Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Welcome MontyTiki!

There are some great ideas here, and some great people to boot!

If you're looking to dress up a pool, just have a look at Laney's Treasure chest!

Trader Pup has a great pool, you can see some pictures here

Have a look at the pool pariartspaul did a few years back! Incredible!

M

Aloha ladies and gents,

Been visiting this site for a little bit now and just registered. Good people, good ideas. I'm in the subtropical Tampa Bay area (although it's feeling chilled today), and wife and I are looking to buy a new home soon. We will surely use some ideas from here for our outdoor tiki bar and pool. I'm hoping to mix plenty of tiki, with an occasional pirate reference for good measure. Also hoping that like Tiki Central, mine will be a nice place to lounge at.

Looking forward to seeing you all around.

~mahalo mo

[ Edited by: mahalomo on 2005-02-11 13:42 ]

G

Howdy!

My name's Gwen, and I'm a tikiphile (Hi, Gwen). At least I have been since I was young, growing up with parents who had a tiki-themed patio -- and only a couple miles from the Rosemead Bahooka.

More than a few years later, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and while I've been only a lurker (some might have seen me for the few minutes I spent with my partner at the Trader Vic's portion of last year's Tiki Crawl), I figured I may as well join in the ol' boards here.

Amongst my interest in things tiki, I've been decorating my bathroom (yes, bathroom) with an array of tiki good collected slowly over time. I'll have to post photos, someday.

I'm also a fan of Disneyland, space-age pop, the '64 NY World's Fair, and Ramblers (my daily driver is a '64 Classic 770).

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-11 17:49 ]

H

hello all the way from the tropical paradise of Oklahoma.

http://www.lortondale.com

come visit the neighborhood sometime.

N
nuKKe posted on Sun, Feb 13, 2005 2:42 PM

Aloha!
Thanks to the influence of my mail-art friend Snarkoutgirl and my brother-in-law Kick_the_Reverb, I've been browsing Tiki Central for some time. It's about time I'd officially join the forums :)

Welcome, nuKKe!

Welcome to all the new folks. Astrosurf, what parts of IN you from??

On 2005-02-13 17:07, Dimethios wrote:

The South Bend area. Don't let that fool you; I'm an okay guy.

Where are you from?

Aloha! I am Kahiki Johnny and I am from Akron, Ohio. I was fortunate to go to college in Columbus and I was able to enjoy the grand Kahiki on a weekly basis. I miss it very much! Hope to talk to all of you on Tiki Central!
Mahalo!
Kahiki Johnny

On 2005-02-13 10:48, hoodlum wrote:
hello all the way from the tropical paradise of Oklahoma.

http://www.lortondale.com

come visit the neighborhood sometime.

Aloha hoodlum! I was concieved in Lawton & still have relatives in the OKC area, so I've driven through Tulsa almost 20 times over the years. Do you have any good info about Aloha Taste Of Hawaii restaurant (7133 S Yale Ave), or the Tiki Lounge (4325 E Apache St)? Is there any Tiki left in Tokyo Gardens at 41st and Memorial, besides the old bridge over a stream?

If you get over to OKC could you please check out either of these bars: Sugar's Mai Kai Bar (2106 SW 44th St.), Hawaiian Don's in OKC @ 3837 NW 10th St. There's also 2 restaurants called the Aloha Club (3125 S Bryant Ave), & the Aloha Garden Restaurant & Club (2219 SW 74th St # 105), & there's an apartment complex called Bali Apartments (1120 N Tela Dr).

On 2005-02-13 17:46, astrosurf wrote:

On 2005-02-13 17:07, Dimethios wrote:

The South Bend area. Don't let that fool you; I'm an okay guy.

Where are you from?

Ah, Indiana! Where South Bend's in the North, North Fork's in the East, and French Lick's no where near as much fun as it sounds... :P

Astrosurf, have you been to Lotus Gardens, the last Tiki Bar in Indiana?

On 2005-02-11 17:46, gwenners wrote:
Howdy!

My name's Gwen, and I'm a tikiphile (Hi, Gwen). At least I have been since I was young, growing up with parents who had a tiki-themed patio -- and only a couple miles from the Rosemead Bahooka.

More than a few years later, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and while I've been only a lurker (some might have seen me for the few minutes I spent with my partner at the Trader Vic's portion of last year's Tiki Crawl), I figured I may as well join in the ol' boards here.

Amongst my interest in things tiki, I've been decorating my bathroom (yes, bathroom) with an array of tiki good collected slowly over time. I'll have to post photos, someday.

I'm also a fan of Disneyland, space-age pop, the '64 NY World's Fair, and Ramblers (my daily driver is a '64 Classic 770).

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-11 17:49 ]

Howdy Gwen! The people you meet around here!

Matt Orkin

*On 2005-02-14 07:30, freddiefreelance wrote:*Astrosurf, have you been to Lotus Gardens, the last Tiki Bar in Indiana?

Alas, I have not. I have to go to Trader Vic's in Chicago for my Tiki Fix.

Zoot alors...

H

Aloha everyone, and welcome! Gwenners, I remember you from the SF Crawl. Are you going to make it again this year? I could have sworn I saw you at another event, maybe Exotica or Hukilau in 2003. So glad to see you here, be sure to say hi at the next event!

Hello everyone!

Thought I would finally formally join the site. I am pretty new to tiki and don't get much in tropical Iowa to satisfy my growing tiki fix, so this place has been great. I have been visting the site daily and have been attempting to self educate myself in the ways of tiki. Thanks to everyone and I hope that I can contribute in the future.

Greetings,

Found my way here through Bellybongo. A pleasure to be here! Hope I can contribute to the forums once I learn my way around.

Regards

A

AWESOM-O, is your name a reference to the South Park episode, which was a reference to the Honda Asimo robot?

-Randy

On 2005-02-14 18:37, Humuhumu wrote:
Gwenners, I remember you from the SF Crawl. Are you going to make it again this year? I could have sworn I saw you at another event, maybe Exotica or Hukilau in 2003. So glad to see you here, be sure to say hi at the next event!

First off, colour me shocked that anyone might recall me from the crawl. As I really didn't know anyone, I just took a gander around, then went and ate in the restaurant. If you saw me elsewhere, well, it likely wasn't in these circles.

I am intending to attend the crawl this year, though I'm not 100% sure on that yet. We shall see. I shall strive to say "hi," however.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

Randy-

Yeah, it's a reference to the South Park episode, I'm not a fan, but it makes me laugh everytime I think about how stupid the whole idea was.

DTB

Hey tiki people,I found this site a couple weeks ago and love it.I will post a few of my Tiki's, when i figure out this computer thing. Mahalo, Da tiki boy

B

Warm Welcomes to all you new peeps here. Come on in and grab your tools and make some chips. Most of all have fun and share the pic's. We're glad to have you

Hi, been lurking around here for a while and learning all I can about carving Tikis in the "creating tikis" section. I finally got around to posting a few of my carvings today. So, check em out.
Thanks

S

Welcome aboard PalmHarborTiki. There are seversl of us tikiaholics around the Tampa Bay area. Liked your carvings. I've been working on mine off and on for the last year but have yet to finish.I may have to look you up to get some motivation. Sungod, New Port Richey FL.

T

Hello Everyone. I have been checking out the site for awhile. I have been into Tiki since I was born basically. I have my Parents original Witco tiki bar with stools and large chair that they bought new in 1968. I also have collected other Witco pieces as well. My wife and I live in a 1965 Rancher that is all original down to the appliances. It is all decorated in 50-60s furnishings.

Welcome tikicar. Do you have a vintage '60's car in the garage to go along with the house? I'm a motorhead and I'm always curious about what people are drivin' ESPECIALLY when their name is tikicar.

T

Cars are what I do for a living so I always have different stuff. Currently our old cars in the garage: My wife has a 1971 Karmann Ghia that is a 50,000 mile car all stock. It is a exact car of her first car I bought her several years ago as an anniversary present. I have a 69 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon. 70,000 miles. In process of gathering everything (trim etc) pieces I want before taking it apart for a repaint and new wood. Paint is just old and a few minor dents etc. All stock except tinted windows and Rader Tri Rib wheels to give a good 60s look. Dual exhaust also. I want it to look like a pit wagon at the drags in the late 60s like I remember. I will add a few speed parts from the era. When I build a car I usally don't put anything on it newer than 3 years past the age of the car. I also have a model A and a 24 chevy. that are in the works. The chevy will be built as a old Indy race car style car. The model A will be a Jalopy style running the stock 4 cylinder with speed parts. My cars are built on a budget. I have built several magazine and show winning cars. I am just not into that anymore. I like my stuff to look nice but I drive them. My preferance has always been 50s-60s cars mostly. I really like early super stock drag racing style stuff. I could talk about cars all day. Thanks for asking. Scott

Aloha, Tiki Central Tikians!

Just discovered this lovely little oasis last night, while surfing the web looking for...something else. But the gods knew that I needed Tiki Life initiation! May I be worthy (or something like that). As things Tiki-like are generally far, far away from here (Southwestern Wisconsin), and I've been working 'way too hard for 'way too long -- give me a little time to warm up to the ambiance of this lush, warmer world.

Aloha!

Mme. Tootoo

aloha all! you'll like it here :)
:drink:

Welcome new people (I'm pretty new too) I drive a 1970 Karmann-Ghia in the summer so Tikicars post grabbed my attention.
Karmann-Ghia's are rare up here in NH and I wish cars were my business so I could take better care of it!

T

Yea, My wife only uses her car in the spring and fall. Sometimes during the summer if it isn't real hot. I don't use A/C often so I drive no matter how hot it gets. I just got in a 71 Ghia coupe. It is real rusty and needs a complete exterior restoration. I will sell it as is to someone who wants a project. I only bought it for a few parts on it. It had a perfect original Empi Gt wood steering wheel. And a factory luggage rack. The car is a 80,000 mile car and has a real nice interior except for the dash. My first magazine show car was a 74 Ghia that was featured in VW Trends in 1986. I am going to go look at a 66 single cab drop side VW truck later this week. Scott

An area for tiki lovers good idea for me! I am loving tiki and tikis AND I love all of you! Thank yous to do this tiki area!

ED

aloha. I am dutch Schultz, 30, originally from LB, Ca. I am an electronics technician in the US Navy and now stationed in Lisbon, Portugal. I was the frontman here for a band called the Sand System, until it fell apart last week. i found this site when i was looking for tiki god designs to use as references for the icons of our very expensive flash website, which i am not sure what to do with now... very tropical, very aloha. maybe our flash artist will keep it for his own. i will let you know when it is up and running. aloha.

Aloha Fellow Moai's and Tiki's! I'm Condortiki! The new Moai on the block! I hand carve Moai's out of Cedar, and do some drawing and painting as well. Am currently Designing some Moai stuff that hopefully will sell!

Aloha! Trying to figure this thing out! I hand carve Moai's out of Cedar and am designing some stuff. I draw and paint too.

Aloha, Y'all!

Just joined up after lurking for a couple of weeks; I've already learned quite abit from all of you. Thanks for the great site and for all your how-to's!

Hi there, very new to this forum and new to Tiki in general. I still don't fully understand what the tiki culture is, but all I know is I like the music and I like the style.

Hello all,

I got started on tiki when I visited Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge, had a delicious rum-filled drink, and decided to hang out there for awhile. Now I am buying mugs, listening to exotica, and making my own cocktails at home. Whee!

Welcome all new members!
I'm sure you'll get as much enjoyment out of these forums as I do.

Welcome all! Just reading through and saw the posts from Captin Morgan and Tikicar. Wow.....Karmann-Ghia, that sure brings back some old memories!
My Grandma bought one new in the middle to late 60's ( I'm at work and will have to check the year later)It was a pale yellow one. After a few years She decided to have it painted red. In 1976 I got the car since it was good on gas and my high school was about 20 miles away from our house. I loved that car so much, I had to have my friends push start me a few times back when something or another was wrong with it. After I married, the car was passed to my brother to drive out to highschool and to his band gigs. I still smile when I think of 4 pretty big guys all squished into that car on their way to a show, following behind the truck full equipment. One day one of the guys feet went right through the floor boards in back. Didn't stop us from using the car though, My youngest bro was next in line and he drove it till it was pretty much all rusted away. We even had the motor saved for many years, hoping for a later project. The motor probably went with the farm when my folks sold. I hadn't thought about that in years....good times....

Hello everyone, I've been in love with Exotica, Tiki Culture and Mid-Century America since I was a child, only I didn't realize it until the last ten years! I live, was born and raised in South Florida and have taken for granted so much of the mid-century modern, "Populuxe"-type architecture and landmarks that exist down here in the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area. I've never even been to the legendary "Mai-Kai" restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale! I plan to remedy that bit of insanity in May, when my wife and I celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary.

About me: I'm a big fan of Les Baxter, movie music, Elvis movies (after hating them for years!), Vintage Disney, Jazz, World War II and virtually everything else connected to 1940s-1960s America. I look forward to contributing to the forum and learning from the rest of the fine folks here. BTW, my username comes from the 1954 Burt Lancaster movie, which I've always enjoyed.

[ Edited by: His Majesty O'Keefe on 2005-03-02 10:08 ]

Welcome Aboard Everybody!

Drinks are on me :drink: :drink: :drink:

-Z

Aloha one and all!

Feelin' Zombified, can I get in on one of those drinks?

C
c10 posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2005 9:46 PM

Hello all,

Found this site by accident / Google.
Played bass and ukulele with the Windy City Islanders a couple of times at the Chicago Trader Vic's, waiting for my next Mai Tai from there . . .
Craig http://windycityislanders.com

Welcome c10. I happen to play bass and uke myself. I've only spent a week in Chicago about four years ago for my wife's family reunion. I love the place. This is before I joined Tiki Central and since then I'm itchin' to go back & check out all kinda new places I've been hearin' about. Pull up a stool the mai-tais are on their way.

R
TR

On 2005-02-20 06:24, tikicar wrote:
Cars are what I do for a living so I always have different stuff. Currently our old cars in the garage: My wife has a 1971 Karmann Ghia that is a 50,000 mile car all stock. It is a exact car of her first car I bought her several years ago as an anniversary present. I have a 69 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon. 70,000 miles. In process of gathering everything (trim etc) pieces I want before taking it apart for a repaint and new wood. Paint is just old and a few minor dents etc. All stock except tinted windows and Rader Tri Rib wheels to give a good 60s look. Dual exhaust also. I want it to look like a pit wagon at the drags in the late 60s like I remember. I will add a few speed parts from the era. When I build a car I usally don't put anything on it newer than 3 years past the age of the car. I also have a model A and a 24 chevy. that are in the works. The chevy will be built as a old Indy race car style car. The model A will be a Jalopy style running the stock 4 cylinder with speed parts. My cars are built on a budget. I have built several magazine and show winning cars. I am just not into that anymore. I like my stuff to look nice but I drive them. My preferance has always been 50s-60s cars mostly. I really like early super stock drag racing style stuff. I could talk about cars all day. Thanks for asking. Scott

I too had a "71 Ghia. Brings back memories. In fact bought it new October 1971. I baby'd it,took care of it. It was original and clean. the speedo was going around a 2nd time. One summer evening in 1996 while it was parked in front of my residence as I watched tv. I heard a sudden and horrible crash. I about fell off my couch.I ran outside and saw in dis-belief that my 71 Ghia was now totaled and parked on the sidewalk on 3 wheels. Some very drunk lady had come around the corner sideways in her toyota and crashed into it. That ghia was a fine car and ran just about forever! It was cool though in a couple of days she contacted me and wrote me out a check for $3000.
aloha and enjoy that Ghia!

Aloha, Just found this topic. I've already made a couple of posts and had some excellent help from the TC community. My goals are learn some fabrication techniques as I'm in the middle of building a home tiki bar/room out by my pool and learn to carve (by what will probably be emulation of the many great carvers that make this place there altered home). I love rum (currently own and consume about 50 types), love cooking polynesian food and tiki culture in general. I'm fortunate to travel alot so it makes visiting various tiki Icons do-able and best of all I call Atlanta home (and as such have a Trader Vics I visit frequently). I look forward to hanging out here a while and would enjoy tipping a Mai Tai with all TCers that happen to live or visit in the Atlanta area.

howdy folks.

a somewhat tardy introduction from Tiki A. Moaikingbird, long-time 'listener', first-time 'caller'.

i hail from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Exotica Gateway of the North), and was introduced to this here site by my good buddy Sweet Daddy Tiki (aka kitsch magnet).

i'm a graphic designer by trade, an avid year-round cyclist, and am fond of food, film, Scrabble, scratchy old vinyl LPs, 50s pulp scifi novels, all things TIKI (of course), and other assorted retro geegaws...

[ Edited by: Tiki A. Moaikingbird on 2005-03-08 19:31 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies