Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Jungle's Outpost

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies

"Jungle Trader, Painter of Light"? NOT.
Here's Chongolio's biz card design for me that I painted on 4 x 8 plywood and hung on my front fence. I told Randy I wanted a Jungle man swingin' from a vine in a jungle scene....this is what he came up with. PERFECT! Just what I wanted. That's me swingin' on the vine btw. Shouldn't have any trouble finding my own house anymore after a night out with Cleen and Hat.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-11-03 13:58 ]

Unga Bunga thank you for adding a little 20 second score Hawaiian music on my website.
Turn up your speakers and havealisten all...it's just cute. http://www.TikiJungle.com

Love the sign colors and you look all swank swinging through the jungle. NICE JOB!!! The music does spice up your website. :)

JT Bump,Where you been my friend?,Aloha, Mooney

Your site looks great! Love it. I just wish I lived in one of those places!

I've been here. Thanks Mooney and Surfin.
Been carving some Marqs on crappy old petrified splintery palmwood. Good practice for when I cut into some English Walnut soon.

Here's a couple new pals hangin' out. I'm on a Marquesan kick lately. See the half buried pirate chest? Where can I get cheap costume jewelry? Lots of it.

Below image, look carefully to the left of center and you'll see my pet alligator. The neighbor dogs don't bark much cuz they know the peril that awaits. Chickens are a little scarce too.

T

The backyard is looking great! That's a real labor of love there. Must be pretty atmospheric at night.

Vic, you're a triple threat, man. Carver, landscaper, decorator. (And JT's one of the original "Carving Post" crew.)

You've got the dream backyard Vic, and everything created with your own two hands. Nice stuff!

You need to come to So Cal. My backyard needs help. Very cool!

Really nice Stuff and great carvings! You could vacation in your own back yard.

Thanks again guys, and Tikilizard, I laughed when I saw your name. I've brought home alot of lizards from jobs I've worked on. Now they climb all over my house, and on the roof. They keep the bugs in check. Why do they always do pushups? The yard is a micro ecological system. Works well and I don't maintain it much which makes it good for the planet. Go green.

Aloha JT!!!
Those Marq"s look Sweet my friend, Looking forward to more of your killer Carvings and more posts,Aloha, Your friend Mooney

B

Excellent stuff as usual Digger, but it's been SO Long? What do feed your pet gator? The skeleton lunch leftovers? :lol:

S

Wow is right The tikis the yard, pool NICE!

On 2008-04-09 15:14, Jungle Trader wrote:
Thanks again guys, and Tikilizard, I laughed when I saw your name. I've brought home alot of lizards from jobs I've worked on. Now they climb all over my house, and on the roof. They keep the bugs in check. Why do they always do pushups? The yard is a micro ecological system. Works well and I don't maintain it much which makes it good for the planet. Go green.

Florida is full of lizards basking in the sun and doing pushups to woo the females. The name comes from a lizard that spends his day on top of my first tiki's head. Both the lizard and the tiki keep watch over my frontyard. Whenever a bird tries to catch him he runs into the tiki's mouth. Love the eco system! Stay green.

Hey Benz, Mooney, seek. I feed the gator rabbit tikis and mexican clown wrestlers. Excellent protein.

JT,

Nice to see you spending some time over here!

lol!!!

Nice Gator!

Does he spew water like the Jungle Cruise?

Hippo, gator...whateva!

Hey other Ben, the gator doesn't spew but I do have some tiki fountains in the works. They will be very cool. Thanks.
Hope you are doing well on your build ups.

Another 7 ft. hairball but with flames this time. What do you guys think about leaving or skinning the bark off the nose area. I'm likin' the 3 different tones, and lately the flames.
Badass comin' out the flames! Should look killer lit up at night.

K

Hey JT lookin good. I like the three tones. I think it would look cool with more flames in a few tones. But that's just me, since the time I could drive a hot-wheel around I could never get enough flames.

That is BADASS! Ya gotta post full, night-time, lit up photos.

Fresh and clean!

B

DIGGER! Prime piece of wood and what you did to it really Rawks. Love the wrinkled nose so Don't skin it.
Excellent work Sir!~

Hey Keigs, thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking more flames below but needs contrast to stand out. Then again, there's a possible buyer in Orange who likes it as is so I might leave it.

Surfin, see below for night shot. Thank you!

BK, looks fresh and clean but it's hell getting it there. Thanks!

Benz, mahalo for the advice. I think I'm gonna leave it. Have fun at Hukilau....you and BK both.

I'd love to do a velvet of this shot with a nekked wahine dancing around it. Better yet, a real live nekked wahine. Any takers? PM me.

Here's the marq with available night lighting. Look closely left side of head you'll see a hole.

A little closer

Now look, you can see a rusted 22 caliber bullet in there. Maybe somebody was shooting at birds. Maybe somebody doesn't like woodpeckers. If I dug it out I might find a small bit of feathers behind it....or not.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-06-09 22:48 ]

Leave it in... Gives it character and makes for a good story.

S

Man! looking great. love the hairball flame.
Yes the gun shell cool great conversation piece.

NIce tikis. :drink:

I really dig this piece. I have been wranglin' with my wood source for a log with the rootball on it. I like the flames. Some multiple orange/yellowish stain would be cool if done corectly. Very neat as always. Ruler!

So on Mother's Day (about 6 weeks ago) I go out to check out my pond and I see thousands of tadpoles only about 1/8" long just a swimmin around. Tiny little things. Today I amble out and find tiny toads no bigger than my thumbnail hopping this way and that. Cutest darn things you ever saw. The Tiki Gods have blessed my backyard with healthy habitat. WOOT! Just 2 weeks after I saw the tadpoles I saw a red-eared slider turtle swimmin' around. Three weeks later I saw him again sticking his head up for air. I caught it and it has a beautiful shell (about the width of a golf ball) almost neon green laced with yellow. WOOT again! Good thing the pet gator is only made of fiberglass eh?
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

pix soon

Here's my latest, just a tad short of 5 ft. tall. As some of you know, the most prominent feature on a Moai is the nose. I started out carving away the wood on the forehead, but then I knew the features would not balance out so I switched to carving the nose deep into the cylinder shaped log of still green palmwood. Looks simple but it isn't. A lot of wood has to be removed. I think it took approximately 8 hours to get to this point. Carve on!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-08-03 10:02 ]

Lookin' great! The grain looks perfect for the big Moai. Happy carving.

Very impressive JT!

Perfect log for a moai, nice and wide! And the nose looks perfect.

Nice work!

UB

You can see he's looking over the horizon.
Nice job JT!

MR

Need a shot with you next to it for size reference. Looking good.

Awesome!!!

S

Great Job! that's one handsome fella.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 12:10 AM

Nice looking Moai, Tarzan.

kick ass!

hope this helps.

Thanks Dollar (real NAME!). Thanks also to Lizard, (not real name), Lake, UB, Matt, (as soon as I find a model for this one I'll post her), Spermy, seeksurf, and Grog (brother in the jungle).
Here's more creations from the hands of Jungle.
Yah the Moai is about 5 ft and you'll notice he has a beauty spot on his left cheek and no ears, (Van Gogh Mo). How many people do you know with beauty spots on their left cheek?
The latest waterscape is done and the customer is elated. I was gonna include a tiki with the pond and stream but he wanted a koi instead. I got tronchoteric burrcitis (sp?) from digging this one, (clay and rock soil) but I'm recovering quickly, just a litle hitch in my get-along. Jungle stand tall again tomorrow.

B

WOW Digger, More great work, love the water scape but unhappy to hear about the joint pain(hanging around the wrong joints recently lol ). Your Moai is an Excellent example of how to do him right and had you not mentioned it we would have not even noticed he was deaf with no ears. It is amazing after even doing many Moai how you can begin another one and have their complex simplicity sneak up on you and shake their finger at you for taking them for granted. Those Ancient Moai Love to do that sort of thing, be Proud they visited you instead of letting you blindly blunder through it.
Great to see more of your stuff!
Here's another one

Wanna see More, check out JT's Website and see why I call him Digger!

HERE, Check it OUT

:) :P :D

Thanks Mr. Wizard!! Complicated simplicity, that's a Moai.

Here's another image of the koi pond, and waterfall. The stream starts at the top right in this shot. This will look 10 times better in a few years when the plants and trees have matured and "naturalized". There is a water lily at the bottom of the pond that is dormant right now. This spring it will be flush with new green pads and flowers at the top of the pond. I had 3 large moss rocks lowered in and placed with a crane, you can see 2 of them.
Thanks for looking!

Vic, you do beautiful work... both you wood carvings and your waterscapes.

I am envious of the one talent, for I have tried over the last couple of years to create a realistic pond and waterfall setting.

It is an art to recreate what nature does so "naturally" and you are excellent at it.

WOW! Thanks Lake, you just made my day with the positive vibes.

S

Yes some nice work in the backyard.

Love the big Moai what a great addition to the place.
The other fella is cool he has a Moai Buda thing going
to me because of the smile.

Thanks seek, one of these daze we'll meet.
Here's another Moai, this one has a sort of Clint Eastwood grimace. "Go ahead make my day!"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies