Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

So, what are you going as for Halloween?? Just curious....

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-01-09 12:36 ]

I've been putting all of my effort into our party and have been slacking on the costume end. So far all I can come up with is the Eyes Wide Shut party scene outfit (tux, cape & mask) But the more I think about it, I need something I can mix drinks in easily, stay cool in a house with 50+ warm bodies, and yet still look good...
any suggestions for the host?

-Z

by day I'm gonna be minnie mouse, and I think at night I'm gonna be a
redneck vampire. Got my cape and my bubba teeth. decided against a mullet wig though, found myself a reaaaaaaaaaaaal nice mesh trucker hat...

Do I really need a costume looking like I do?

On 2003-10-14 12:05, sweetpea wrote:
found myself a reaaaaaaaaaaaal nice mesh trucker hat...

Those hats are all the rage with the youngin's here in Cali. The only good thing about them, is it forced all the kids to wear their hats the right way...

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-14 17:17 ]

A really easy costume to go as would be Charlie Brown's Ghost Costume from "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" ... You just need a sheet, and then a bunch of black felt circles to sew all over it, like this:

~Hanford

On 2003-10-14 17:23, hanford_lemoore wrote:
A really easy costume to go as would be Charlie Brown's Ghost Costume from "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" ... You just need a sheet, and then a bunch of black felt circles to sew all over it,

~Hanford

then when you take off the costume, you should have a Charlie Brown mask, and shirt on.

-I got a rock.

or go as "Sexy Bea Arthur"

S

Tiki bong,
I figure when I'm done with it, it's gonna go up on evilbay and I should be able to make BANK for it. maybe enough for a trip to tikiland... hahahaa
well, probably not, but it's a nice yellow cap, and on the bill it has a pile of rubber dog doo. on the front it says
"shithead" (whoops, can I say sh*t here? ) heeheeheeheeheeheehee

T

I just saw a show where they showed a woman obsessed with Carmen Miranda... it just occured to me that Carmen would make a great Halloween COstume!

Stock up on plastic fruit!

or go as "Sexy Bea Arthur"

Wouldn't that actually be going as an oxymoron?

S

Kiliki and I are planning on being Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. The party we are going to requires cotume oriented karaoke, so we will do a little singing and begging for donationa between everyone else's singing. We also have a gay friend who may be Jessica Hahn and we'll wander off to the bedroom from time to time...

C

On 2003-10-14 18:25, tikifish wrote:
...it just occured to me that Carmen would make a great Halloween COstume!

Stock up on plastic fruit!

Friend of mine a few Halloween parties ago:

I'm going in a diaper and I'll be looking for swollen mammary glands.

Maybe a garden gnome, or one of the Gumbies from Monty Python.
Or my own evil alter-ego from another universe. All I need is an evil moustache and some sort of sash to wear over my normal clothes and maybe a pain inducer or metal claw or something...

Hm...

I'm going as an anal-retentive neurotic.

(this will be easy...)

Just picked up a cool 80's satin dress (with peplum - he he I love that word) at the buck-a-pound... now I am torn - Carmen Miranda, or 80's Prom Queen?

I'll have to get invited to 2 parties and do both!

T

Here I am as medusa 2 years ago...

Well, my buddy is throwing a party where you need to dress as a TV character. So I picked up some top siders, a fake moustache, and a "paradise found" pattern hawaiian shirt - Thomas Magnum PI - here I come.

Easy, within theme, and comfortable!

J
JTD posted on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 1:14 PM

On 2003-10-16 13:12, Tiki Flange wrote:
Well, my buddy is throwing a party where you need to dress as a TV character. So I picked up some top siders, a fake moustache, and a "paradise found" pattern hawaiian shirt - Thomas Magnum PI - here I come.

Easy, within theme, and comfortable!

The Ferarri might be kinda pricey, though.

H

I posted this last year, but for those of you who haven't already seen it:

I went as a palm tree last year.

This year, I've gotta keep it simple, since everything will be packed for the move; I'm just gluing a couple of horns on my head. It'll be my suckiest attempt at a costume ever, but I'll be comfortable, and it'll fit in the Miata on the way to LA.

M

On 2003-10-16 12:55, tikifish wrote:
Just picked up a cool 80's satin dress (with peplum - he he I love that word) at the buck-a-pound... now I am torn - Carmen Miranda, or 80's Prom Queen?

I'll have to get invited to 2 parties and do both!

Prom Queen! With huge hair wig and top knot! Ha! And then post pictures! And then I'll post them to alt.fetish.promqueen and then...oh, god I've said too much again.

stupid! stupid! why am I so stupid?!

It just occured to me how much this face looks like a tiki, therefore I may go as this for Halloween.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-16 22:19 ]

Two of my favorite low budget costumes from my younger days in the mid to late 90's...

Calvin and Hobbs, my favorite cartoon... yea, that was my real hair...

And hula boy... it was cold that October and I can't believe I went to a dance club with my shirt off...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-10-16 22:48 ]

On 2003-10-16 13:20, Humuhumu wrote:
I posted this last year, but for those of you who haven't already seen it:

I went as a palm tree last year.

Nice coconuts.

T

Humuhumu, if you need an easy costume, why not go as Magnum PI?

hee hee

Actually, isnt the 'bunch of grapes' the world's easiest costume? Just buy a bag of purple balloons, blow them up, and affix them to your clothes.

You can go as a spermazoa, wear all white with a string hanging out the back... or wear a red cap & you're a tampon.

or wear a red cap & you're a tampon.

Oh, ick....
And you could add a pair of big ears and be Prince Charles.

Humuhumu - why would you want to come to LA for? I am trying to get out

Unga Bunga - Since you live in Carmel do you know Erhard Lux the Tahitian Artist? You can go as him. Kinda an inside joke thou.

H

Tikifish, I think you're right, that would be pretty damned funny. Tiki Flange, you're not in Seattle, right? Is it ok for me to steal your idea?

Andy, the LA thing's been hashed, re-hashed, and re-re-hashed here. Feel free to hash further over there, if you wish. Short version: sun, tiki, and now, some very cool research opportunities at Caltech.

S
SES posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2003 6:23 PM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-28 00:23 ]

E

I am something of a Halloween freak. Love this holiday and have been some strange things...

Did you see this yet? I think it looks like a Tiki! It's called a "Bearded Beauty". I saw it first at Target, then again at Top Foods where I finally broke down and bought it for my Tiki Room. Sorry if someone has already pointed it out in another thread...I haven't read everything.

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2003-10-19 18:06 ]

Ah-hah, yes, I saw that mask at Target recently, and was about to post a message on it, and there it was. It looked really cool. Reasonably priced too!

Saw a similar, but even more cartoonish, one with light-up eyes at Big Lots while decoration shopping. Same (odd) mane of yellow hair tho'.

On 2003-10-19 17:59, Exoticat wrote:

Did you see this yet? I think it looks like a Tiki! It's called a "Bearded Beauty". I

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2003-10-19 18:06 ]

Hey, It's Turbogod!!

I went un-original and bought the Tiki Drink costume online:

I got the man's version without the darts and a thicker straw....also a fly in front.:D

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-06 18:59 ]

Scored a black turtleneck sweater, and a black beret to go with my pre-existing goatee, tiki medallion, sunglasses, sandals, cut off pants, bongos, and hipness.

Like, yeah man. Way out.

since it is the year of the pirate, im goin dressed as the anti-nowhere league, i mean the whole league. the ms. is planning on dressing up as noam chomsky.

On 2003-10-25 00:49, tikitanked wrote:
since it is the year of the pirate, im goin dressed as the anti-nowhere league, i mean the whole league. the ms. is planning on dressing up as noam chomsky.

OOOH! I thought no-one else remembered the ANL. Where do you buy your studded codpieces?

S

This year it is Richard Simmons, the "sweatin to the oldies" guru.
Picked up a pair of dolphin shorts, tank top, and leg warmers to go with the fro wig.
Thank god it is warm hear in So Cal.

sirginn, sounds like you got the costume down the clothes the wig, but did you get an extra wig to staple to your chest, back, arms, elbows, and ankles. i think he is supposed to be pretty hairy, though he does shave i assume, but maybe for halloween he lets it flow a little more. just an idea, and where are you going to rent the aged sweathogs to follow you around?
p.s. though i dont generally refer people to burman industries(in north hollywood) they have(or at least the last time i was there)a pretty well sculpted Ku god halloween mask. it was on display in their old storefront, but i think they were being produced for purchase, you can try contacting them to find out. it was not a cheap floppy like the aforementioned target find, but a well made, and probably expensive, large mask. Burman Industries number is (818) 792 9833, but they also have a website.

The one eyed one horned flyin' purple people eater shor sounds good to me! Purple People?

This was my costume last year. I was trying to bring awareness to the closing of Johnie's Broiler in CA. I also had to include a pic of friends James and Lisa in one the best costumes I've seen yet - boxing nuns!

shipwrecks halloween costume

T

Since I only have found 2 small sets of grapes for the total of my Carmen Miranda outfit, I have given up that dream.

The 80's thing is in full swing, and now has morphed into a pairs thing with my partner at work - Romy and Michelle at the prom! No one will know we're supposed to be ROmy and Michelle though, so we figure we'll attach post-it notes to ourselves with our names on.

I'm thinking about going as a poker playing toothless one eyed pirate who keeps picking his teeth with a bowie knife to distract others while my parrot looks over their shoulders and tells me what hands they have by using an elaborate code involving vomiting, chirping, and sea chanteys. Well thats what I'm thinking anyways.

T

This being the first Halloween in our new house I was inspired to "spook up" the entry area for the trick-or-treaters, of which I'm told are numerous in our neighborhood. Seems that pirates were all the rage this year, plus it's really easy to throw together pirate ensembles on the cheap, so I'm building the "Haunted Pirate Cave".

It'll have a bitchin' treasure chest over-flowing with pirate booty, a dead pirate skeleton with a sword impaling him (a la PotC ride), and an appropriately dressed "living" pirate to greet/scare the kiddies. Plus the requisite sound effects, fog machine, and various other spooky goodies.

I'm at the point where it looks really cool with the hanging (fake) flame pots inside the rocky walls at night. I haven't built anything this elaborate for Halloween in many, many years, and I'm having a great time of it. It's no Monkeyman display, but it's a fun week-long project.

BTW, any TC-ers who don't have plans and want to take a turn or two as a pirate-greeter, or just drink some rum punch, you are welcome to come over and spend the evening. We are having some fun/simple games in the driveway for the kiddies and the adults will be having an "unofficial" party in the house. We are having a few friends over (all pirates) and are reverse-engineering Martiki's fabled rum punch for our grog. I say "unofficial" because we didn't plan this as an adult party - more for the neighborhood kids, but no reason we can't all have some fun.

"Cave" under construction:

We'll try to get some good nighttime pics of the finished set to post next week. Hope you all have a fun and safe weekend.

PS: I know for a fact that Hanford will NOT be dressing up as an Otter Pop.

Tiki-bot

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-10-28 13:04 ]

Pages: 1 2 51 replies