Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Attention FL: The mermaids need your help

Pages: 1 9 replies

R

Did you guys already discuss today's news item about Weeki Wachee, home of America's only live, performing mermaids?

This was a fantastic attraction... saw it as a wee child. Hope all things go swimmingly for them.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030924/ap_on_re_us/weeki_wachee_3

I bet they'd LOVE some donations of Tiki carvings/goods for display or sale...

More info here: http://www.weekiwachee.com/

Reever
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Reever on 2003-09-24 16:59 ]

[ Edited by: Reever on 2003-09-24 16:59 ]

I was also there as a kid. After that experiance water and especially the ocean was never the same. This is a roadside attraction that definitely needs to be saved. Thanks for the post.

S
SES posted on Wed, Sep 24, 2003 8:17 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:29 ]

I love the Weeki Wachee mermaids- I was following this story earlier this year and it was getting scarey- they came pretty close tolosing that park. The person in charge of it now is the town's mayor, who is in her 30's and just loves the mermaids and the park.

I wanted to make a donation before, but had a hard time finding any contact info for her, but now they have this on their website:

http://www.weekiwachee.com/

Thank you so much for your support
Our regular website is down due to the overwhelming response that has occurred in the past 24 hours.
Please call us with any questions that you have.
352-596-2062

Please spread the word to anyone you wish that we are asking for help from any and all friends to save our mermaids and return our attraction to its former condition.

Tax deductible contributions of as little as one dollar ($1.00) are now being accepted. Please make your contribution payable to the City of Weeki Wachee and mail it to:

Save Our Tails Campaign
Attention: Mayor Robyn Anderson
6131 Commercial Way
Weeki Wachee, FL 34606

Contributions will be used solely for the purpose of renovating the Weeki Wachee Spring Park and Attraction.

We are also asking all of our friends to call or E-Mail state and local officials and tell them that you want to "Save Our Tails."

Click below to E-Mail us your comments and suggestions:
[email protected]

Any fans of the mermaids out there? cough it up! What are the chances our children will be able to see an underwater mermaid show anywhere else or EVER? This is something America needs desperately..

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-09-24 22:07 ]

T

I get the feeling that if the park were completely privately owned it would have closed long ago. I'm glad to hear the city and water district care about saving it. However, it sounds like it's not enough and private donations are still needed.

Me and mrsmiley and our friends missed seeing it when in Florida because of lack of time so I am going to do what I can to keep the mermaids afloat!

M

According to the story on CNN a while back, the Mayor is actually a former mermaid herself!

Though they also said the city has a population of around seven, so don't count on property taxes to save the day!

F

seriously, im sending them money this week. I have never been there, but have always wanted to go. Theni hear they might be closing, so I better hop to it. At least I got to see Cypress Gardens before it went into limbo.

As Jim Carrey said in 'Cable Guy':

"You just don't know what you've got 'til its gone.. promise me you won't go bungee-jumping in Mexico"

We need to go soon as well. Maybe this weekend in fact. I've only been planning to go for something like... ohh... 15 years. Seems way overdue at this point.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-09-26 12:34 ]

T

I grew up in St. Petersburg and we use to go to Weekie Wachie at least once a year, until I moved to Maryland back in 1977. I have not been down there since. Seems when we vacation to Florida we go to Orlando now and so it just didn't seem worth the 2 hour drive. I didn't even bring the thought up to my wife. On one visit back to my wife's parents house in Wisconsin we were looking at old pictures and I saw some of them down at Weekie Wachee, standing behind the cement Mermaid display, just like the old pictures of my parents. WOW! I would have never thought to ask my wife if she had ever been there before.

Well to make a long story a little longer...
I told my wife that Weekie Wachee was in bad financial shape and my close. We already had a trip planned to go to Flordia in January, so we are definately going to take time out to drive up to see the mermaids. We leave the Friday after New Years day to go on our Flordia Road Trip. I can't wait to see the Mermaid show and the look on my son's face.

Does anyone know if they still have the cement display you can stand behind and put your head through the hole so you look like a mermaid/merman King?

On 2003-12-26 07:36, TikiGoon wrote:
Does anyone know if they still have the cement display you can stand behind and put your head through the hole so you look like a mermaid/merman King?

I was there less than a year ago and they had two displays -- one as you describe and another with two mermaids.

The whole park is in really bad shape, though. If it wasn't for the mermaid show, which is fabulous, the park would be utterly depressing.

Pages: 1 9 replies