKS” WALNUT COFFEE TABLE

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2011-01-30 12:45 ]

R
Rorysm posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2011 8:55 AM

On 2009-06-07 18:37, Big Kahuna wrote:
Picked this Mid-Century display case up at an auction a couple of weeks back. Finally got it reassembled, cleaned & filled (for now).:

I have this same case! My mom picked it up for $10 at an auction. It's in great shape but it is incredibly light, kind of plastic feeling, right? I wonder if anyone knows anything else about these.

Aloha Folks,

some of my latest thrift store finds:

Mahalo,
HT

Found this nice globe bar at the thrift store today for next to nothing which is just what I had in my wallet. After a major cleanup I think it looks great. I am not sure what the plaque is about. The piece must have been a gift item as it is to small for a store display. The interior has spaces for small glasses and an area in the middle for an ice bucket.

That is a spectacular find. Wow.

Nice score, Trav.

Thanks guys. I am going to try and fit it into my bar. It's not Tiki by a long shot but tucked into a corner with some of my other nautical junk I think I can pull it off. People get a kick out of me calling that tiny area the "Captain's Cabin" but it works for me.

Heck yeah that's a nice globe bar. I've been looking at them online for some time and the average price is close to $200. Great score!

$ 27 bucks is what I paid and ran out the door with it.

N

I found this rattan lamp. It has a woven cord so it may be from the 40's or 30's.

Anyone have any information on this. Or have any idea what the original shade was like.

And I found a cousin of the Moai mosaic.

Not a mark on it anywhere to identify it's origin. Probably a kit, but it must have been a really big, really heavy kit.

Found this pair of African statues at a small yard sale that really give the room a "The natives are getting restless" vibe.

On 2011-02-23 14:24, naugatiki wrote:
"The natives are getting restless"

They keep rubbing their stomachs and pointing to the large kettle on the fire.

On 2011-02-23 08:02, uncle trav wrote:
$ 27 bucks is what I paid and ran out the door with it.

Luck of the Uncle!! I would have been giggling like a little girl the whole way.

This is my latest find that I am truly excited about. It's a circa 1977 Marantz 2265b stereo. It's in fantastic shape overall and it sounds super sweet and I think it's a true beauty. :)

On 2010-01-23 18:15, leleliz wrote:
I just found this in a thrift store in the kids toy section.

Its from 1972 and I thought it was just a kid's game of checker's to use on the floor.

Until I saw it was 2 adults in the picture. And that it was intended for Swingers!

That's right strip checkers ! Each of the game pieces has an article of clothing on it-black for the guys and red ones for the girls.
Oh and the checkerboard is fur!

Brillant!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-01-23 21:50 ]

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had that set! I found it in my parent's basement and took it home. Then a roomate stole it and I've never seen one since.

A real boomerang table has been on my list of things to find for a long time. I made one myself to use until now. I'm really happy with this two-tiered one that showed up in an antique mall I'm in regularly.

On 2011-03-25 06:01, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
A real boomerang table has been on my list of things to find for a long time. I made one myself to use until now. I'm really happy with this two-tiered one that showed up in an antique mall I'm in regularly.

Killer find there Bongo!!!! Was that from a small Southern Mi. town that you and I know about? All I have to show is this awesome vintage hand painted silk tie. $0.99 was the right price. I think it may date from the late 40's.

Thanks Trav and I love your tie. The table came from one of the antique malls in Niles, just north of the Indiana line. I have a restaurant five minutes from there.

Found these today, anybody seen a shot dispenser like this before?

UT

Nice find Erk. I have seen a bunch of those over the years at antique shows and shops. I think many of them came with a top to cover the contents. Kind of a chrome half of the globe thing if that makes any sense. Looks like Mego Mr. Spock might be looking for some Romulan Ale from that dispenser :D

UT

On 2011-03-30 05:57, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Thanks Trav and I love your tie. The table came from one of the antique malls in Niles, just north of the Indiana line. I have a restaurant five minutes from there.

I get down to Niles once in a great while. Whats the name of your restaurant? The wife and I may stop in sometime for lunch.

Hhehe, it will help him drown out the pain of his leg being held on with a rubber band.

N

Nothing tiki so far this season (yard sale season that is) but as a nice consolation I found this sweet driftwood and coral mushroom lamp that looks like elves make cookies inside it.

On 2011-03-31 22:27, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Found these today, anybody seen a shot dispenser like this before?

I got me one of these with the top. Mine has a bowler on top of the dome. I'll have to remember to add a photo of it later...

I need to go back to the flea market and see if maybe the top is there somewhere. I'd like to have the whole piece but I'm happy with what I found.

On my bday, came across 137 record Album/Lp lot. Here are a few I bought it for;

The boxed lot was $5 for all...

Same store found this cool 1950s-esque advertising glass;

Muntz Realty with Turquoise and Gold colors.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2011-04-20 12:59 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies