Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Shag merchandising bonanza continues

Pages: 1 31 replies

Just caught this article in the (online) Washington Post. Sounds like more stuff is in the works from Shag...beach towels, bedding...what's next?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62163-2003Oct8.html

T

I read this piece yesterday. I actually think it's a really good article. It seems to me that SHAG is becoming much more mainstream (I know. We've talked about this before) which could either be good or bad. It looks like Shag will also be coming out with a tie and watch just in time for the holidays. Have a SHAG Christmas! :wink:

Wow! Cool! I can't wait!

(as soon as Shag comes out with maxipads, I'm outta here...)

S
SES posted on Fri, Oct 10, 2003 6:08 PM

On 2003-10-10 17:44, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Wow! Cool! I can't wait!
(as soon as Shag comes out with maxipads, I'm outta here...)

LOL! Shag rags!
:D

The thing i love about SHAG licencing his work to more stuff, is when you find it reduced.
Recently i found these coffe cup and coster sets with SHAG's art on them, they were reduced to £1.50, when was the last time you heard of a SHAG mug selling for only three bucks.

"£1.50"

That means three bucks?!

K

He rejected a deal to do adult toys? That would have been genius. Too bad.

http://universist.meetup.com - for freethought meetups in your town.

S

Bummer.

Now he's being compared to Martha Stewart!

Great guy and I like his stuff, but I guess success ultimately has its downfall.

Hey, new drink -- "Shag's Downfall!"

What would be in a drink like that?

Aloha,

Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-10-11 18:48 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 11, 2003 7:12 PM

On 2003-10-11 18:22, kahukini wrote:
He rejected a deal to do adult toys? That would have been genius. Too bad.

http://universist.meetup.com - for freethought meetups in your town.

Maybe it's because of the Disney connection?

I thought it was funny that The Washington Post article mentions Courney Cox as a collector. That is a bit of an overstatement apparently, judging by the Barbara Walters interview with Courtney and her husband, David Arquette, on 20/20 Friday night. They showed one Shag painting that they had, and it was Arquette that had bought it. Cox seemed less than thrilled with it. The tone of that part of the interview was the contrasts in Arquette's and Cox's personal styles. I had just read the article before turning on the TV and finding the interview starting. I couldn't believe my eyes when the painting popped up. Nice exposure for Shag except I don't think that they mentioned his name.

Randy

On 2003-10-11 14:29, Luckydesigns wrote:
"£1.50"

That means three bucks?!

The currant rate of exchange is $1.6654 to the UK pound, so £1.50 X $ 1.6654 = $2.49, so yeah roughly three bucks especially if you live in california and add sales tax.

T

Gosh, I missed that viewing. Anyone remember which original Courtney Cox owns?

What an art whore!

Flounder

MB

Flounder, can your explain your definition of "whore?" Just curious.

T

What did Art Where?

P

On 2003-10-12 13:24, Randy Exotica wrote:
I thought it was funny that The Washington Post article mentions Courney Cox as a collector. That is a bit of an overstatement apparently, judging by the Barbara Walters interview with Courtney and her husband, David Arquette, on 20/20 Friday night. They showed one Shag painting that they had, and it was Arquette that had bought it. Cox seemed less than thrilled with it. The tone of that part of the interview was the contrasts in Arquette's and Cox's personal styles. I had just read the article before turning on the TV and finding the interview starting. I couldn't believe my eyes when the painting popped up. Nice exposure for Shag except I don't think that they mentioned his name.

Randy

Randy:
Was the Barbara Walters interview done at their home? I recall hearing a couple of years ago that they bought a John Lautner designed house in Malibu. John Lautner was the apex of spaceage design, right before we all lost our optimisim for the future. Every genius supervillian or hollywod producer (but I repeat myself) should have a lair designed by J.L.!

On 2003-10-13 08:07, Philot wrote:
Was the Barbara Walters interview done at their home?

Yeah, it was, but to be honest I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the interview. I don't have a lot of interest in either one of them and I just had the TV on as background noise. I don't think they were doing a general tour of the house, though, and as far as I recall didn't make any special mention of it. The tone of that part of the interview was more along the line of picking out the pieces that David Arquette had brought into the house and how they clashed with Courtney's tastes so they could highlight what an oddball pairing they are. But the Shag painting really caught my eye and that's when I perked up and took notice for a few minutes. Courtney was sort of like, "Well, I never would have bought it, but I guess I can live with it."

Randy

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-04 02:13 ]

S
SES posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 7:05 PM

Believe it or not, some people have still never heard of the guy or even tiki! So it's all new to them.
Trends...
The people tuned in and way ahead of them are usually SICK to DEATH of the NEXT BIG THING as it's just hitting and getting recognition in the masses.
It also goes in waves into different areas... what is snore city to the
East coast might be hot on the West coast or vice versa and after that the Midwest wakes up and thinks it's great.
:wink:

It is my understanding that it is no longer cool to say SHAG isn't cool any longer. . Saying that people who say SHAG is uncool are not cool is very cool, try it, go ahead. "Fading Fad"...we're collecting mugs here and your poking fun of SHAG collectors? Lol.

...I always pictured Courtney Cox being kind of hyper Abercrombie and Fitch-gone St. Elmo's Fire...is that wrong?

...But she was in a Bruce Springsteen video..Dancing In The Dark, no?

J

On 2003-10-14 21:17, Basement Kahuna wrote:
...I always pictured Courtney Cox being kind of hyper Abercrombie and Fitch-gone St. Elmo's Fire...is that wrong?

Yes...with a bit of pole dancing stripper thrown in...did anyone else notice the thigh high boots she was wearing?

On 2003-10-12 17:18, tikichic wrote:

It was "The Tinkerer", I had to go through the whole Shag site to find it after the interview.
http://www.shag.com/Peoplecity/tinkerer.html

They never said his name, the title of the painting or whether it was a print or original in the interview unfortunately.

P

On 2003-10-14 21:27, johntiki wrote:

did anyone else notice the thigh high boots she was wearing?

Damn, now I'm really disappointed to have missed this! /totally irrelevant

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-04 02:14 ]

H

Sneakytiki, McDougall was making a joke.

I was kidding (as Humuhumu pointed out) but was a bit snippy, sorry. Can't see how SHAG is more a fad than Tiki, but as you say it's not important, I'm sure we will all still be displaying our stuff when it's no longer in demand because we love it.

On 2003-10-16 10:20, McDougall wrote:
I'm sure we will all still be displaying our stuff when it's no longer in demand because we love it.

This is exactly how I feel. I haven't been collecting Shag's stuff as long as many here have, I'm sure. When I discovered his work late last year while looking for artwork to decorate my new digs, I came across his stuff and went wild for it. It was just the thing for my mid-century furnishings. I had no inkling of his collectability, and don't care how collectable he remains. I love the art and think it's cool, sorry, I think it's deck (don't want anyone to think I'm not a hipster). I'll still love it if Shag fades into tiki obscurity.

I'll tell a story quickly if I'm able to. This summer I got 4 Shag prints framed at framing shop that is part of A Great Indoors chain store here in Chicago. While I was there picking out the frames and mats, the prints were drawing a lot of attention. One woman asked the manager to sell one to her and went off in a huff when he told her he couldn't. I was unable to pick them up for a few weeks and when I called the manager to let him know. He told me he had the prints on display in the showroom because he had nowhere to store them. He said they had drawn so much attention to his store, he couldn't believe it. He had a lot of people wanting to buy them. Some people were leaving and coming back later with other people in tow to show the prints to them. The manager wanted to know how he could get hold of some to sell in the store. I gave him the only info I could think of: the contact info for Shagmart. He said later that he contacted Shagmart to try work out a deal to sell Shag's prints. He told them he could get them in Great Indoors stores all over the country. They turned him down cold, no interest whatsoever. I'm not saying that I have any great point here, but if Shag and his people are as involved in runaway merchandising as some think, they missed a great opportunity there. As far as I know, the Chicago area is virtually ignorant of who Shag is and I'm sure much of middle America is. There wouldn't be any better way to change that than get his artwork in a big chain of huge, fairly upscale stores across the country.

Sorry, if my story didn't turn out to be told as quickly as I intended. I do run on sometimes.

Randy

C

I like that story. I was that taken too.

Deck, though?

As in cool deck???

S

On 2003-10-15 07:18, Daddy Coconut wrote:

On 2003-10-12 17:18, tikichic wrote:

It was "The Tinkerer", I had to go through the whole Shag site to find it after the interview.
http://www.shag.com/Peoplecity/tinkerer.html

They never said his name, the title of the painting or whether it was a print or original in the interview unfortunately.

US Magazine

David's Sexy Something For Courteney
So what does David Arquette, 31, give Courteney Cox, 39, the woman who has everything? He recently presented his wife of four years with a painting by an artist named Shag. "He's got a real unique style," Arquette told 'Us' at a party for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team. "The painting is of this really cute girl in a negilgee shot from behind, and she's got this wrench in her hand. She's got black hair and blue eyes, and it just reminded me of Courteney." So how did the missus like her gift? "She loved it," said Arquette. "Right now it's in the entryway of our house."

Ahh, so it was indeed a real one.

Pages: 1 31 replies