Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,276 replies

On 2004-12-15 18:03, kittenhead wrote:
As for the personal, I'm 31, a bookseller and library school student, with a BA in art history.

I think you might be my CLONE! :o

Greetings from Maine.
We still believe in Tiki in Maine the problem we have is they melt every spring. (Have you ever built a snow Tiki :)

I'm in New Hampshire and it's very cold out!
To get warm, I'm listening to "Favorite Instrumentals from the Islands" on vinyl that I bought at a record store today (actually, the owner gave it to me because he wasn't in the mood to work the credit card machine for a $4. sale!)I also got a ukulele at an antique store for $15. and it holds a tune!

On 2004-12-15 18:20, cynfulcynner wrote:

...cue Twilight Zone music...

Really? I've never had a doppelganger.

-kittenhead

On 2004-12-15 20:59, kittenhead wrote:

On 2004-12-15 18:20, cynfulcynner wrote:

...cue Twilight Zone music...

Really? I've never had a doppelganger.

-kittenhead

kittenhead, I think you're the doppelganger & she's the doppelgangee. :wink:

Well a board for all the noobs to make thier introductions damn fine idea.....

I am Dr. Shocker........I live in beautiful SoCal amongst the palm trees, beach, and sea......I enjoy long walks on the beach.....quiet conversation.....and terrorizing tourist..........any real info wanted just ask

B

Just realized that I never introduced myself on here (D'Oh!).

Another Northeast tikiphile, finally calling the home bar finished (yeah, right).

Attempting to do every room in the house in a different theme (atomic space age 60's living room, tikibar in basement, 50's diner for kitchen, room in the clouds for guest bedroom, etc).

If we ever sell the place, I want to be able to see the looks on people's faces when the home is shown! (If I win the lottery they'll call me eccentric instead of crazy)

Got engaged at the Mai Kai in Feb of this year, and we have a dog & a cat. (Guinness & Harley)

Other likes: Motorcycles, pinball, vid games, cartoons & the usual geek fare.

If anyone is in the area, give a shout. We love to entertain (throw 2 - 3 parties a year) and welcome all to stop by for a few mai tai's and some pinball anytime.

T

Greetings Bargoyle! I also live in the fair state of Corrupticut. I also have an atomic livingroom, and basement tiki lounge. We should get together when time permits.

~ tikigreg

O

Aloha from Hawaii, I am a beginning craver here and have done a few tikis ad found this board out of shear luck. It’s great to have a place where we exchange ideas and picture of or work and other tiki stuff...
Now if I can just figure out how to upload a Picture….

Aloha

Greg

B

Welcome all you noobe's. Blu_shaggy, Kitenhead, FrozenMainTiki, CaptainMorgan, DrShocker, Bargoyle, and Onotiki.
Come on in and stay awhile.
Onotiki, your name is Very similar to our OnaTiki so expect a bit of confusion. For you carvers, head on over to the "Creating Tiki" pages where you will find Lots of time consuming interesting things. Add to it...
Happy Holidays to everyone!

Aloha, I guess I never posted on the official "welcome" thread, so here goes...

New to the forums, been into the tiki stuff for a while, ever since my first trip to the Kahiki, about 12 yrs ago. My collecting is based mostly on the internet (e-bay), since I'm in Ohio. This winter is when the bar will be built, so I'll have before and after pictures to share over the next several months. Here's a little Christmas gift for you all:

[ Edited by: cbjackets on 2004-12-24 11:43 ]

B

Tikigreg,

I'm all for it. What part of the "lovely" nutmeg state are you in?

Mele Kalikimaka

M
Moxie posted on Mon, Dec 27, 2004 2:33 PM

Hellooo!

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to tiki interest in general. I've been watching from afar, and thought I should probably say hey. :)

M
Moki posted on Mon, Dec 27, 2004 2:56 PM

Welcome Moxie,
Glad to have you on board.
:drink:
Moki

Greetings! I am new to this forum but have always loved Tiki's and just only recently got seriously interested in collecting a select few things "Tiki" and would love to hear from others with similar interests(especially women)and collectors. Thanks to "Tiki Tony" and "Mean Gene" whom I have recently communicated with. I also had a chance to see a few good places locally here in San Diego as well as "Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge" in the Gas Lamp Quarter at 5th & "F" street. Over 30 large sized Tiki's and a nice place to meet.(I beleive the Tiki's are by Bosko) Anyway, I am former law enforcement and am currently a licensed private investigator (for any of you out there that wants to locate someone or "spy" on someone legal requests only please)....I really would like to meet a nice lady who is into Tiki's here in San Diego so we can hang out together. I am six foot three into martial arts and love the Tiki scene. Other than that, I am interested in the Tiki Culture. P.S. I got the name "Head Hunter" because I went after "bad guys" and even a few with "badges". I do not discriminate against anyone. LOL, Head Hunter...

Headhunter,

I can relate (wink, wink,nod nod).

I'm also 4'2" with an interest in small mammals. I hope we can toast a wad!

Malno nahiko!

Welcome Head Hunter!

In case you're wondering, you've just been christened by Tiki Bong, something some of us can only hope to aspire to.

Check out the Bali Hai restaurant & investigate all the other tikis on Shelter Island.

What a wonderful welcoming party you had for this new member (misterbarnaby) at the Caliente Tropics Resort in Palm Springs this past New Years Eve weekend......Oh wait, that wasn't for me, was it? It was a fabulous time, anyway. And the weather couldn't have been better.

M
Moki posted on Mon, Jan 3, 2005 5:14 PM

Mr. Barnaby,
Welcome to the fun! It was great meeting you and sharing a table at Ichiban with you & your son.

Look forward to seeing you again and maybe getting in on a little of that Simpson Clue action :wink:

[ Edited by: Moki on 2005-01-03 17:15 ]

Hi, I'm Sassy (Cheryl) from Seattle. Some of the Seattle tiki-files and a few from the S. Cal. or SF may know me. Since I was so inactive on here (I think I only logged on once since the Yahoo days, LOL) my id was no longer active. So, I've just re-registered again, and here I am.

Happy New Year all!

Mahalo,

Sassy

Sassy, if you're interested in finding out about NW area tiki events, you may want to check out this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6400&forum=4&46

It will tell you how to get on the Tiki Central NW Territory mailing list. Welcome aboard!

T

Hola mis amigos

In spirit I am an artist, writer, poet, tiki lover and hedonist. To the world at large I am a mild mannered computer programmer, just a number at that name that's probably located somewhere on your printer. I am stunned and amazed by the talent here. I've been lurking long enough to see appreciate each of you regulars.

Like it says in book of tiki, once someone has seen him (tiki) he is forever haunted in spirit (I paraphrase).

M

Well Said TikiMojo. Welcome aboard!

Aloha,

I'm a new grand member, and I love the site!

Just bought a set of Shag's Tiki Quartet! Hopeing for a low number!

Done the crawl in L.A.--the greatest scene--I've seen!

Mahalo,

Joe

mahalo,

I am a fan of exotica, tiki, Polynesia, Polynesian pop etc. etc. from Munich Germany where I work as a dj for about 15 years now mostly at the atomic café (www.atomic.de). One time in the year I organise the Swing and Sway in Hawaii party with Hawaiian music to dance to. My webside is just at the start:
rock-a-hula.de
(and doesn’t work at the moment to my surprise, but I will fix this soon)
I am also at the exotica list for a long time where I mostly lurk.
nice to meet you all here in cyberspace

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana, lemonsqueezer

WELCOME misterbarnaby, Sassypantsgrrl, tikimojo, lemonsqueezer.
We look forward to YOU enlightening us about some Tiki thoughts that we didn’t know existed someday!
Enjoy Tiki Central!

New member..love the site. Huge fan of anything Tiki, Exotica, Space Age and Atomic. No Tiki bars in my city; but I do remember the old Beachcomber here in downtown Winnipeg years back..I even spent a New Years there in the late 80s. Alas, it too is gone, but not before I was able to score an ultra-cool menu from the cocktail lounge. It remains a treasured piece in my Tiki memorabilia box.

From the looks of things around here, I'm not the only one crazy about Polynesian Tiki culture. I'd hate to think I'm the only one who cares waaaay up here in Canada tho!

I love this stuff. You people are all welcome to come over and spin Esquivel platters and dust off the zombie glasses. I'll even pull out the good rum...NOT the stuff I keep for the buds!!

Hi,
I am a newbie here, and a total novice ( please forgive) I started getting into Tiki only recently ( with exception of ALWAYS adoring Enchanted Tiki Room since I was a youngin) anyways, jumping in head first into Tiki and trying to learn all that I can. Am busy adding tiki to my new home here in Texas too, it is soooo fun!

Hi lemonsqueezer,
at last you arrived here. It’s great to see you here - also great to see you get a website going!!!
You should dj in Berlin this year.

KK

J

Hello Tiki worshippers! My name is Joe. My wife Ilene and I live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida, just minutes away from the Mai Kai restaurant. I have been into collecting tiki for quite some time, but got into it when we were on our honeymoon in Hawaii a few years ago. We are currently in the midst of re-decorating our former guest bedroom into a "Tiki Hideway" nursery for our first child which we are expecting soon. I've been scouring the net for all sorts of tiki items -- and pleasantly stumbled upon this forum. I look forward to conversing with my fellow Tiki worshippers in the coming days, months .... Oh, and if anyone has any tiki tips for items for a nursery, I'll be glad to hear them. -- Joefla70

Aloha and Welcome Everyone!

Blue Pango, you're not the only one who loves tiki wayy up in the north, there are a few other Canadians freezing their okole! I'm over in Victoria.

Stick around, stick around

Thanks for having me aboard the TC.
I am looking forward to discussing good tikis, good food, good drinks, good times and bad Elvis movies with all of you.
If you are wondering about the username, check out old episodes of Rocky and Bullwinkle. The name is corrupted slightly to avoid any copyright infringement and because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Sorry, I will watch the rambling tangents in the future

Aloha! I have been lurking for over a year off and on and finally decided to come out of the woodwork.

I currently live in Marina del Rey, CA on the best street name ever - Bora Bora Way!! I am originally from the Boston area and long for the days of the Aku Aku near Fenway and in Cambridge. I grew up around parental influenced Tiki culture and always loved Polynesian themed Chinese restaurants.

Exploring SoCal Tiki culture is still new to me and I appreciate all the feedback on this forum. I can't wait to add my two cents!!

I was searching for the track listing for an old puck rock compilation on google and found the information on this site in the beyond tiki thread.

I wanted to register and post because I also just built a Tiki Bar on the side of my house.

I grew up in SoCal and now live in Orlando, FL. I am 40 years old and I have a Social D skelly tattoo, and some other punk related ink.

Here is a picture of it (and my wifes sister) under construction, but you can get the idea...

I have not taken any pictures of it finished yet, but now that I have found this site I will be sure to.

Great Site!

[ Edited by: 420greg on 2005-01-20 21:24 ]

Hello Bushwick! don't worry too much about Jay Ward Productions, Mrs. Ward's pretty cool. You can stop in at the Dudley Dooright Emporium & ask her yourself.

Mel, have you checked out the Warehouse in the Marina? It's mostly nautically themed, but there's some Cool Tikiness in there, too.

Greg, are you currently in SD or O-town? We're always glad to have more Tikiphiles here in America's Finest Loose Nuts, and our Florida Ohana are famous for their friendliness. Please post pictures of your Tiki bar & sister-in-law when you're done building them...

On 2005-01-21 07:41, freddiefreelance wrote:
Greg, are you currently in SD or O-town? We're always glad to have more Tikiphiles here in America's Finest Loose Nuts, and our Florida Ohana are famous for their friendliness. Please post pictures of your Tiki bar & sister-in-law when you're done building them...

I am currently in Orlando. The tikibar construction is almost done, but the sister in law still needs lots of work :)

On 2005-01-21 07:41, freddiefreelance wrote:
Mel, have you checked out the Warehouse in the Marina? It's mostly nautically themed, but there's some Cool Tikiness in there, too.

I have been to The Warehouse many times freddie! They have a great weekend brunch. The coolest thing they have is a huge outrigger canoe that is hanging from the rafters that they lower down for the brunch. I have taken many a king crab leg from the canoe! And a Marina view for dinner is always nice :)

M

Aloha Ka'ua - - -

I was so excited to have come across this forum that I called my wife from work and had to tell her about a whole online community that are really into tikis like me. I got my first tiki when I was small kid kine and then was fortunate to have spent my term in The Marine Corps stationed in Kaneohe, HI.

I don't drink and not much into the bars scene but I love the artwork and craftsmanship around them. I anticipate most of my time will be spent in the "Creating Tiki" section of this forum and thought that I would spend a few weeks lurking around. After a day of skimming, I just could not wait to interact and share with this community so here's my first post accompanied by a picture of some of my work:

I'm happy to contribute to this community -

Mahalo - - -

Aloha ManoKoa,

Welcome to Tikiville.

Hey those are some cool tiki's Nice work.

Aloha

ManoKoa, there's some incredible examples of Tikiness in Chicago, Check out Critiki & type in Chicago, Shaumburg, River Grove, or North Riverside into the "Search" bar. There's also a Chinese New Year Party at Chef Shangra-La, North Riverside, Il. And there's Tabu Tiki Night at Trader Vic's, Chicago, too.

DT

Hey everybody.....
Heading back to PS this weekend....gotta get a shag...you know, pick up a painting...

I

Greets ALL!
I'm SO glad I found this hangout! The name is SJN and I'm here in Phoenix, AZ Home to the late great Kon-Tiki Hotel (rip).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I posted some great mug shots over on the Critiki upload site.

In the process of building a Tiki bar lakeside in my back yard. I'll be taking pics along the way and can't wait to share!

Take care all-
SJN

Well, here I am...I had no idea about this place until someone on MySpace told me about it...I'm glad to have found this place, so now I can shoot my mouth off about my budding tiki habit and my goofy collecting...

Aloha! I am thrilled to break away from my husband's identy of Neptune Tiki and begin my own tiki adventure! This is a great website with fantastic people. Warning.....it becomes addicting!

Means Happy Tiki. This place abounds with Mana ! Read about Critiki in the Orange County (CA) Register. LOOOVE it! Big tiki fanatic. ALL things tiki are held in high regard here on the Lanai. Learning: carving my palms into tiki, mixing drinks that will make tiki no remeber, great tiki eats, etc... Will send kala...Big Tiki.

Hi everybody I just got signed up. I am an artist here in frosty Minnesota, we only have 1 tiki bar as far as I know. Anywho my website should be up soon! I would love everyone's feedback as soon as it is!

Made a pretty good first impression with my Parrots and Flammin TikiMoose.Great site and people.Learned not to debate Buffett.You can not win.Thanks for having me.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-11 05:16 ]

Aloha, brothers and sisters! I am new here and, as is the custom, wished to drop a note of introduction.

I am currently on an island in the Indian Ocean, but should be returning home soon. I miss my wife, the kids, our grandkids and our pool.

Our pool is in need of further "Tiki-fication" and I look forward to reading all that everyone else has done to achieve their Tiki dream.

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4276 replies