Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

This week I hit an estate sale of a retired aerospace engineer full of fun stuff like Playboy mags from the 60's, scifi paperback books, and naughty novels with titles like Coffee, Tea, or Me, but what go me really pushed it over the brink were these vintage TWA posters rolled up in the closet and a Middle Earth by Brem. He lived a charmed life.

These dead fishies (the text on the shell says "Mallorca") plus the small Vudu bottle and one of the African figurines are all from a recent trip across the border to Sweden. The baby croc was a gift from one of my uncles to my parents back when he was sailing the seven seas, guessing sometime in the early 60s - it's been hidden in one of their closets for as long as I can remember, so I asked if I could have it.

I found this lovely old credenza in a local second hand store, one of my favourite purchases this year.
I've hidden my dvd player and cable box behind one of the wooden doors.
Would love to have my TV hidden inside a cabinet hanging above the credenza, but for now the TV just sits on top of it.

The umbrella stand came from the same shop, it was too cool to leave behind. Now I'll have to buy an umbrella!

G

Nice find!

Here is my chunk swag lamp, some assembly required. And a cool homemade trivet made from the same pieces.

gabbahey

Sorry for the cell phone picture.

K

No, not looted while out on the prowl with the lads, a legit decommissioned street sign
from Belmont, Perth.

Picked up this awesome mid-century Homecrest rocker lounge and footstool today. It is in awesome shape. The fabric and color are reminiscent of the orange background of the Witco outrigger piece. It really hurt my wallet when I had to fork over the five dollars for it.

Here's a little clam shell I picked up at a yard sale... Yep, it's real. (Soda can for size reference)

Great find on that chair & ottoman, Trav!

GE portable turntable
Works great
:)

UT

Cool finds on the record player and the giant shell !!! Presenting the Melnor Roll & Reel lawn sprinkler. Fresh from the time machine, star date 1962. This little gem has a front wheel that fits over the stretched out garden hose. The sprinkler moves along the hose a reels the hose up as it moves. Another fun Michigan find and still works perfectly.

Love it, Trav! Looks like it was hardly used.

UT

Thanks BK. That sprinkler has wheels but it's no hotrod. It redlines at about twelve feet an hour. Another beyond find is this 1959 life mask of Vincent Price for my wife, she loves Mr. Price.

UnKa Trav-
I was looking at this post on my iPad
Images enlarged
Slowly scrolling down, when I saw Vincent Price
I thought it was a real person until I scrolled down to the neck area
That was funny
Looked so real

Just over 100 different vintage Vegas postcards

And this book of matches

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-09-08 20:19 ]

So I bought this nautical ship light.... I'm no expert in nautical lights, but I own quite a few and like them. This one had me confused but for $50 I liked it and I especially liked the price. About 14in tall and 10in across...
After research, it turns out its an Adlake railroad light for a bridge or a pier.....who knew?
I still dig it, and I doubt Anyone will ever know when I mix it in with my other nautical stuff....

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2013-09-15 16:27 ]

found this cool lamp while hunting tiki. now the wife wants to redo our dining area mcm.
oh great!

I was all happy when I found this, I've always wanted one. All the ones in the past have been fat money. My excitement became disappointment when I saw all the damage (chipped noses, missing arm, cracked base) but he was cheap and I bought him anyway. I'll angle him in the corner so the missing arm isn't so noticeable.... I think I'm gonna fashion him a skirt or sarong of sorts to cover his business...

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2013-09-22 15:48 ]

UT

Scored this 1978 Star Trek back glass for a pinball machine. It is a peice of art in my view. The photo can't even begin to show the colors of the graphics.

Thrift store find: 5 Siestaware mugs. If they are from a 6 piece set I am missing the white mug.I don’t consider them “Tiki” or Hawaiiana but the colors will go well with our MCM stuff.

On 2013-09-18 01:22, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
found this cool lamp while hunting tiki. now the wife wants to redo our dining area mcm.
oh great!

Snagged this fiberglass/resin globe at a used furniture/antique store this morning. The store owner said it came from Bahookas.
I”ve patronized this store for years. The globe is very dusty and the fishnet leads me to believe this claim. Never seen a resin/fishnet combo anywhere else.
I’m removing the net -it’s gonna be a Swag lamp once again.
It will go well with the white lamp I found earlier.

On 2013-10-06 13:54, uncle trav wrote:
Scored this 1978 Star Trek back glass for a pinball machine. It is a peice of art in my view. The photo can't even begin to show the colors of the graphics.

Look what found:

T

"Never seen a resin/fishnet combo anywhere else.
I’m removing the net -it’s gonna be a Swag lamp once again."

Try looking at Svens house.

"I’m removing the net"
Nooo!

On 2008-10-19 14:25, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Picked up another vintage speargun today...

Older "Sea Hornet" model made by JD Preece and Co Pty. Ltd. Sydney Australia.

"You'll shoot your eye out".

PTD

I have a TD preece & co pty ltd Sydney aust sea hornet and would like to no info about it and the price of it thanks?

While walking along a beach north of Kapa'a on kauai my wife found a large tangle of net and rope that had washed ashore and was half buried in the sand. My mouth was watering! Ropes of all size's,finger thick to 5 1/5". Dozens of different nets,thick and thin and in a rainbow of colors. I was able to cut a few pieces of rope and a couple of large sections of net wid my pocket knife. The big thick mooring ropes were beyond the capabilities of my knife. pix to follow in bout a week.
Cheers

On 2013-11-06 23:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
While walking along a beach north of Kapa'a on kauai my wife found a large tangle of net and rope that had washed ashore and was half buried in the sand. My mouth was watering! Ropes of all size's,finger thick to 5 1/5". Dozens of different nets,thick and thin and in a rainbow of colors. I was able to cut a few pieces of rope and a couple of large sections of net wid my pocket knife. The big thick mooring ropes were beyond the capabilities of my knife. pix to follow in bout a week.
Cheers

here are the pix.
as found

At home`not sure where it will be used. 3 pc.s net 4’x12', 4’x8’, and 4’x10'

Gonna use the largest gauge net for some large glass floats I have been holding off making some netting for.
I really like the color of the found net.

TM

Awesome!

Picked up this outrigger at a thrift in Claremont, Ca. Missing the sail kit but there are plenty of examples on TC that making a copy is no problem.
Cheers

Nui- awesome beach find.
So how big of a hole of you dig to
make sure there were no floats
under that netting?

H10, I poked around with that thought. The sand was very dense-I wished that I’d had a shovel. Especially after I talked to a local at his campsite and he had a float (plastic/rubber?) hanging in a tree at his campsite.
The net was buried at the high-tide line right as soon as you get to the first parking area at Anahola beach park
Anahola beach park is apprx, 14 miles n/o Kapa’a. Coming down from Princeville/Hanalei town it is precisely two exits south of “Whalers General Store”. I carry a small pocket knife (not on da plane) but it wasn’t enough.
Are you on Kauai yet?
Later,
David

Found at a thrift today on the way home from the “Velveteria” opening.
Poster is 26”x38” not tiki but going to hang in my tiki lounge

Collage is 13”x13” Made fron Hawaiian and California license plates. It’s going in my tiki lounge Too!

My wife CeCe found this gooseneck magnifying glass at a thrift. Sure gonna help these old eyes check out tiki finds as they come in.
Its apprx. 18” tall.
Cheers

Found some cool stuff this weekend at the Long Beach antique swap.

SANTA!! For only $35

And this vintage pull down lamp. Does anyone have any brochures or ads on this lamp? I'm trying to figure out the year of production on this thing. I'm hoping that it's early '60s, but I have a buddy who is calling it mid-sixties…

Also found this thing too! You can see her in the Book of Tiki (pictured on the right).

Spike, the lamp reminds me of a Rembrandt brand lamp. My grandparent's had fixtures like that in their house. I have a floor lamp that used to belong to them.
Rembrandt made traditonal and modern style lamps.

I just did a pretty extensive search under that Rembrandt name and didn't find much from that era…

This is the closest I've seen to my lamp… http://retrorenovation.com/2008/09/07/great-retro-pull-down-lights-for-your-kitchen-from-progress-vintage-1961/

This large pulley was bought at a “resale” store today. Mug (8”)shown for scale. Should look pretty cool in my tiki lounge.
Cheers

MN

On 2013-12-20 09:38, Luckydesigns wrote:

And this vintage pull down lamp. Does anyone have any brochures or ads on this lamp? I'm trying to figure out the year of production on this thing. I'm hoping that it's early '60s, but I have a buddy who is calling it mid-sixties…

Spike, it's possibly by Virden. Since you're thinking thinking '61 check out Virden's '59 catalogue. http://retrorenovation.com/2013/01/30/vintage-virden-lighting-52-page-catalog-from-1959/

found at local Goodwill today. Wristwatch shown for scale. Gotta find somewhere to place em in my tiki lounge.

Found at Value Village, approximately life-size. I believe the name for this type of thing is "comic foreground".

An early birthday gift from my wife. An inert XM388 ATOMIC PROJECTILE !!!! Made in the mid 1950's and used with the M-29 Davy Crockett Weapon System. What could be more 50's than Davy Crockett and nukes? Made to be shot down range with a recoilless rifle to a distance of two miles. As rare as hen's teeth and super cool. It will have a place down in the Hukilau Lounge as a tribute to the atomic age.

Well Uncle Trav you can now without a doubt use the word ATMOIC to truly describe a piece in your collection, I'm guessing not many people can do that. I'm with Jenn, put a top on it and use it as an end table, I know I wouldn't mind setting an icy beverage on it! Hate to say it, but it would probably have to be a Manhattan, well at least the first one anyway.

TM

Woah! Does that thing glow in the dark?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

EJ

That is super cool!! How did she find it?

She found it in a little antique mall that we frequent in a small town to the west of us. Never know what will turn up out there in the wild !

EJ

That makes it all the better!!

Could be PNG-could be African. Apprx. 2‘x 18”
Cheers

Snagged this fiberglass/resin globe at a used furniture/antique store this morning. The store owner said it came from Bahookas.
I”ve patronized this store for years. The globe is very dusty and the fishnet leads me to believe this claim. Never seen a resin/fishnet combo anywhere else.
I’m removing the net -it’s gonna be a Swag lamp once again.
It will go well with the white lamp I found earlier.

Im 99.9% sure that IS from Bahooka! It looks identical to the one I had inquired about, the week before they closed. The lady took my name down, and jotted down which lamp it was, and I was to call her back a few days later. Well, I did and found out that they "postponed" selling the stuff publicly, because they wanted to sell everything as a lot to one buyer....

Glad to see it wound up back in the TC community!

On 2014-01-18 22:08, Tom Slick wrote:

Im 99.9% sure that IS from Bahooka! It looks identical to the one I had inquired about, the week before they closed. The lady took my name down, and jotted down which lamp it was, and I was to call her back a few days later. Well, I did and found out that they "postponed" selling the stuff publicly, because they wanted to sell everything as a lot to one buyer....

Glad to see it wound up back in the TC community!

I almost removed the net and was planning on converting it to a mcm “swag” lamp as I’m sure that was what the sphere was made/designed for. Thankfully, Tikiskip brought it to my attention and it’s now hanging in my tikilonge as the tiki gods intended
Mahalo Tom slick

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-01-18 23:07 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-01-19 22:32 ]

The wahine found this while I was at work.

Fresh lime juice anyone?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies