Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Louvre does Tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

J
jtiki posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 1:06 PM

Just a little tiki in France

just got back from the city of lights and found these unexpected Tikis in a little used corner of the Louvre. They are appreantly part of an "early civilisation collection from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas," from the musée du Quai Branly, on loan for a few years.

[ Edited by: jtiki on 2003-10-15 13:08 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 5:22 PM

Hey thats my CARVING!!! the comb tooth Pele on the left!! HO SHNAPZ! They put it in GLASS!!!!!

just kiddin! thanks for sharin dude!

Most appropriate as Tahiti is referenced as Frech Polynesia (as always - patronizing to the indigenous polynesians), the Marquesas islanders sell tikis currently and tiki statutes remain in Tahiti.

Tres Bon!

I had the good fortune to see that exhibit too! Man, the louvre's awesome. I meant to post about my visit but got sidetracked. Anyway, here are some pics from that exhibit that I took:

1. Here are 2 ancient relics (the one in the foreground is my mom - & if you knew her this pic would be 10 times funnier than it already is!)

1. These pics are from a book I got (for only 5 Euro) in the Louvre's bookstore. Too bad I can't read French.

1. This skull reliquary was found in Geelvink Bay in northwest New Guinea in 1824. It gives me the HeeBeeGeeBees!

Merci,
Tiki Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-10-16 07:59 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-10-16 08:00 ]

M

I saw the Branly exhibit at the Louvre as well. Incroyable!

The Branly's entire Oceanic collection is available for browsing at their website...all 1902 pages of it!

Pages: 1 5 replies