Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

General Lee's Scorpion / Chinatown Los Angeles.

Pages: 1 7 replies

I seriously doubt that General Lee's (in Chinatown) is very, if at all Tiki. But I read in a recent review, of Damon's in Glendale, that General Lee's may serve the best Scorpion in town. I suspect that I'll receive an attachment to where this conversation has already taken place -- but anybody got the down low on General Lee's Scorpion.

T.B.

Tiki Baron,

We go to Chinatown every year for the Golden Shower, er... Dragon parade. Where is this General Lee's, off Broadway (not like 'off Broadway' but off the street Broadway)

Well, appearently General Lee's is now the Mountain Bar. I wrote (spoke) too soon. Digital City makes the Mountain Bar seem to have a tiki flair, but D.C. has lied to me before.

Mountain Bar

T.B.

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-10-22 18:02 ]

To answer my own question, and just for the sake of those who may take some time out to read this, I stopped into Mountain Bar last night - and there's nothing Tiki about it.
No Tiki Drinks, No Tiki Decor - Nada.

When I stopped in and asked (a young actor type) bartender if they still made Scorpions here -- he gave me that:

Scorpion...is that even a REAL drink look..

After that I ordered a "perfect" martini -- then I explained to Skippy (not his real name) what a Perfect martini meant. Granted, I feel as if I'm paying for my prior sins, seeing how I, myself, was a horrible bartender when I was a "professional", and it wasn't until a few years later that I found the love of the craft.

So I put a stop to the Martini, and asked what the Bartender's specialty was -- and his reply was he made a pretty mean Mojito, and he did, it was good. Mountain Bar is an Ultra HIP hideout (by the way it's just off of Hill Street), that charges twice as much as the bar 15 yards away - just FYI. If you're prowling Chinatown it's worth a stop, other than that - forget about it.

T.B.

Tiki Ti makes the best Scorpions in the county.

On 2003-10-22 14:06, Tiki Baron wrote:

I seriously doubt that General Lee's (in Chinatown) is very, if at all Tiki. But I read in a recent review, of Damon's in Glendale, that General Lee's may serve the best Scorpion in town. I suspect that I'll receive an attachment to where this conversation has already taken place -- but anybody got the down low on General Lee's Scorpion.

T.B.

General Lee's is set to reopen, albeit not Tiki, according to la.eater.com:
A new bar is slated to open in Chinatown under the name General Lee's, designed by Alexis Readinger of Preen (Taberna Arros y Vi). It replaces the shuttered Mountain Bar and its aesthetic is described as "Edgy, intimate, Hong Kong post punk couture meets Agent Provocateur." Curious. [EaterWire]

Apparently, Tiki drinks now can be had at Chinatown's Grand Star:

http://la.eater.com/archives/2013/06/28/starry_kitchen_begins_residency_at_grand_star_jazz_club.php

They've had Tiki Drinks at Grandstar for years, they have a solid Lapu Lapu and a solid Suffering Bastard.

Pages: 1 7 replies