Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

WHAT?,I have no idea.
WHERE?,a flea market.
WHY? ,because I thought they were cool.
A couple of hand held 'SURREALIST MASKS'

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-12-11 05:25 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-12-12 16:15 ]

Cool vintage 3 foot long clock with fish on it. It even requires a key to wind it.

T

We picked up this Tune tote case on the left a few weeks ago, and the geo one on the right a while back..

Thanks

Found this at my local "Savers" today. Pirates House, Savannah, Georgia printed in gold on eyepatch. While cool, it's not "Tiki", gonna give it to my son.
Cheers

Found in Key Largo today.looks to be mid to late 40's Chris Craft.
Gotta wait till I get home to check my books

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2013-02-19 18:44 ]

A storage locker brought in a few fun finds today, first a Witco conquistador wall hanging with the tag on the back that identifies it as Octiw which is Witco spelled backwards Batman, and this ceramic ashtray of a car with fins that says something like Linia on the front of it, ever hear of the company?

That is the coolest ashtray I have ever seen!!!

Bell and Howell 8mm projector
Works great
Now I can watch the movie I found titled "HAWAII"

jon

On 2013-02-28 18:43, hang10tiki wrote:
Bell and Howell 8mm projector
Works great
Now I can watch the movie I found titled "HAWAII"

jon

Den you gotta find all your udda stuff an make da Mai Tai . Outstanding!

:)

Today at a garage sale this cool large framed plane soaring above the clouds caught my eye, and when I checked out the woman selling it told me it was the original artwork from a Boeing 707 ad campaign that was used in Life and Sunset magazine in the 50’s.

and here's the ad I think she was referring to

Love the painting!

Our new shadow box. Thanks to our Portland friends for finding this for us! We love it, it really transforms the room. It's about twice the size of our first shadow box.

scored 3 boxes of pristine, unused ceiling and wall tile from the 50's/60's. Over 180 tiles in 3 original big boxes. features a cool atomic starburst motif.

BK

Those are great, Tipsy! You gonna use 'em?

On 2013-04-04 13:41, Big Kahuna wrote:
Those are great, Tipsy! You gonna use 'em?

I would like to - just got figure out where.

Found this at a moving sale Sunday. The little dark dots are holes for toothpicks (hors d'oeuvre) a la Treasure Craft menehune w/pinapple. My new tiki bar is almost done and this little pachyderm gets to sit on the barback.
The gent I got him from said his mom bought it in the 50's. It has quite a bit of crazing but not a chip anywhere.
Cheers

On our road trip last weekend here's the stash my lil wahine came home with...

On 2013-04-15 20:08, hang10tiki wrote:

On our road trip last weekend here's the stash my lil wahine came home with..

.Jon, My wife CeCe says that your lil wahine finds better stuff than you and I. She was "wowed" by L W's finds.
Cheers,
David

On 2013-04-03 19:59, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
scored 3 boxes of pristine, unused ceiling and wall tile from the 50's/60's. Over 180 tiles in 3 original big boxes. features a cool atomic starburst motif.

Be careful, a lot of the old floor tiles contain "Asbestos"....

I have worked with these tiles in the construction biz over the years. They are literally everywhere. The are perfectly safe if handled properly. The asbestos is locked in a matrix in the tile and will only be released if it becomes "friable" this can only happen if the material is sanded or cut with power tools. There are many website about using these tiles.

Lil wahine found 2 more

Wife is on fire

WOW! That last batch is killer!

T

I WANT FISH!!! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!

I found this really cool shell lamp. Don't know how old it is but it looks vintage.

The best part is that it still works!

The bad part is that I want to replace the cord, and at some point the bulb will die, and I have no clue hoe to open this thing up. It looks like it was cut in the back, the cord inserted, that glued back up. I'm afraid since that shell is older then when it was turned into a lamp that it might be too fragile to reopen.

All of these I found in my grandmother's basement. 2 of the films are Woody Woodpecker, 1 is an Abbot & Costello and the rest are family home movies. They're in 8mm and not Super 8.
The home movie cameras weigh a ton, especially the Bell and Howell. The B & H projector still works and is built like a tank. The still camera is a Brownie Hawkeye and the other movie camera is a Kodak Brownie. All of the instructions were kept with the cameras. There is a even a film splicing kit with the films.

Nolikefire- cool lamp, looks like it's on fire. Kool

Tikilongbeach- way cool

Jon

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-04-29 21:16 ]

A gift from my sister

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 12, 2013 9:41 AM

Not Witco.

This is a wall sconce that was turned into a table lamp. There aren't an markings on it. The cord is an electrical fire waiting to happen and needs to be replaced.
Quite a bit of cleaning and TLC will make it look pretty again.

On 2013-05-12 09:41, GROG wrote:
Not Witco.

ha!

I think that may be one of the few posts Tiki David has done in the past few years that was NOT Witco!

although knowing him I am sure he found an entire living room set along with this shirt :)

P

I usually don't have much opportunity for thrifting, but we dropped into Old Bones antiques while in Key West. The woman behind the counter told us that they had a supplier with family in Cuba who brings stuff back for them.

They had a pretty nice selection of nautical antiques. Among other things, they had 3 or 4 of the hugest glass fishing floats I have ever seen, they must have been 24"-30" in diameter. They all had a ponti and seemed pretty thick, I was really wondering if they could be real.

Swizzle sticks from Cuba:

pink: 3 Toneles
blue: Tropicana
green: Bacardi - note that the bat is flying out of a bottle
yellow: Montmartre

Tropicana, Truffin Ave. & Linea (B-4544). This claims to be the largest and most beautiful night club in the world. Located on what was once an extensive private estate, Tropicana has two complete sets of stages, table areas and dance floors. If the weather is fine, the outdoor area is used; otherwise everyone moves to the indoor area. Tall palm trees growing among the tables lend the proper tropical atmosphere and blend well with the ultra-modernistic architecture. Shows include 50-dancer chorus lines which often branch out into the trees. Rhythms and costumes are colorfully native (voodoo is a frequent theme.) Top names often star. Minimum at tables is $4.50 per person, but this can be avoided by sitting at bar which has adequate view of stage.

Montmarte, 23rd St & P (U-5207). Montmartre is the only major Havana night club that is entirely indoors. It is more conveniently located (in the Vedado section) than Tropicana, which is a 20-minute ride from the center of Havana. Montmartre, which used to confine its shows to a series of acts, now also goes in for large-scale productions, directed by an American. Name acts are frequently imported (most recent: Los Chavales de Espana). There is a $4.50 minimum at the tables, but none at the two bars (both of which afford a view of the stage).

[ Edited by: Philot 2013-05-21 20:39 ]

Lightning strikes again !!!! The one on the right was a gift from my sister recently. Found the one on the left this weekend. Anyone have any info on these vintage guys?

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2013-05-29 14:18 ]

Uncle Trav was there a hula dancer in The Village People because that is what I instantly thought of when seeing your dolls :wink:

On 2013-05-29 14:12, SandraDee wrote:
Uncle Trav was there a hula dancer in The Village People because that is what I instantly thought of when seeing your dolls :wink:

HOLY CRAP !!!! Your right. That's sooo wrong but your right. Gotta find a CHiP's doll now for the cop.

1940's lovell buoy light...

8T

WOW, I wish I had my camera with me last Saturday so that I could show you what blew my mind at a yard sale I stopped at. This lady had over 100 beer can crocheted hats from the 1970's that her Great G'ma had made. She said there about 150 when she gathered them up for the sale. I think they were all different and it was amazing. They were $3 each or 4 for $10. I wonder how much she would have taken for them all? I didn't ask. I only bought this one:

It looks completely ridiculous on me so I put it on my Pisco carving for a different view.

8T

Another cool find last Sat. Four old aluminum tiki torches. The poles were missing. I guess that's why the price was 25 cents!
Now I gotta clean them up.

PP

picked these up yesterday so in love with them gonna re-do my living room to match!!

PP, Those Merladies are so cool! Wat' s the story behind em
David, La Mirada, Ca.

On 2013-06-14 21:38, 8FT Tiki wrote:
WOW, I wish I had my camera with me last Saturday so that I could show you what blew my mind at a yard sale I stopped at. This lady had over 100 beer can crocheted hats from the 1970's that her Great G'ma had made. She said there about 150 when she gathered them up for the sale. I think they were all different and it was amazing. They were $3 each or 4 for $10. I wonder how much she would have taken for them all? I didn't ask. I only bought this one:

It looks completely ridiculous on me so I put it on my Pisco carving for a different view.

8 Foot, That is the most ridiculous hat I've ever seen. I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
Congrat's
David

I found these on etsy.com. A guy on there makes vintage looking shadow boxes and I thought this would fit in with my decor. It reminds me of the knick-knacks at Trader Sam's.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRagNBoneEmporium?page=1

Nice ear piece
But 3?
Not sure who got it worse, the guy left with 1 ear or the guy with none...

Jon

On 2013-07-16 18:14, tikilongbeach wrote:
I found these on etsy.com. A guy on there makes vintage looking shadow boxes and I thought this would fit in with my decor. It reminds me of the knick-knacks at Trader Sam's.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRagNBoneEmporium?page=1

Jon, you be crazy, fix yourself another!
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-07-19 01:42 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-07-19 01:44 ]

On 2013-07-18 22:16, hang10tiki wrote:
Nice ear piece
But 3?
Not sure who got it worse, the guy left with 1 ear or the guy with none...

Jon

Obviously the guy with no ears didn't learn his lesson the first time! The necklace probably belonged to his wife. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies