Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Jungle's Outpost

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies

B

You Coming to Hukilau this year Digger? Love to see you there!

B

You Coming to Hukilau this year Digger? Love to see you there!

K

sweet Moais are my fav.
watch out for the skeleton guy he is trying to steal them.
Or am I just seeing things?

Ahh, Benzart I don't think I'll be making Huki this year. When you coming to Forbidden Island? That would be an event.

keigs, you might be a little tipsy, there's no skeleton. When you coming down to F.I.?

I'm watching the PBR right now. Bullriders like Tater Porter, Ryan Dirteater (real name) and Howdy Cloud. I kid you not. These guys are tuff.
ALOHA! And Shit Howdy!!!

those moais are great. they look huge. how big are they? love the waterfall and stream. been contemplating a stream from the front door to the back along the side of the house. just gotta add it to the honeydo list (#639 around here).

bd

On 2009-01-17 23:11, big daddy wrote:
those moais are great. they look huge. how big are they? love the waterfall and stream. been contemplating a stream from the front door to the back along the side of the house. just gotta add it to the honeydo list (#639 around here).

bd

big daddy those Moai's are about 5 ft. tall.

Streams are easy to do. Dig the stream area deeper than you think you should and maybe bring in a little extra soil for the top part of it to ensure a gradual decline to the reservoir or pond. The length of the stream determines the size of the pump. Always use a bigger pump than you think you need, if it's too big you can always install a T and a couple ball valves as a diversion. A filter is a good idea as well, especially if the stream is in full sun. I use 45 mil rubber liner, supposedly lasts 40 years.
Hope this helps.

BD

thanks for the info JT. i have a small pond to capture rain runoff from the house but the stream info will help. have a great weekend (well mine starts today)

bd

S

WOW! Dam nice and a too-fur! You are coming on strong.

Nice size, good strong bold lines nice.

New handpainted Minnie's Restaurant Tiki Mugs.

BD

dude. niiiice. very, very nice.

bd

L

Love those moai. Really great carvings there guy.

Digging the paint job on those mugs as well.

B

YES, Right ON with that paint job. Is there stuff you CAN'T Do? :o

T

Hey, cool mugs. Where is Minnie's Restaurant?

Thank ye, thank ye. Big T, Minnie's is here http://www.minniesmodesto.com

WOW!

Those are just awesome! And somehow the material gives the Moai an even more "alive" feeling, as opposed to more gray media. The one with the open, smiling mouth looks as if he just woke up from a century-long sleep, the good kind.

Aloha!

Marcus

L

Very pop , very cool, the colors are beautiful, shiny work!! Really good working with differente scale...

Thanks Laojia (from France), Aweulekuula, TheBigT, Benzie, Leleliz, Big Daddy, seeksurf, you're all the best.
Can you dig that crazy scene baby?

The mug on the right is my fave. Just like I love chocolate and vanilla ice cream together (not mixed but seperate) I love the contrast on that one.
Cheers! :drink:

S

Right on yes the black $ white one.
the dots on the lip do it!

yeah seeks, my original Minnie's Mug design with a primitive touch. Thanks for lookin'!

B

Yep, I'm diggin' that scene. Crazy wonderful work.

Benjamin.

Some of you already know "Drunk" and "Lust"

Thanks for looking benella!

P

Next time I get out to Oakland, I'm taking some Turlock Time.

I got to see your digs.
Everything looks great.

L

EXCELLENT! you start a series on the seven deadly sins ? otherwise they're very cool, refreshing... I wait the five other!

B

More Excellent tikis Digger, I think it'd about time some of those found their way over to this side of the world. You ALWAYS show up with the Cool stuff!

laojia, I couldn't remember the other ones, but a few, greed, slothfulness. Thanks!
Benzart, if I can do some small stuff,....maybe jus maybe.
Pablus, it's good to hear from you. I was looking at some Shag art and soon as I saw "The Mournful Ukulele", I thought of you.
But here's a new image you might like. You guys are all welcome to drop in whenev.

Lot's of good stuff going on, Vic!

I love the contrast of light and dark on "Drunk" and "Lust!"

Your backyard is a tiki paradise!

I look forward to the day when things green up and start growing here, but it still looks like a couple of months out yet.

I've got to get up in your area one of these days also and check out your digs!

T

On 2009-03-22 14:31, Jungle Trader wrote:
Some of you already know "Drunk" and "Lust"

Yes... I fairly well acquainted with them. :lol:

Backyard looks GREAT!

NIce new carves vic! I like your contrasting light and dark (both in the carvings and the painted mugs - the b+w mug is REALLY well done)

they're both really awesome! I like the skewed lines of symmetry in the expression!

Nice backyard too - you gots a good eye for landscaping!!!!!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-23 09:42 ]

D

JUNGLE'S OUTPOST! Dude . . . Duude . . . DUUDE! Awesome! Obviously, I have not perused this "topic" before in fine enough detail.

Lake, BigT, Polynesiac, Bookem Dano (I jus love sayin' that), mahalo for the good vibrations. You guys are all welcome at The Jungle's Outpost.
I don't think I posted this bad boy. Maybe I did and it was miniaturized by Hanford. It's at Minnie's for 325 clams. Pua shell eyes and cowry around the mouth, razorback reptile tongue. The hair is actually Cali Brown bear, got it from a local taxidermist. This style is in one of the Oceanic Arts books I have, very elaborate.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-04-01 07:18 ]

L

Vic look at you ...using bear fur and getting all creative!

BD

damn!!! that's where my toupee went. good use of the fur and that backyard looks great. doesn't get any better than sipping a refreshing adult beverage and tossing a line in and waiting for the fish to bite.

bd

L
laojia posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 9:05 PM

The proliferation of technical is very interesting, it's really replica of old idols, with a Jungle Trader's touch...Well done!

Liz, thanks. I try new things as much as possible. Bought a slab of clay at Michael's and tried to shape it but gave up. I'll stick to shaping wood.
big daddy, drop a line buddy. I tried to catch one "wallygray" koi this morning, with a net. He got away, I fell on my butt. ARRRR!
laojia, PNG is cool.

This image doesn't have tiki in it, so sorry. It's a front yard renovate of a landscape I did maybe 6 or 7 years ago. For all your info, a landscape should be reassessed by a designer (me) every 2 or 3 years as plants die, change, grow. The owner wanted a dry stream running thru the planter, old overgrown plants removed and new ones installed. WALLAH! The Look.

B

Your garden looks very nice but with a few of your tikis it will be perfect.
By the way, excellent new one.

Benjamin.

hahaha! fell on your butt. at least it was in a haven of a backyard. been busy shooing the cat away from the feeder fish in the plastic planter! looking at your backyard makes me want to move the karmann ghia ( and the veggies ) out of the way and dig a hole and put a pond in. one day....

bd

Aloha benella and big daddy, Happy Easter guys!
I wanted to show these newly painted ones although the one in the center has been shown. I'm keepin' these bad boys. The Bosko Kukohewa mug to the right actually inspired the Minnie's mug design. Aloha to Bosko and Truus, hope they and you guys are having a fine Easter Sunday with family/friends.

B

Digger, I Really love the Red one, I don't blame you for keeping them all!.Cool stuff.
Excellent on the landscape too, nice and Clean and serene!

Thanks Mr. Wizard!
Here's 4 little brothers.

L
laojia posted on Wed, Dec 9, 2009 9:25 PM

Cool moai family... Look like they wait for a bus to eastern island...

J.

Awesome mugs and maoi's man.

A quick question; Do you make molds for the mugs or are they all done individually by hand each time? I've never tried or even thought about making mugs but its pretty damn cool.

I love that grouping of Moai. Like a mystic chorus line. Great work.

Aloha!

Marcus

laojia, yah, takin' the bus back to eastern isle where the babes are.
Irish, because there were over 200 made, there were 5 molds.
Marcus, doh ray me faw soo la tee doh, all together now.
Thanks guys for the compliments.
Aloha!!!

B

Greetings JT, glad to around again, How you been? I see you haven't forgot how to carve yet, those Moai are Really Nice. What else you been up to? Well hang around awhile and show us some more carvings, we KNOW you have more.

Here you go Benz. Almost finished.

K

Holy crap, that's a monster! Super cool JT... where is that thing?

That is nuts JT, beautiful and lively tiki. How much do you think
it would cost to ship him?

Super Awesome

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies