Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Jungle's Outpost

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies

hey guys,......biscuits, hamburgers, oysters on the half shell, tacos and coconuts, they all work for me. Thanks!!

Sometimes the challenges and opportunities that come our way help us realize our potential. Sometimes we miss the opportunities, sometimes we rise up. I feel lucky to have this one.

Jungle T, you madman that one is AWESOME! Definately on my picture hit list when we come out for the crawl.
2000 clams and worth every sand dollar. Lets pray the drunks keep away from this one.

Chongolio

B

I really like the last (and largest) one you did there. Very Nice! How tall is it exactly? do you have any other pictures from different angles? We'd love to see more.

Chongo...lio, yes sometimes I really feel like I've gone mad.

Boutiki, it's around 12 ft. tall, I'll take some pics around the sides and back. The very back side I left the bark on and it gives it a reptilian look. I might add some tattoos under the eyes, on the cheeks, which you can't see because they're on the sides.

Here's some pics of it being hoisted with a crane and before I burnt it.

The design was taken from BOT, guess which page and I'll buy you a drink sometime. I don't think Sven will mind, I'll buy him a drink too. Actually it's not for sale, the owner said I would have to replace it, and as you can imagine, this is not an easy thing to do.

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-09-11 15:28 ]

B

It's like the Tiki with the white overpaint in the midle left of page 112 from "The Tikis" in Monterey Park. Also sorta similar to the fallen example on page 113 and page 13 with Sven and Otto (but it has a different nose). Good job! You realy did it justice. It's also nice to see big Tikis being permanently erected rather than coming down.

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2004-09-11 18:10 ]

jt, are you gonna be down at hukilau??...if so, will you be sellin any of your work....its all quite amazing stuff!!....mahalo for da pics!!!

Boutiki you're right, pg. 112 middle on left side, it's a beauty. I love that one, and the one below it. I wonder where they are today? Thanks again.

Hala Bullhiki, thank you,...I will be coming to Hukilau but everything that I carve is too big to put on a plane. I do have plans for mugs, next year.

B

These last ones are Awesome JT. Just now catching up on what has been happening while I have been gone. Looking Good.

MD

Oh, just a measly 12 ft huh?
You guys kill me, 12ft of perfection and I struggle with a max of five. You Veterans carvers keep upping the bar and us newbees just stand in awe!
Beautiful work Mr. J.T. It really is.

Mahalo Mr. Dale!

Duke, here's the right and left side images you asked for

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-09-19 10:55 ]

Hey JT - just caught up with your latest stuff and i'm quite impressed, I need to get some cash so I can pick one up before you achieve legend status.

limp out

Aloha Limp, mahalo, you comin' to our crawl?

My latest 5 foot Ku mask

Mahalo for lookin'

Great work as always, JT. Put that guy in the yard with a candle or lantern behind - instant tiki mood lighting. Nice!

A-A

B

JT, Lookin Mighty Fine for such a small carving. Howzit feel carving small after all the BIG tikis you have been carving?

Don't be surprized if a family of birds makes it their new home. Looks good.

Beautiful! I love the Ku mask. I really like that 12 footer too!

S

JT !!
Wow. You're Tikis are looking awesome dude!
I'm just getting back around to TC after our extended moving fiasco. Happy to see you're cranking out the goods. I would still love to collaborate on one of those backyard projects we discussed earlier. I'm just getting my shop set up and getting back to work. Thanks for the inspiration!
seamus

Mahalo AA, Raffer, Slacks, Seamus...
Benzie, man I love doin' the BIG ones. Like you say, "The big ones are easier." Quick cuts. But your back takes a thrashing.

On 2004-11-16 19:36, Jungle Trader wrote:
My latest 5 foot Ku mask

Hey JT, That would make one nice Volleyball holder!

Chongolio

Jus a little stuff goin' on. Da' big one in da' middle is for Mr. Pop. Man dis is fun. Toady I wuz trippin'. Playin' Country Western music while carving. Sacrilege I say!!! Jus a sample of stuff to come at Tiki Oasis FIVE baby. These aren't done yet, so drink up braddahs and sistas.

Okay, JT. Since we're in confession mode here, I've listened to Alan Jackson a few times while carving... and even, dare I say... Jimmy Buffet. But only once or twice... and I didn't really even listen to the lyrics ...really.

Nice tikis, man! I'm looking forward to seeing 'em in person at Oasis.

Aloha,

Aaron

nice work JT. real clean

i like the luau 400 style tiki jt! are you going to paint or burn the cuts?

O

(((dare I say... Jimmy Buffet))

Please dare say, I listen to Jimmy Buffet when I sail…until I tacked and the boom box went over board, now I listen to … well whatever TikiTita wants to listen too.

JT!
I might have another (financial) opening for another one of your Tikis come this Oasis.
I'll give you a heads up!
Great Tikis as always.

Yeah, I'm burning the cuts, just needs to dry first.
I keep hearing that Mr. Mom song. You know "Bubble gum in the baby's hair, sweet potatoes in my easy chair, rewind Barney for the 15 time". Fortunately those daze are over for me, now I'm coping with the teen years.
There's actually a lot of good CW music out there.

Boobam Ben, I have yet to do a pirate.

Mahalo guys. Can't wait for Oasis.

B

Hey Jungle Digger, those are really lookin nice. You aredefinately coming Clean with the detail. These are the most Crisp, clean pieces I have seen from you. Keep going like that and you'll be a Master carver before you know it.
HappyHappyHappy

HOLY CRAP JT those are some downright kick ass carvings. You are the man. Period.
I never listen to tiki music when I carve, mostly Abba or the Village people. But then again, I also carve in a thong.

JT, no pirate yet? Let's carve up a whole crew of 'em and take over OASIS!

To borrow from Bamboo Ben, "ARRRRRRRR MATEY!"
Got any pirate designs Polynesiac?

Here's the finished Maori for Poly Pop. Hope you like it braddah.

Still needs some very minor fine tuning.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-02-28 18:49 ]

K

Your stuff rules, JT! Mighty fine I say. Mighty fine.

B

Excellent tiki Jungle Digger, they keep getting better and better, I like that. I'm sure PolyPop will Love this, Who in their right mind wouldn't??
The only problem with your carvings is that there aren't enough of them, so kick it up another knotch

C

Great work JT...I'm glad this post got
bumped up...your BIG tikis are fabulous...a
great inspiration!

Thanks guys.
There's more but I won't show them here, you'll need to come to Tiki Oasis in Palm Springs to see them.
Benzie, howz your carvings coming along after your surgery? Send me an e-mail.

Nice work, killer design. Guess I'll just have to see the rest at Oasis, then. Congrats to PolyPop on the new acquisition.

This is the carving of the design for my very first Tiki mug. It's the second carving in that style. The first was sold to a couple in Sacramento. Peter, the owner of Minnie's, liked it so much he wanted to buy it, but we couldn't agree on a price. The mug will be available at TO5.

BigBro, would you call this California cartoon style? Who "coined" that term, Bosko?

Hey Jungle Trader-

Can I reserve a mug even though I won't be at TO5? I gotta have me a "Minnies" mug!

Looking Good! Let's see more!

California Cartoon Style? Never heard it, but I like it. In the BOT I talk about the three modern Tiki carving influences other than the original Island styles: Cartoon, modern art, and surrealism. Milan Guanko cited "Kiddie cartoons" as his influence. So it is quite alright to use it, and it seems fitting for the above carving.

I think it is a good general term for those who need to know "What style is this?", when it really isn't any.

But what makes it different from "Florida Cartoon Style"? :)

Bro, well Bosko must have coined the term. He has many that are described as that style on his website.

What makes it different from Fla. cartoon style is..... no BIG teeth....BIG lips instead. Exaggerated features, which you find on many tikis anyway but maybe Cali. cartoon style is kinder and gentler? Just my observations maybe.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-03-27 15:48 ]

T

JT, so you say fl. is big lips vs Cali? I don't think I will know about this stuff for some time cause I got to first know the different in the two orange juices. I would say that yours has big lips cause it covers the lower face pretty good. I call those lips "The Homer" and I will coin that if no one has.

The tiki mug looks good. I personally like the differrent cuts in my tiki like those. It will be interesting to see the mug next to the pic of your wood. Craving that is.

Generally speaking, Fla. cartoon style has the BIG teeth, while Cali. has less teeth and BIG lips. That's just my observations. I have been prone to hallucinations though. Walk into my backyard and you'll be thinking you're hallucinating. :D

Here it is, the first run of the Pika Kewalaka Tiki Mug. It's 8 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" dia. and holds a Kahuna size 30 ounces. No need to stand in line a second time for your favorite drink (Monkey Mai Tai or Reverb Crash...yummy) Fill it up once and you're done. Or, do like hiltiki did, use it as a vase and put flowers in it. Costs 30 clams (includes Ca. sales tax) and it will be available at TO5. Catching the last rays of sunset by his favorite waterfall.

B

Hey JT, Nice mug. I love that mottled look you have given it.

T

JT- One calm for one ounce. I drink big style so the bigger the better. Nice mug. Do you have a close up shot of the eye nose lip area?

S

Hooraayy!! Nice work JT, and congrats on your first mug. The glaze looks cool. Let's see some more pics.

hey sign us up for one vic!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 492 replies