Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

B

Outstanding Dereck! Thanx!

I remember the Kapu Kai because I grew up in Claremont in the 1960s and it was a memorable landmark--memorable enough for me to do a Google search a few decades later and stumble into this website.

The exterior was illuminated at night and looked quite impressive. The postcard picture hardly does it justice. I only actually ate there once, in about 1966 or 1967, when I was about 10 or 11 years old. There was a car show there of some kind one night that I attended with my parents.

Anyway, the thing that made me remember the Kapu Kai was the WATERFALLS! Nobody here has said anything about the WATERFALLS. Now to explain the waterfalls. A section of the exterior facade was covered with rocks (probably lava-type rocks) from ground to roof and water came cascading down from the roof over all the rocks. It was all dramatically illuminated and was absolutely the most spectacular thing I had ever seen in my short life. Maybe the waterfall part was only few yards wide, but to my kid-sized sense of scale it seemed huge. After the place was abandoned we drove past it many times while travelling along Foothill Blvd. and it made me glum to see the wreckage and know that I would never see those waterfalls again.

Next I will let my brother know there are people on the internet still talking about the Kapu Kai--he'll be as astonished as I was.

P.S.
I looked more closely at the postcard picture and hey! the waterfall thing is clearly visible on the right side of the image and it really does rise from ground to rooftop. Reading all the postings here has been quite an adventure. Thanks to all!

I finally found one of the Kapu Kai postcards a while back, it is one of my absolute favorites.

Saw the glass and ashtray on ebay recently.

DC

Here is a matchbook with the feature matches intact.

I picked up an extra postcard, if anybody wants to trade send me a PM.

DC

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-10-13 12:59 ]

Hello everybody! Been a while since we posted in this thread and I wanted to provide an update. I located the daughter of one of my father's partners and she related this story:

"As far as my own memories of your parents I would like to tell you that I have fond ones. Warren was always so kind to me and even hired me to work in the bar (although I couldn't tell a wiskey sour from a margurita). I was a complete failure there so they put me in the dining room.

I recall one year we advertised opening the dinnerhouse for a "Thanksgiving Special" serving a wonderful turkey dinner with all the trimmings for one low price. Well, we had so many customers we were overwhelmed! The people were coming in by what seemed like truck loads. Warren put me in charge of seating the customers...in other words, the hostess. Well I had no idea what to do with all these people, having no experience in this field in my entire life (right along with the liquor thing) but he seemed to stay so cool and calm and that in turn calmed me. I recall some of the customers that night even handing me twenty and forty dollars to seat them before others. I proceeded to give Warren that money because I thought it was suppose to go back to the restaurant....I didn't have a clue. He just laughed and said, "no that's yours to keep". Of course I was ecstatic."

T

ALoha KapuKaiSon...it's great to see you posting here again...keep the stories and photos coming (memorabilia too !)

On 2003-10-26 13:23, Unga Bunga wrote:

God , I'm glad I asked so long ago.
If I could go back in time, the Kapu Kai would be on my list.

T

On 2010-02-11 21:20, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2003-10-26 13:23, Unga Bunga wrote:

Hear Here !

Roll a few games, dinner, cocktails..a perfect night out !

T

Wow! WOW! WOW!!!

I'm so glad this thread got updated, I'd never seen it before.

What an incredible story, and what an incredible place! So sad that it met such a tragic end! If not for that flood, it might still be around today!

Thank you everybody who has provided information on this amazing lost tiki palace!

What a great read this was. Bummer about the loss. My wife has made the salad dressing. YUMMY and a big hit with our dinner guests.

^^ Glad you liked the dressing. I guess you and you guests are the first (besides our family) to try that recipe in over 40 years!

On 2010-02-11 21:23, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2010-02-11 21:20, Unga Bunga wrote:

Hear Here !

Roll a few games, dinner, cocktails..a perfect night out !

Imagine a "lodge night" type of event here with the Tikiyaki Orchestra!

T

Man, THAT would be amazing !

On 2008-01-06 11:23, tikiyaki wrote:
I think I've seen...and a bowling alley too....don't even get me started on Mid Century Bowling culture.....geez...

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-01-06 11:25 ]

I wonder if you know of any place where we might find more information about the place from the Bowling angle? I've contacted the "descendant' of the ABC Sanctioning body, (United States Bowling Congress) and they replied that have nave no records earlier than the 80's. Anybody know of a "defunctbowling.com" site somewhere?

T

On 2010-02-14 19:20, kapu_kai_son wrote:

I think I've seen...and a bowling alley too....don't even get me started on Mid Century Bowling culture.....geez...

I wonder if you know of any place where we might find more information about the place from the Bowling angle? I've contacted the "descendant' of the ABC Sanctioning body, (United States Bowling Congress) and they replied that have nave no records earlier than the 80's. Anybody know of a "defunctbowling.com" site somewhere?

The only other thing I could think of in that regard is contacting either AMF or Brunswick, whomever outfitted the Kapu Kai with Bowling machinery and pins....judging by the 2 stripes on the pins and the displays above the pinsetters, it looks like AMF. Perhaps they have pictures or records. They MAY have something....but it's so long ago.

Also, the architectural firm who designed and built it...and then there is the Public Library of Cucamonga....They probably have some newspaper articles about the flood on Microfilm, as well as newspaper ads and articles on the place.

Other than that, I don't know. Perhaps your mom has more info ?

On 2010-02-14 21:14, tikiyaki wrote:
judging by the 2 stripes on the pinwould be a trophy.s and the displays above the pinsetters, it looks like AMF.

Who is the guy that paints Tikis on old bowling pins?
One of those Kapu pins would be a great trophy.
(a very sad picture by the way)

On 2010-02-14 21:14, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2010-02-14 19:20, kapu_kai_son wrote:

...Perhaps they have pictures or records. They MAY have something....but it's so long ago.

Also, the architectural firm who designed and built it...and then there is the Public Library of Cucamonga....They probably have some newspaper articles about the flood on Microfilm, as well as newspaper ads and articles on the place.

Other than that, I don't know. Perhaps your mom has more info ?

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my mom is tapped out. She went through her old boxes but didn't find anything new. I will be writing to the architects, and have found some newspapers online (pay only) that I will source soon. Other than the somewhat nebulous Route 66 connection, that's mostly all I can think of. Thanks for the thoughts, you guys are great!

Aloha, I wanted to check back in. We're going to be in Cucamonga/LA from April 22 through the 28th. I'm going to be conducting interviews with people that have stories to tell about the Kapu Kai. (including many who have posted here) Hopefully, I can come up with an interesting (home brew) documentary about the place. If you still live in the area and have stories or photos of the Kapu Kai, or the flood damage in general please DM me. We are keeping our schedule loose with time between interviews so we can add a few more people (we appear to have the most extra time on Sunday the 25th.) That's all for now and thanks to all here at Tiki Central for the inspiration!

Aloha everyone,

Colin & I just returned from our "trip back in time" to Cucamonga to film his mini-doc on the demise of the bowling alley, restaurant, coffee shop known as Kapu Kai. We enjoyed meeting, talking and filming some of the Tiki Central fans - specifically, Sven, Bosko, Bob, Le Roy, John, & Jeffery. Everyone was so helpful in recollecting and adding to the knowledge of the Kai and the subsequent flooding and preserving some of the artifacts. We also were fortunate in contacting Kelly at the Ontario Library; Linda Frost & Joe Filippi who lived in the area. We took many stills and videos and will see if Colin has enough to make his mini -documentary. Mahalo to all participants for your time and supportive help!

T

Wow, I missed these last few posts. That is very exciting news !

Yes, I'd like to add my thanks as well. Everybody's generosity and kindness has been overwhelming. I have a feeling that im not done begging for pictures Of the Kapu Kai (pre-flood) but I think we're off to a good start. Hopefully with time, others will see this thread and have a picture or two to share. Mahalo to all!

Here's a better copy of that architect's rendering (by TALLEY-GUEVARA) that I found today in South Carolina:

Kapu-Kai Restaurant, Cucamonga, CA by Devlin Thompson, on Flickr

Nice, much better than than the high contrast copy that I had found on a brochure. I used it in a collage I made for the invite card to the very first Tiki Oasis in 2001:

Did you find the original rendering? It would be great if Kapu Kai Son could use it for his family documentary project, it is finally getting finished and looking real good!

HT

Oh wow. That's gorgeous. Thanks for bumping the thread.

Does any urban tiki archeologist out there know of any other tiki establishments with the word "kapu" in its name and the fate of the edifice? For example Kapu-Ahi (forbidden fire)that burned down. The irony kills me that Kapu-kai was ended by water even though it was freshwater (wai). I'm not superstitious or anything but the word "kapu" and its sister Polynesian derivatives tapu, or tabu (taboo in English)is a strong word, meaning as most of us know, sacred or forbidden. Curses were associated with this word. Just wondering not implying anything. The word "Taboo" in Polynesian Pop, I know is used commonly but using this version of the word seems to be safer. No tabu with "taboo". Again just wondering. Not intending to offend anyone in this interesting but sad thread. Obviously there were many other tiki buildings with the same misfortune without Kapu, tapu or tabu in their names. I guess I do sound a little superstitious :). I have a feeling posting this will be a curse.

Been awhile, but I wanted to revisit everyone here to share our finished video. As with many video projects, it had several 'ups and downs' but the finished video is something I'm pleased with.

http://www.satoauto.com/odds-and-ends/2013/9/5/the-kapu-kai.html

I'd like to thank Sven, Bosko, Jeff and everyone else who donated their time to help with this story. -Colin

H

Very interesting video. Very well done.

Really enjoyed the video. It's a great introductory to the world of tiki. It would be a good piece to show to people who are not "in the know".

It must have been quite the experience investigating this chapter of your family's history. Congrats on creating this.

Great doc. Thanks for doing it, and sharing with us.

Jeff btd

The things I love about this video are that it gives Tiki a human face by showing how it related to the lives of an American family. Also that it talks about the early early Tiki revival activities of us few nerds out there. But most of all that it makes the aspect of urban archeology comprehensible. Very few of the Tiki docus out there have touched on that, and the fact that this kind of intelligence gathering was the basis for all the partying and drinking that ensued since then. :)

Colin, I really dig the slideshow below, your folks must have felt like the coolest kids on the block back then :)

This film is also a great example of how Tiki Central can function as a gathering place of information about lost Tiki palaces. If you go back to page 1, you can see how this documentary is a direct result of the united postings on this thread.

This thread yes!!!!

Facebook, no!

Most amazing! Mahaloz to all

Amazing Documentary! I live literally a few blocks from where the Kapu Kai used to be (sadly, its now an Albertsons) Across the street, parts of the Thomas Winery still exist as a restaurant and coffee bar.

Bravo on this labor of love! I found myself wanting to hear more stories from the Kapu Kai when it was running, and less about the aftermath Discovery.

On a side note, I have been searching for one of the Kapu Kai bucket mugs for years. Every time I'm in a junktique, antique store, I plow through all the Harvey's bucket mugs hoping to discover that hidden Kapu Kai.

I really enjoyed that video!

WOW!
Excellent job Colin. A++
Thanks for doing that.
Your parents looked like they were a pretty hipped couple back in the day.

Long live the memory of the Kapu Kai!

Kudos on an excellent documentary Colin! I wish I could have seen it in it's full glory, especially considering I grew up in the Inland Empire.

Thanks for posting this Colin!
Great job on the documentary. Like Sven said, the way you edited it, did a nice job of explaining the concept of urban archaeology.

Aloha

T

Wow! How fantastic and nice to see it all come full circle. My hat goes off to the original pioneers of Tiki Central and their Urban Archaeological explorations. Nice to see it all pay off.

On 2013-10-17 12:20, chrisandsarahb wrote:
I found myself wanting to hear more stories from the Kapu Kai when it was running, and less about the aftermath Discovery.

I do expect this comment, especially here. However, although we set out to talk more about the place in operation, the reality is that there are few left who actually remember it firsthand. I suppose that Murphy's Law will have everyone come out of the woodwork now, but at the time we were making this, there were few people available to talk to about it.

BUT, thank you for taking the time to watch a ~30 minute film! And thanks for all the kind words from everyone else here. There were so many people to thank for their assistance that it's hard to know where to start!

I absolutely loved it. I was rivetted for the entire film. Many thanks to all those who helped to make this.

T

Just spent a pleasant evening enjoying this incredible documentary and the slideshow on the website (with accompanying mai tais) ... so informative and moving!

It would be great if this could be screened at an event like Tiki Oasis, such a wealth of information that can be dispersed among the tiki people!

On 2013-10-18 22:10, tobunga wrote:
Just spent a pleasant evening enjoying this incredible documentary and the slideshow on the website (with accompanying mai tais) ... so informative and moving!

It would be great if this could be screened at an event like Tiki Oasis, such a wealth of information that can be dispersed among the tiki people!

That would probably be fun, but I'm guessing that by the time the next Tiki Oasis rolls around, everyone who wants to see it will have done so. However, I'm not opposed to it if there is still interest.

On 2013-10-16 20:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
The things I love about this video are that it gives Tiki a human face by showing how it related to the lives of an American family. Also that it talks about the early early Tiki revival activities of us few nerds out there. But most of all that it makes the aspect of urban archeology comprehensible. Very few of the Tiki docus out there have touched on that, and the fact that this kind of intelligence gathering was the basis for all the partying and drinking that ensued since then. :)

Colin, I really dig the slideshow below, your folks must have felt like the coolest kids on the block back then :)

Thanks Sven! Actually, the women in the yellow sweater is my dads sister. This is my mom and dad back in the day:

I was hoping to get my aunt to talk about it but she simply doesn't recall much and/or is not happy to discuss it.

AF

WONDERFUL!!

C
Chub posted on Wed, Oct 30, 2013 10:43 PM

Bravo, bravo!!! I am so happy you took the time to do such a wonderful job on this film. Like "the Tikis", the Kapu Kai is just one of those places that I have been mesmerized by and curious about even though I never had the chance to experience it in person.

A few questions, do you have any idea why your Father was reluctant to speak about the Kapu Kai as you were growing up? You also mentioned your Aunt was also no happy to speak about it. What do you think the reasons would be for this? Maybe the flood was just too painful to talk about?

On 2013-10-30 22:43, Chub wrote:
A few questions, do you have any idea why your Father was reluctant to speak about the Kapu Kai as you were growing up? You also mentioned your Aunt was also no happy to speak about it. What do you think the reasons would be for this? Maybe the flood was just too painful to talk about?

They are not the only ones involved that want to 'forget' it ever happened. I discovered the children of (one) of my dad's partners and his surviving wife. After some correspondence, they felt it was too painful to dredge up old memories. The lost their home as well, but being older than my parents, I'm sure it was more financially difficult to recover. It truly was a life altering event for our respective families, something that must be difficult to describe today if you didn't live through it.

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies