Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What's Changed On Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies

On 2006-01-21 15:57, purple jade wrote:
Not to be a smartass, but is wwjd? considered a multiple profile?
Seriously.

Yes, and the Martin (who created it) can attest to the fact that he got a major warning from me (as did Inky the first time) when he resurrected it the other day.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-01-21 16:02 ]

H

On 2006-01-21 14:39, hanford_lemoore wrote:

On 2006-01-21 14:20, Riptide wrote:
What's Changed On Tiki Central? Having fun will no longer be allowed or tolerated.

What's changed On Tiki Central? Having fun used to be about talking about Tiki, now it's apparently about fake profiles?! Brilliant one, Riptide :roll: .

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-01-21 15:26 ]

I think Riptide meant to say "Humor will no longer be allowed or tolerated."

Am I close?

M

Humor will no longer be allowed or tolerated

That's a good sign as I, for one, am tired of certain members* who repeatedly post nothing but stupid, inane, and rather obtuse attempts at a joke. Sure, I like a good laugh as much as the next guy, as long as its clean and inoffensive, and family-oriented. Take that Sinbad fellow, now there's a funny guy. We should all aspire to be like Sinbad, just a little each day. That would go a long way to improve the situation here at Tiki Central. And, if you're not into that whole "urban" thing...think of Carrot Top. I'd say Gallagher, but he's so messy, and think of all that food he ruins. That's just wasteful, and not very considerate for those in your audience who may be more sensitive about the issue of hunger here in America and abroad.

Speaking of a broad, when are we gonna have more bewbies on Tiki Central? Fewer mulitple profiles, more bewbies! Woo hoo...

*midnite "certain member #1" tiki

ps Of course the above is just satire. I'm more of an "ass man", myself. For instance, that Yakov Smirnoff guy, now there's a real ass, man.

My password. Seriously, I haven't posted or read anything here for eons. Now that I have, am I about to post something I'll regret?... Well, uh,...** I'm not gonna be a Tikiphile anymore. I'm gonna be a Rasta-Billy like me old man! ** Wait I take that back...

I haven't been here since the Yahoo Groups. But I was here for that whole east-side/west-side thing... wait, did that "thing" really happen? Do I even know what I'm talking about? All I know is this: Tiki is on its way to becoming a Moai-faced cowboy with dreadlocks, riding a giant flamingo into a sunset of tap-dancing eskimos with giant breast implants.

Beware not to read too deeply into any of this. To do so would be to take it out of context... and that's just what they want!!! Shhhh!... They're coming!!!

M

It's true- I forgot about the new policy and posted as wwjd again. Hanford did read me the riot act, so wwjd is dead.

you should still buy hella rad jab merchandise, however.

Hey! While we're on the subject of "multiple profiles", what's up with Iuka Grogg and weirduncletiki? They are one and the same, right?

This misleading flagrant violation of the rules has got to stop!

The last posting from Iuka Grogg was last October, before Hanford announced the new policy on multiple i.d.'s.

H

I think Iuka is just waiting for an opportunity to post and I don't think Hanford's policy should really even apply in this case. Let's wait and see.

If you'll allow me a moment of geekery, I'm reminded of a scene from the first episode of Red Dwarf:

Holly: Good morning, Dave. It is now safe for you to emerge from stasis.
Lister: Haven't I just gone in?
Holly: Please proceed to the Drive Room for debriefing.
Lister: Where is everybody, Hol?
Holly: They're dead, Dave.
Lister: Who is?
Holly: Everybody, Dave.
Lister: What, Captain Hollister?
Holly: Everybody's dead, Dave.
Lister: What, Todhunter?
Holly: Everybody's dead, Dave.
Lister: What, Selby?
Holly: They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.
Lister: Petersen isn't, is he?
Holly: Everybody is dead, Dave.
Lister: Not Chen?
Holly: Gordon Bennett! Yes! Chen, everybody. Everybody's dead, Dave.
Lister: Rimmer?
Holly: He's dead, Dave. Everybody's dead. Everybody is dead, Dave!
Lister: Wait. Are you trying to tell me everybody's dead?
Holly: I wish I'd never let him out in the first place.

Lister: Oh, this is terrible. And why is it so dirty around here, Hol? What is this stuff?
Holly: That is Catering Officer Olaf Petersen.
Lister: Aaaah! I've been eating half the crew!

Yep, weirduncletiki will not be posting as Iuka Grogg anymore. One person, one profile, Dave.

R

In honor or the "What's Changed On Tiki Central" thread, I've been trying to plan a cool event that can showcase the changes. Here is what I've been thinking:

The 1st Annual Tiki Central "It's All About The Tiki" Tiki Event & Gala. It will cost $24 to attend and you will be provided with an "Official Tiki Central Electro-Shock Dog Collar". The event will allow you, the TCIAATTTE&G attendee to talk tiki and nothing but tiki to all your favorite totally tiki people attending the event as well. Be warned, however, if at anytime conversation switches from anything other than tiki, Hanford will press a button that will shock the crap out of you as a warning that such non-tiki topics are strictly prohibited. All humor, fun, creativity, and personality MUST be of a tiki nature. After you have been shocked for showing your "other than tiki" side, you must consider yourself warned, any further indiscretions or showing of creativity or a diverse personality will cause you to be banned from the event.

The only problem I can't seem to resolve is the entertainment for the event. I would love to have The Maikai Gents play, but unfortunately Iuka Grogg will not be allowed to attend, because we will only allow Weird Uncle Tiki. Of course, I don't think I need to even explain why The Smokin' Menehunes are out of the question as well.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Doesn't this event sound like so much fun? When responding to this event, I would appreciate it though if you refrain from using "Emoticons". Must I remind you all that little smiley faces ARE NOT tiki!!!

Riptide: Why don't you find some other web forum where you can discuss all things not tiki if you are dissatisfied with the guidelines regarding subject matter here? Or start your own? Or is it just easier to biatch about it here?

R

On 2006-01-22 12:33, Tiki-bot wrote:
Riptide: Why don't you find some other web forum where you can discuss all things not tiki if you are dissatisfied with the guidelines regarding subject matter here? Or start your own? Or is it just easier to biatch about it here?

I want it all!

In all honesty, I agree, that it is wrong to dis-rail threads and that the "tiki" related topics, should remain on the topic of tiki. However, when placing restrictions on "what people can post", whether or not they can use "alter-egos" (I'm sorry Mr. Twain, but all your books must say Samuel Clemens), and then banning them if they do, I think a line has been crossed. I really think that banning this behavior from even an area like "Bilge" is ridiculous. This was the types of craziness and "non-tiki" stuff that Bilge was created for, but now even that is restricted. It is like telling students that they can't goof around in class, because that is what recess is for, but then telling them to quit having fun and being silly and that they should take recess seriously.

A while back I had a conversation with Hanford at the Tiki Ti. We were talking about different ways that Hanford could actually make money from TC. There already was the "Grand Membership", but not that many people had actually become one. One of the things Hanford said was "Charging for TC is a tough thing, because all TC is, is the people that post." I agreed and I became a "Grand Member" because I enjoyed ALL the posts and fun with the TC Ohana. By stifling the creativity and restricting the allowed content, I feel I am not getting the same product that I paid for. As a paying customer of this service, I feel I have the right to express my opinions. Maybe I am way of base and am the only one who feels this way, but I am still entitled to my beliefs.

I can make the same statement to you, Tiki-Bot. You don't have to read this topic, read my post, or anything else that might upset your beliefs about how you want TC to be, but I would be the last person to say that you don't have the right to respond or criticize what you feel is wrong with my or anyone else's posts.

I've been trying to plan a cool event that can showcase the changes. Here is what I've been thinking: The 1st Annual Tiki Central "It's All About The Tiki" Tiki Event & Gala.

Oooooooh that's a stinger Riptide! Good one! um. Yeah.

Seriously, it would have been good if it weren't for the fact that Beyond Tiki exists. Or Bilge. Or the 'Ohana forum. Or the Grand Membership forum. Or, hey, you can chat about virtually anything under the sun in real time, 24 hours a day, using TikiShout (if anyone wants to chat back with you). Oh, and for almost five years I happily allowed multiple profiles and only shut them down after abuse of them got way out of control in a variety of different ways.

Riptide, I know you're of the opinion that multiple profiles equals pure comedy gold, but the cons outweighed the pros. There are topics that have discussed it at length, and the vast majority of TCers who I've discussed it with agreed. Clicking of the "abuse" button in Shout has dropped to absolute zero since I implemented the no-multiple-names there.

There's still a zillion ways to have off-topic fun on Tiki Central. The reality of the situation just doesn't seem to justify the noise you're making.

Riptide (and everyone else), I do appreciate your comments and want your feedback. Of course, the way you frame your commentary will influence the framing of my reply.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-01-22 14:05 ]

Oh for heaven's sake.

The whole multiple ID thing is just another case of a few jerks spoiling it for everyone else. Because of them, no one else can do it now. And as Midnite and many others ably demonstrate every day, genuine humor, aka wit, is not dead around here.

Hanford's being fair and implementing the policy across the board, which seems perfectly civilized to me. At first glance, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to allow performers like Iuka or advice columnists/commercial enterprises like WWJD alternate profiles, but the problem is, sooner or later SOME turnip would find a way to abuse the policy, and we'd be right back to the full ban.

Why don't y'all go smack up (just verbally, of course...) the real problem folks who ruined the fun? I bet lots of people know exactly who they are.

tikivixen

p.s. Hugs to Russell S. Monkey! I owe you a Monkey's Ass, little dude :)

Isn't this Hanford's website? If he wants to charge $50 a month to talk about rubber chickens it's ok because we can choose not to be a part of it. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a huge thing called the internet where people can do and say all sorts of things? This is just one address. If you don't like it, get your own.

T

I can make the same statement to you, Tiki-Bot. You don't have to read this topic, read my post, or anything else that might upset your beliefs about how you want TC to be, but I would be the last person to say that you don't have the right to respond or criticize what you feel is wrong with my or anyone else's posts.

What I may or may not want TC to be is completely irrelevant, and I never made any statement about what I wanted it to be. It's Hanford's gig. If you feel you didn't get what you paid for, take it up with him directly.

My opinion is that no matter what anyone says to you regarding this, you will find an angle to argue that you hadn't before, all for no apparent reason. This sort of behavior gets you the coveted "Attention Whore" award:

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - removed broken image link - 2006-12-01 16:43 ]

For what it's worth, my opinion is, this is the best site on the Internet.

I come here to get away from the stupidity everywhere else.

Hanford walks that fine line between boss/co-worker with all of us as masterfully as it gets.

Keep up the great work!

What's changed about Tiki Central? Every day gets better than the last.

Thank you hanford lemoore.

On 2006-01-22 15:32, The Granite Tiki wrote:
For what it's worth, my opinion is, this is the best site on the Internet.

I come here to get away from the stupidity everywhere else.

Hanford walks that fine line between boss/co-worker with all of us as masterfully as it gets.

Keep up the great work!

What's changed about Tiki Central? Every day gets better than the last.

Thank you hanford lemoore.

I couldn't possibly agree more. :)

On 2006-01-22 14:04, hanford_lemoore wrote:

I do appreciate your comments and want your feedback. Of course, the way you frame your commentary will influence the framing of my reply.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-01-22 14:05 ]

Hey Hamford!!! Uckfay Oooyay!

Can't wait for my/your reply!! ( ha harrrrr!!)

We'll drink again soon.

If people put all their negative energy into positive energy, Tiki would be bigger than Nascar!!

Stop all your whining bitches!!! Don't sip, drink!!! And, visit your local tiki bar often so it won't close!!

Remember, Tiki is a get away from it all thang.

Back to the Plumbing Forum...

Yikes....

Let's all step back from the edge, folks.

M

On 2006-01-22 14:58, tikivixen wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake.

The whole multiple ID thing is just another case of a few jerks spoiling it for everyone else. Because of them, no one else can do it now. And as Midnite and many others ably demonstrate every day, genuine humor, aka wit, is not dead around here.

Hanford's being fair and implementing the policy across the board, which seems perfectly civilized to me. At first glance, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to allow performers like Iuka or advice columnists/commercial enterprises like WWJD alternate profiles, but the problem is, sooner or later SOME turnip would find a way to abuse the policy, and we'd be right back to the full ban.

Why don't y'all go smack up (just verbally, of course...) the real problem folks who ruined the fun? I bet lots of people know exactly who they are.

tikivixen  

p.s. Hugs to Russell S. Monkey! I owe you a Monkey's Ass, little dude

I am tugged by both sides here. I am pissed that Hanford actually temporarily banned Inky from TC, but I do understand the reasons for his policy. It is not that Inky is a sht-stirring member. Yes, Inky is an innocent victim of the previous sht stirring "members" that either posted bad stuff and another name -or were banned and rejoined under multiple aliases so they could stir more crap. One bad apple may not spoil the whole lunch, girl, but many bad apples did spoil our have good, reasonable fun occasionally using multiple TC names!
In the past I semi-seriously joked with Hanford that we should be allowed ONE extra TC name if we desired. No, he won't do that, so please don't suggest he change his policy. I am not trying to start a vote here!
I have a feeling that Inky will no longer return, but Russell will! :) I have the right to be pissed at Hanford, he has the right to ban those that break the rules. So, all I have to say is, "Hanford, I still love you, man!" :) Smiley, out.

M

Here is an addition and postscript to my last post in case anyone may think I think Hanford is no longer the man! "Hang in there Hanford, TC may not seem worth it to you at times, but for 99% of us at 99% of the times, We love it and you for all your work. If I was going to SF Vic's tonight I'd give you a hug! :)"

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-01-23 16:46 ]

I

On 2006-01-23 09:56, mrsmiley wrote:
One bad apple may not spoil the whole lunch, girl

I must protest MrSmiley's misquotation of the above lyric reference. Any true fan of bubblegum music would know that the real lyrics for the Osmond Brothers 1971 #1 hit song goes "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl" The proper word is bunch, not lunch.

After all, one bad apple can indeed spoil a good lunch - especially if it is the final food item to be consumed in your meal, and leaves a bad wormy taste in your mouth for the rest of the day.

I am ignorant, though, on whether one bad banana is able to spoil the whole bunch, girl. Perhaps that is a question that only Russell S Monkey can answer.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-01-23 15:55 ]

M

If I was going to SF Vic's tonight I'd give you a hug!

Me too, but it's "Mondays at 'Brokeback Mountain'" for this cowboy midnite!

Hanford is the man, indeed. I don't say that just because of what happened the last time I spoke poorly of "HL". Got paid a little visit from some of them Monolux guys, the clean-cut looking ones in the dark business suits. The "Monolux Mafia". That's not my term!, just repeating what I hears around. I ain't waking up pantsless, with empty Kleenex boxes on my feet, in the Ladies Room of the Denny's restaurant in Blythe, Ca... again!

Lesson learned.

midnite

T

TC is one of the single most informative guides to tiki in the world. (Bot as well) But the wonderful thing about TC is it grows evrey day. More and more comes out. Bungys stories,pictures from stockton islander, A swizzle here, A mug there. " Hey has any body seen this" Bam two days later you get an answer! That's TC to me. Artisans helping one and all. (shared ideas) That's TC to me. The gravy if you will is the friendships that form in between all the drinking and tiki talk. That too is TC. Hanford I don't know you, but I have been screwing you for years. In that I have reap the benifits of TC for years and have not paid a dime. I will become a grand member to right this wrong. Thank you hanford for your efforts. Thank you one and all, for making TC great!!!!
I encourage all persons who benifit from TC to pitch in some how. (ie money)
I know I would not do this for love or money!

what is going on?

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2006-01-25 22:13 ]

M

On 2006-01-20 21:49, russell s. monkey wrote:
TIKI CENTRAL ROX MY BANANA!

I have it on good authority that Inky has spanked her monkey! Bad Monkey!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies