Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Omni Hut has a web page now

Pages: 1 15 replies

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2002 1:13 PM

The Omni Hut

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-01-28 13:59 ]

FT

Oh, thanks for posting that! I've never been there, but I soooo want to go. It is the closest Tiki establishment to me.
I live in Louisville, KY...there are 2 places that I have discovered that sound like they are probably tiki-"Joe's Palm Room" and the "Polynesian Palace", but they are in REALLY bad parts of town, which on one hand, they probably haven't been redecorated or anything for many many years-which is good, but at the same time, I'm not willing to risk life and limb to see them.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2002 2:45 PM

In our long list of things we plan to do when we have the time is a web page with our pictures of the Omni Hut.

There is one really big problem with the Omni Hut, no bar. Lots of good decor, but it's BYOB.

I am fairly sure we have the pictures scanned, so you might email me and see them. They aren't the greatest though.

If you are in Nashville, try the Hut one night. I wouldn't drive a great distance to see it, but that's me.

The one place I have been that's worth a good drive is Hala Kahiki in Chicago. Once I have a new computer with a video input, I will put the video up on my site.

R

Just thought I'd add to this discussion of the Omni hut... make sure you call ahead. They don't update their webpage about closings (although they really wish they knew how to do that easily). See my recent "2 trips to omni-hut" story for more on that.

HL

Rorysm,

Tell them to add a Flash-detection script that works with more than just Navigator/IE to their website wishlist. I had to crawl through their code to figure out how to get to the site because it said I didn't have the Flash plug-in (I do).

Oh, and if they want to edit it easy, have them pick up a copy of Macromedia Contribute. It's $99.

S

The site without the Flash intro (which is dull).

Hey Crew,

I have been there several times. My brother lives in Nashville and my son Austin lives up the road about an hour.

I took my son to the Hut and he loved it. The flaming PuPu plater blew his mind. The Hawaiian Tea is great (just add light rum). I have thought about packing up a trunk full of booze and mixing for the whole place. Sounds like a good plan but I end up flying always instead of driving.

Worth it if you are near Nashville.

CYA,

Brad

Wow Swanky,

I had no idea the Omni Hut was that large! I suppose the word Hut has something to do with that.

As far as them having no bar is concerned... Do they sell mixers? And, if so, do they simply sell you a glass with the mix they supply already poured in? Or do you simply bring your own mixers and your own booze in at the same time?

We're not far South of the North Carolina border and them folks up there is CRAZY! There are several "Dry Counties" in Western North Carolina and some allow "Brown Bagging" and some don't. Also, of course, some restaurants in counties that allow it discourage (or outlaw) it themselves. Those that allow it are regulated by different laws from county to county and, of course, by their own prefereces. Some allow only wine. Some allow only beer and wine. Some allow liquor but only allow you to bring the liquor and buy what you're gonna mix it with from them. The list goes on and on. I'm sure there aren't many people outside of the South that can relate to this, but it is true. I swear it!

I need to make a Nashville Run badly. Gonna be 2005 before I can get around to it, though. Dangit!

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-01-28 22:31 ]

S

Aloha Brad and Vic,
Kiliki and I have been wanting to have a little get together at the Omni Hut and with Humuhumu coming to visit, it is an auspicious time. We will post something in the Tiki Events section whne we find out when she is visiting us and we'll have agrand TC time at the Omni Hut!

On 2002-04-03 13:32, friki tiki wrote:
I live in Louisville, KY...there are 2 places that I have discovered that sound like they are probably tiki-"Joe's Palm Room" and the "Polynesian Palace", but they are in REALLY bad parts of town, which on one hand, they probably haven't been redecorated or anything for many many years-which is good, but at the same time, I'm not willing to risk life and limb to see them.

I DID risk life and limb to go see them (after Tiki Road Trip was written), and the full reviews of the place are posted to the Tiki Bar Review Pages (http://www.tydirium.net).

They are scary.

Stay away.

Stay far, far away.

On 2004-01-28 22:25, Traitor Vic wrote:
As far as them having no bar is concerned... Do they sell mixers?

They sell the usual soft drinks: soda, tea, coffee, juice.

No pre-made mai tai or anything like that though.

It is sort of weird whipping a flask or bottle of booze out at a restaurant table and having it be 100% cool with the owners and all other involved parties, but after a bit, you grow to like it: the drinks are made EXACTLY how you like 'em, because you're making them!

Last time I went, I pre-mixed a half-gallon of Planters Punch, we ordered a ton of food and a pitcher of ice cubes, and my companion and I enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

It can't be said enough: Polly is a sweetheart.

My parents live in N. Alabama and when we were there during Christmas Tikisobayli and I drove up to the Omni Hut one night for dinner. We were both really excited and had been looking at the website....I had my digital camera primed and ready for the trip but when we got there it was closed! I called the phone number while sitting in the car staring at the lovely bamboo building and was very sad to hear a "closed for the holidays" message. We did take a few pictures of the outside and plan to go back next time we are up there. It looks really great! The building was huge compared to what I had in mind! We ended up eating at an okay Chinese joint, there didn't seem like much else to do in Smyrna. I'll post the pics soon!

waikiki

S

Since there seem to be no pictures of this mysterious place, I have dug up the few I have and scanned them. I think I have more somewhere.

S

Found them. I am sure I have more somewhere though. I know there is a picture of a tiki carved wooden heeled women's shoe in the display case somewhere...

T

Jeez, I have like 50 pics of this place.
I just looked back over the Omni Hut page of Tiki Bar Review Pages, and there are a half dozen of them up there.

http://www.tydirium.net

(click Tiki Bar Review Pages icon, and then scroll down to Tennessee, and click on Omni Hut).

Iorana!

JT

"Ignorance of the Tiki is evil."

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-02-11 12:54 ]

Here are the pictures from when we found the Omni Hut closed....a truly sad evening!

Tikisobayli, still in high hopes...

Waikiki, sad and disappointed....

Looks like a great place!

waikiki

[ Edited by: waikiki tiki on 2004-02-10 15:43 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies