Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:51 ]

Greetings to all - I'm Beatnikini, friend of Vintage Girl. Before I post, I thought I'd stop here to say hello!

Aloha and Mahalo one and all!

-Beatnikini

I

AaaaaloooooooHA! Finally I have found a board with folks with the same crazy tiki-thing as I. I live in Lancaster, Ca where the nearest Tiki Bar is down in LA (IE: Tiki Ti, Trader Vics). I've have collecting tiki mugs for about a year and half now and it's starting to get out of hand. Just have to purchase a larger case told them in! I married with two little tiki's ages 5 and 8. They too are learning and appriciating the world of polynesian tiki culture. My wife is from Hawaii so this actually is her fault! But I can't complain. I just got back from the Hukilau and had a wonderfull time and met quite a few of nice folks. Some of you may have seen me, I whore red fez at the hotel evening festivities. I was the younger looking one...... How many made it to the Mai Kai? Happy to be here!
Ikabod

Welcome IKABOD!...
My wife and I were at Hukilau too...
Don't think we met you though...If you'r ever in San Diego we'd love to show you around....

Test

K

I met several of you at Hukilau. I'm Jen (Dave-Basement Kahuna's girlfriend). Had a great time and can't wait to see you guys again!

Talofa & Aloha, new here to TC and am glad to be a part of this unique and wonderful group of tiki enthusiasts and lovers of Polynesian Culture. Met many of you at the Hukilau, as we performed and introduced our newest tiki guest. If you missed it this year, make sure to plan for next year as Swanky and Tiki Kiliki are sure to bring you one helluva tiki time indeed! As a resident here in Fort Lauderdale, the Mai Kai was a part of growing up and still is, the warm aloha and feel of ohana magic you all experience is the essence of Mr.Thortons Polynesian Palace. Looking forward to meeting the TC ohana and should anyone need their fix or update of Hukilau Heaven, Mai Kai, let me know, just minutes away.

Howdy and aloha all! My name is Myke (aka TikiWineBear) and I seem to becoming a tiki-aholic. Born in northern California in the late 50's, tiki's and I seem to coexist quite well. I currently live in Santa Rosa, north of San Francisco in the Sonoma Wine country, thus the "wine" part of TikiWineBear. Over the last year, Ebay and Holden (Tiki Farm) have heard from me and my credit cards quite often. I am planning on next year's Hukilau, but I was unable to attend this years due to already spending my vacation plans on Maui (our annual fix to the islands). Looking forward in hearing from other tiki enthusiastics in the Bay Area, and learn about any upcoming Tiki Bar Crawls, especially the new opening of Trader Vic's in SFrancisco! Until then, may the Tiki be with you and float the aloha to all parts of the world!

M

Hi, new to the forum. Mel1959 is the handle, and the year I was born. Got into computers late in life and not always too sure what I am doing on them. Hope I am posting correctly now.
I have always wanted my own Tiki bar and now that I have a house with a bar and pool table room already in it, the time is right. can use all the help and support I can get. Having a hard time finding anything Tiki in the middle of the country, but slowly finding a few choice items. Also have become a slave to ebay. Thanks for creating a great place to share and learn from!

welcome aboard mel1959! where"in the middle of the land" are you located?

Hi, my name is Aaron and this is my first post!! I have been collecting tiki's for around 5 years. I have heard about this site through numerous sources, but never visited, you could say i have been out of the loop. This place is great!! Many Kudos to the creators of this site!!

Welcome Aaron, alias kimcheebref! We look forward to hearing from another tiki veteran. Just stand a bit downwind when you speak.

Sabu the Coconut Bref (mmmm. smells like coconut)

RB

Aloha! Been lurking for several months. Sipping on a glass of Havana Club Anejo Reserva that's an early birthday present from my brother, and said to myself, "Now's the time to register at TC."

Appreciate all the great insight and opinions here with the flaming kept to the drinks (mostly!).

And finally, I can't believe no one had this user name already!

M

Welcome Rum Balls. Glad you stepped out of the shadows to join us. Love the picture you posted in "Members Photos" as well! I think you'll fit right in.

T

On 2004-10-02 23:44, PolyProud1 wrote:
Talofa & Aloha, new here to TC and am glad to be a part of this unique and wonderful group of tiki enthusiasts and lovers of Polynesian Culture. Met many of you at the Hukilau, as we performed and introduced our newest tiki guest. If you missed it this year, make sure to plan for next year as Swanky and Tiki Kiliki are sure to bring you one helluva tiki time indeed! As a resident here in Fort Lauderdale, the Mai Kai was a part of growing up and still is, the warm aloha and feel of ohana magic you all experience is the essence of Mr.Thortons Polynesian Palace. Looking forward to meeting the TC ohana and should anyone need their fix or update of Hukilau Heaven, Mai Kai, let me know, just minutes away.

Like everyone else, I was blown away by Polynesian Proud. Awesome!

Please contact me via PM or email if you're interested in performing up in Tampa Bay.

DL

Hi all!

My name is Lauren. I live in Baltimore, MD. I wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My boyfriend Chris and I are still reeling from Hukilau! We had such a fabulous time! Everyone we met was super nice. I can't stop listening to my new I Belli and King Kukulele CDs! They're helping me to ignore the fact that the temperature here dropped about 30 degrees from the day we left for Hukilau and October 1, which was when we got back from Florida. :wink:
It would be nice to know some TC folks when we go to Tiki Oasis and Hukilau 2005. This is a great Web site. :)
Oh, and Hukilau managed to convert Chris to tikiphile staus; he is now addicted to collecting tiki mugs. He can't wait until next year either!

Aloha!
Lauren

P
Physed posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2004 9:39 PM

Hi Everyone, My name is Ed and I own a gym in MA called Physical Ed's Fitness. I collect Funko Wacky Wobblers and am in the process of dedicating a large workout room in my gym to all things Tiki. Feel free to shoot me any great decorating ideas and web site locations. I am trying to locate a really unique, quality 5 foot or so Tiki. Also feel free to ck. out my gym at http://www.physed.com

B

I had no idea this was so big. I just found this site while looking for other people who like tiki stuff. I hand-build original tiki mugs in my ceramics studio. I love all things tropical and tiki and love to travel.

I have a website. http://www.kimberlypcoburn.com if you want to see what I do. I'm really excited to find this forum. Aloha & Maholo!

T

Aloha Deery Luau,
Yeah more Balt/DC/VA people in the area! Now if we only had someplace to go. BTW we have a local site that kind of keeps up with local MD/VA/DC events.

P

Welcome, Kimberly!

Yes, you have found the Tiki Mother Lode.

That's some pretty amusing stuff you've got there. I enjoyed your website a lot.

B

On 2004-10-11 21:50, PiPhiRho wrote:
That's some pretty amusing stuff you've got there. I enjoyed your website a lot.

Thanks a million! Mother lode is right! I'm on livejournal and get excited when I meet someone with 750 friends, but you guys have over 2,000 members?! WOW! I'm in a state of overwhelm.

I'm just going to have to jump in and get to know you! You'll probably find me in the creating tiki forums, hanging out with the other artist type folks.

Thanks for having a place for geeks like me to indulge eccentric tastes!

On 2004-10-11 21:21, Turbogod wrote:
Aloha Deery Luau,
Yeah more Balt/DC/VA people in the area! Now if we only had someplace to go. BTW we have a local site that kind of keeps up with local MD/VA/DC events.

hey Deery Luau! what TURBOgod said :)

also, don't know where in balmer you live but if you haven't yet, check out Hampden Junque and In Watermelon Sugar http://www.hampdenmainstreet.org/ for all your tiki mug needs :)

aloha hon!

Howzit all? just found this site a week ago,and decided to join! I love the Hawaiian Lifestyle,and dig tikis ! cant wait to try carving in the future!

Welcome aboard Book 'em Dano. If it's tikis and the island lifestyle ya have a taste for, then you've found a friendly port.

Johnny Dollar and TURBOgod, mahalo for the warm welcome!
I live in Mt. Vernon area of Bawlmer, hons. I love Hampden. In fact, I was just there yesterday for brunch at Golden West Cafe. They have a bamboo/tiki hut-type fish tank in there! You should check it out if you haven't already. Very cool (despite the puddle on the floor next to it...)! Hampden Junque is one of my favorite spots on The Avenue, indeedie. Got a Fu Man Chu there yesterday!
It IS truly sad that we MD/DC/NoVA folks don't really have anywhere tiki to frolic year round. I have not yet made the trip down to Vera's. MUST do that next summer! Maybe we can all go together? Road Trip!
Bo Brooks in Canton opened the Krab Kove floating tiki deck this past Spring. My friend did the marketing and graphic design for it. Sadly, the staff are not fun at all and seemed annoyed when we ordered some sort of tiki beverage. Hmmmmm. Low TPSY factor, too. :(
Were you guys at Hukilau this year?

Hey all!
Just stumbled upon this site last night and I think I can fairly say that I'm hooked. I've been interested in Tiki for quite some time, but never realized just how endless the possibilities are. I'm completely inspired by some of the home tiki bars I've been looking at on Konakai.com. Now comes the difficult part, collecting all the appropriate bric-a-brac and buying a house...har har. That second part should be happening at some point in the near future, but it'd be great to have enough great stuff for a tiki room before hand. I shall start carving this evening :). Any south Texas tiki-philes willing to clue me in on the local scene can drop me a line and be very appreciated :).

Charlie

meow!!!1

hi i just wanted to say hi to everyone.

i am now establishing my own identity on this board; transitioning from the waihini formerly known as "mrs. johnny $"

i worked hard at hukilau to get the spouses and significant others who have been brought into the tiki culture by marriage and association to create their own identities on this site and no longer be refered to as "my wahine" or "my kane." :wink:

mahalo,

waikiki kitty

M

Welcome waikiki kitty!!!!!!!

Glad you could join us and be know as more than Mrs. Johnny Dollar. It's a pleasure to meet you on TC and I look forward to meeting you and Johnny in person someday.

Thanks MachTiki!

Now that my kane Johnny has lured me into the blackhole of tikiness I'm hooked. We're already talkiing about heading to Chicago next year for a big Tiki fest so maybe we 'll have an opportunity to share some Mai Tais.

Aloha and Welcome waikiki kitty!

It was great to meet you and your Kane :wink: at the Hukilau, next time we meet drinks are on me!

HT

Aloha. I registered the other day, after passing by the link to the Tiki Room for the last year, i finally clicked on it. Anyway, my given name is Rick, though the one tattooed on my chest is Lucky. I have been a fan of all things tiki since I was a little kid. i got my second grade school picture in a Hawaiian shirt that i wore once a week. Last year after moving away from home, I started my first tiki bar. it was on sale for $500 off. Just your average, garden variey outdoor bar. Well, after a lot of working, and Kustomizing, I fit my bar into a tiny one room 10x9' apt in Washington DC. I was fortunate enough to eat at the Honolulu a bit before it closed forever. then I moved to philly, after starting quite a Tiki collection. I have mostly vintage mugs, and a few rarities. My bar was given a blessing by the owner of Kowloon, in Mass, after a mug buying spree, 12 total from Kowloon. He gave me a few items that weren't for sale, and wished me luck on starting my own bar someday. i try to do as many things as possible, including pinstipe, carve, creat stained glass windows, and anything else i can do to make tikis. MAHALO AND ALOHA!

Found this site a few months ago and have been just hangin' out in the shadows and seein whats what. I'm very interested in learning how to carve Tiki. I've been able to store about ten palm tree logs thanks to Frances and Jeanne. Purchased a few chisels from Lowes and now I'm ready to get some splinters. I'd really like to meet some of the people in my area that carve so I could learn this art. I'll bring the beer, alcohol, blender and ice. Hope to hear from some neighbors that are around Indian River Countiki. Take care and be safe.

Glen L.

Trader Matt reporting for tiki duty. Hit the Bali Hai with the family the other night. As a native of San Diego, it was my first visit in 30 years. The view alone will draw me back many times in the future.

What can I say, I love things tropical and tiki for sure. Building my own tiki hut and bar in my back yard right now.

I spend a lot of time on ebay looking for tiki stuff, also collecting vintage skateboards...

I'd like to carve a few of my own tikis sometime. And, I'm interested in using some of my sculpting skills to create some wax models for tiki mugs - any info on this is appreciated...

S

Hi All!

I've been trying to find a tiki bar (at-home version) and finally gave up and decided to try my hand at woodwork... googled tiki bar instructions or something like that, and ended up here. I am quite impressed by all of the talented arteests here and look forward to diving into this site a bit more.

For now, I am off to the hardware store to get the bar-making goods suggested in the book "Pad: The Guide to Ultra-Living." (Thanks for the great book recommendation, Hanford!)

Also, I'm new to L.A. and Trader Vic's is right down the road. Can't wait to have some sort of volcano-on-fire drink!

H

Welcome, ShaTikah, to Tiki Central and to Los Angeles! Where did you move from? I'm a somewhat recent arrival to Los Angeles myself, and I also live just a mile from the Trader Vic's (it's just northeast of me). I must admit, though, that I'm there much less frequently than I thought I would be--Tiki-Ti has turned out to be my more regular haunt. (Dale Sizer, a swell guy who has a tiki-ish setup featured in Pad, is often at Tiki-Ti, too.)

I'm a big fan of building your own tiki bar, but have you considered checking out Bamboo Ben's place? Ben is a regular poster here, a kickass guy, heir to a tiki dynasty (his grandfather was responsible for much tiki decor back in the day, including the famous moai that used to stand in front of the Stardust in Vegas), and a fine bamboo craftsman in his own right... his shop is in Huntington Beach. http://www.bambooben.com/ I own one of his mini tiki bars to hold me over until I own a house again and can go all-out with my own design.

S

Hi Humu!

Thanks for the welcome and Ben's info... I shall give him a call if my bar turns out to be firewood.

I moved out from Tempe, AZ. 4 years was more than enough for me. It's so nice to be back in CA.

I looked for Tiki-ti on Yahoo yellow pages; but no luck. I'd love to check it out.

Dale's place is amazing... every nook and cranny covered with fantastic finds.

Also, I hear there is some sort of discount tiki warehouse in Newport Beach somewhere. Anyone heard of it?

M
M

Sorry,
Just pressed enter too fast there on last post. My hubbie and I are coming over from Sydney to the next Tiki Oasis and MORE than insanely excited!
Can anyone recommend a good hotel/motel to stay at while we are in San Francisco for the week after??
Have looked at travel sites etc...just wondering if there are any cosy places people may know of.
Nice to finally post a message from so far away in Australia!
Cheers,
Mel.

ShaTiki --

I built my tiki bar from the plans in "Pad," and here is a fantastic tip:

If you built exactly per the specifications, a 3' x 6' rollup shade will fit around the exterior of your bar precisely. Just tack or nail it in.

Went to Cost Plus, went to the roll-up shade section, selected a shade of bamboo slats and an interesting pattern.

Top of bar: just get some pressboard crap, cut it into an interesting pattern. I covered mine with green astroturf.

In fact, here's a picture of just the bartop:

Satan's Sin,

Your bar came out fantastic! And thanks for the tip.

Did you have any trouble finding the Sturdi-Brackets? I called Home Depot and they have no clue what I'm talking about in the lumber department. They look like something that might be in the gardern dept. though.

I got my sturdi brackets at Home Depot. Of course they didn't know they had them. The way clerks are these days, you could go into an auto parts store and ask for a spark plug and they'll look at you as if you just dropped down from the moon.

I'm afraid you'll have to go to Home Depot. It's in back, where they keep the lumber and other wood-like stuff.

M
Mojan posted on Thu, Oct 28, 2004 7:10 PM

Hi all..

Im new here.. its a pleasure to be around u all guys exchanging info and experience about tiki and oceanic art.

please accept me as a friend and hopefully i'll share with you what ever i know and see .. because i live at the other side of the world i might have something interesting to share .. ^_^

Mojan -- pull up a seat and set a spell! Welcome.

P
PAPAJ posted on Fri, Oct 29, 2004 2:25 AM

hello from Canada can't wait to dig in to this new world

Greetings to all

I found this site about a month ago and instantly became hooked. I was born in Hawaii and have always live the tropical lifestyle in Florida. Recently I started plans on expanding my house and got sick when the wahine brought home catalogs from Rooms To Go and Bombay Company. I have since enlightened her and hope to expand into the Tiki culture. My plans include a pool/patio, living room and art studio/office. I have already completed my first tiki and have started my second - so check them out and give me some input. Time is a valuable commodity so I will post results when I have some.

Welcome Papa J and Aloha Station. Wow, a new person from Canada and one form South Florida- the Tiki Life knows no boundaries. Welcome.

Welcome Papaj!

Where abouts in Canada are you from? I'm over on the West coast in Victoria.

Have a great time exploring TC!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies