Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Jungle's Outpost

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies

J

Sand and sand and sand. I can tell you sanded quite a bit. I am having the same issue with my big tiki sanding in all the tight spaces. I have a few spaces under his chin, legs, and arms I can't quite reach and still have some grinder and chainsaw marks that I quite can't reach with power sanders, I think I am going to have to resort to a chisel, but even that is going to be awkward.
JP

Here's the latest on the pelican. It looks good in these images but a closer examination reveals trouble with the marine varnish either not drying well over the knots and some chipping. I didn't want it to be this dark. I really wanted the beauty of the grain to stand out but I covered it with red mahognay stain. sheesh.
yeah, yeah, I took it to the bling bling place and guess who was sitting there on the throne? The Wizard of Wood of course. As I humbly crawled on all fours toward the master, my eyes inadvertently caught a flashing glimpse of his contenance. I know, I know, if he hadn't quickly motioned to one of his servants, and our eyes had met......it would have been doomsday for me. Like you know, pulverized in seconds from the very sun in HIS eyes. No man can see HIM, AND, remain alive, as you know. lucky, lucky, lucky.

wow Jungle Trader...very cool carving and great finish...looks like a moai-pelican....good work
and nice stuff in the background too.

B

Hey Digger, that Officially looks ike a Peliocan,and a nice job too for your first one. Pelicans are not easy to do, but once you get the hang of it (after about 50 or so) thay are easy. You can use a Wood rasp to get under those tight spots. Chisels work well too and a Die-grinder works wonders. Your angle grinder with a 7" disk works too IF you use a Router speed control to slow it down. You want to see some Bad pelicans, come down to Florida along the coast where chainsaw carvers try to do them. You would see right away how nice yours is.

J

Nice Job! I was wondering how you were doing on this, I was going to bump this up to find out. It looks like you have him sanded up to a real smooth finish.
JP

yeah yeah. I call it the Chocolate dipped Moai Pelican.

The latest on the Minnie's Mug scandal, starting next week you'll be able to buy the Minnie's mug directly from, of all places, Minnies!! Nice turn around. I don't know why the change but I'll go with it. Also some trouble with quality control from my mug maker. With many of the mugs, the glaze is running (is there a word for it?). These obviously will not be sold, so it's possible, that there will be less mugs produced than previously thought. Not sure how it will all end, but trying to stay positive. Maybe we can have a tiki mug sacrifice party.

You da man!

da' latest rootball, simple yet brutally primitive

I forgot to say it's 7 ft. tall

Get in touch with your inner native!!
Create Paradise!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-06-13 21:29 ]

H

Great piece JT, I love it. Love the hair too.

K

wow huge nice jt

very cool, jt. i'm on vacation this week and next and would love to come down to meet. let me know. mahalo, bullet

Freakin huge! Nice work JT!

How big around is that sucker? Super nice work.

H

Realy cool work! I love it, how you carve the lines of the Tikis eyes. Very expressive!

Great Style JT Keep up the good work - look forward to seeing some more.

Beavis or Butthead?

Cool!

On 2006-06-14 07:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
Beavis or Butthead?

Cool!

Headbutt!!

Mahalo everyone, you are all so kind.
rodeo, it's about 3 ft. round at the top. Bullet, I sent you a PM
Thanks again.

Awesome, JT!! A tiki with an afro! :) My next one has to have that root hair. I dig em!

• Myke

Aloha JT!!!!!!!!
Nice carving my friend!!!! Where you been we need to see more of your killer carvings,Aloha your friend , Mooney

B

How huge, its Just HUGE is what I can see, Digger, its nice to see more of your art work . I Know you have More hiding around there somewhere,THis one is Really nice though.

M

Nice Rootball ! Very Nice !

Mahalo

awesome work. keep up the good work.

aiight, time to put a little excitement into the carvings.
The first image is a stylized Ku
with the top carved out for possible use as ice bucket.
The second image I call "NW Tiki Kon, The Day After". His eyes are off set and carved around knots in the wood. I'm taking these 2 (and a couple others) to the NW Tiki Kon.
The third is the same rootball pictured earlier but with model to show size.
Keep it cool, keep it cool. She is like a daughter to us.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-06-19 23:42 ]

B

Can't say enough about your work here Digger and the back props are excellent too!

FANTASTIC JT!

Damn I totally forgot to get you the size specifications of my suitcase for a JT special from the Tiki-KON, I wish I could bring home a big bad one! Love the rootball guy.

See ya this weekend!

Uhhh...Man...(cough..) Ahem.. Those tikis are awesome! And I say that respectfully... :wink: That rootball reminds me of the Tropics Hotel guy. Nice work, Vic.

Thanks Aaron, damn, I really like this one too. Thought I would repost it since shutterfly has shuffled most of my links, and all but a few images are gone from my thread.

Thanks Hanford!!

What, no model?!!

CALITIKIFORNIA!

Cool Tiki bottle bucket Vic.

wow.....wow. the tikis are nice too. joking of course. great work there i like that big boy with the toung sticking out. how tall is that one?

GREAT work

TikiDuddy, that Maori Tiki is 12 ft. tall. Far as I know, it's lying on the ground in Modesto right now. Real shame.

B

I Think I am starting to get the picture of Why you aren't getting much carving/work done. It MUST have something to do with your ney photo background items. Ah Sooo...

that is a shame to hear about the tiki that fell down there. hope he gets back on his feet soon.

Hey Benz, nope, that girl is my daughter's age and a friend of hers. If I tried somethin' with her I'd be up shit creek without a poodle. Besides I had to abandon the role of SugarDaddy and become just a dad.
The real reason I'm not carving is cuz landscaping is very busy.

TikiDuddy, that 12 ft. Maori is actually on the ground because that's where the owner wanted it, hopefully only temporary. I should call him, try to buy it back, and find a nice home for it where it could stand tall again.

I'm doing about 30 of these hand painted Minnie's Mugs. Here's the first already sold.

Hope you like it.

Here's the third one for me.

Cool, JT! I like that one. Kinda reminds me of the Frank Gorshin character in the original Star Trek series where he was half black and half white. :)

• Myke

Love the paintjobs JT - that mug would look cool with the white dot type painting...can't hink of the name of it now.

It was great finally meeting you at FI - we gots ta hook up again, bro!

How did I leave without one of your mugs?!?!?! how much are the hand painted ones going for?

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 6:48 PM

sweet. Two Face tiki

My latest rootball at Minnie's. Some of you have already seen it. Come see us sometime in da' jungle.

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua - to fix image link - 2006-11-19 10:36 ]

B

be Rite there. Love your Hairballs and the painted mugz Rock!

W

JT, I see you have a long impressive thread. You are not new to this. Every thing is nice. I wonder if you agree that carving the hair balls is only 1/2 the challenge, finding them, moving them & setting them up is the other half.
Wplugger

On 2006-10-04 18:31, Polynesiac wrote:
Love the paintjobs JT - that mug would look cool with the white dot type painting...can't think of the name of it now.

hmmm, white dot, white dot. Well black dots would be cow.

wplugger, absolutely that's the other half. Finding, moving, setting up is very difficult. Symmetry in carving is another challenge.

There's something I've always admired about Vic's carving style... Concise - that's the word. Simple but tight, not too much, not too little. Clean lines, nice burn... Gotta dig it! :)

J

Hmmm. That black and white mug looks amazingly similar to the one on my mug shelf. Could it be that you gave up the one you were hoping to keep for yourself to make a fellow TCer happy? If so, you rock, JT.

Huge Mahalos,
from the other JT

AA, you are a kind man, you too Benz. My style is just simple. No fuss, no dazzle, just straight up. It's not hugely popular but it's what I am.

Jentiki, you're right. I was gonna keep that one for myself. I really enjoy making something different everytime. There's very little challenge in duplication. You have the only one.

Thanks again.

J

Good to see you posting again. The trees here in Michigan just don't have the same roots as palms, so I always think it neat when I see a root ball tiki.

JP

It's raining and I'm bored. Carvers are taking over THE WORLD HAWHAWHAW. Where's my peyote?

PNG Style Spirit mask, seeking bone for nose, redwood

King Kamehameha, not done yet, palmwood

Maori, looks like crap, not done, palmwood

Brooding, needs stain, redwood

Laughing Moai, palmwood

PNG style mask w/reptile tongue, seeking hair and bone for nose, redwood

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies