Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

B

Welcome vini-tiki-vechi and TikiA.Moaikingbird. Love both those names. Come on in and sit down and pour yerself a few maiTai's and relax and Stay awhile. This is where you can find anything you want to know, to buy, how to make, you name it and you can find it, except for Parrots. JB is not too happy of a subject here.Welcome

Talofa lava, I'm SamoanJoe and i'm looking for anyone out there who may know what was on the menu at Trader Vics in LA in 1973. this is for a play i'm working on and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome SamoanJoe. Somebody here has an answer for you. If you post over in the forum "Tiki Food and Drinks", you'll get more exposure for your question.

Aloha!!

Aloha,

Just joined Tiki Central a couple days ago. I'm from Hawaii ... I play in & co-founded WAITIKI, a Boston-based exotica/tiki ensemble. This is a great board! Glad to see so many people living the life of the tiki extraordinaire.

-Randy a.k.a. WAITIKI's Professah Humming Flowah :)

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah on 2005-03-14 00:49 ]

Welcome Professah Humming Flowah! Does WAITIKI ever make it out to the Midwest, in particular, Minnesota?

On 2005-03-14 07:05, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Welcome Professah Humming Flowah! Does WAITIKI ever make it out to the Midwest, in particular, Minnesota?

Thanks for the welcome, Scott! We haven't made it out to the Midwest yet, but would love to go sometime... (Of course if you visit our website and sign up on our mailing list, you'll be among the first to know!)

-Prof. Humming Flower

I just did!

After viewing the promotional video, I realized how great it would be if our local Tiki bar had some Exotica on the juke box. While I like the punk, I also like the idea of lounging at a Tiki bar. You band would set the right mood. :)

Aloha. I just wanted to wave hello from NYC. I just found this forum after my last visit to Disneyland. I finally get a chance to go alone without my kids and the Enchanted Tiki Room was closed. I had to make due with Pirates of the Carribbean.
I am a beverage scientist who is always concocting drinks with rum, even though the beverages I make aren't supposed to contain rum. For personal consumption they do. Anyone ever hear of vitaminwater? My newest drink is a tropical flavor which reminds me of a Mai Tai. It should be on the market in a few months.
I am a beach fanatic and collect sand from beaches all over the world. My favorites are the Hawaiian beaches. I only own one tiki mug from Disney, but I can't wait to collect a few more.

T

Just joined. For me, it all started with Hawaii Five-O. Although when I watch it now I sometimes find myself rooting for the bad guys. In any case, Jack Lord as McGarrett might merit a massive tiki carving in his honor. As might Jerry Garcia and Ayn Rand, but I digress. I have a whole lot of Exotica and Hawaiiana records, and play a rather strange and unkempt style of guitar myself. There is much talk about "magic" and "powers" connected to pop tiki, and yet I figure, mightn't this really be a fun and colorful way of referring to one's own powers to make wonderful things happen, when ignited by an attitude of joy and a gentle but firm attitude towards the world characterized by questions like, "Why not?" and "Who said?"?

Just joined and wanted to hi!! Thanks much. Great place.

New here. Aloha!

M

My first post. I'm a Tiki "virgin" so please be gentle............

Welcome to TC all ye brethren, Tiki2beach, tropicalguy, Ocean-Tiki, PapeToaTane (WOW, a priest amongst us), and Marcs23. Father Kingsbury, you must've read the book "Hawaii"?

(edited to correct spelling)

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-03-20 14:15 ]

Re: Reading "Hawaii" - oh, yeah .... many years ago. BIG book!! My sainted father was stationed in the South Seas (Guam and Pearl Harbor) during the war. He was "old school tiki", to the core, my old man! Came back from the war riding a 10'6" Dewey Weber surfboard, an old "Indian" motorcycle, and raised me on his very well mixed Mai Tais and Martin Denny music. Named our first boat (a fast little catamaran) - named - yep...."PapeToaTane". Had a cool little Tahitian tiki as a "masthead". While most of my little pals were buying Beatle albums, I was catching Julius Wechter live and tagging along with my uncle to the old Luau in Beverly Hills. And Wan-Q on Pico near Robertson! Great memories. Rotten Mai Tais!! Thanks to all for keeping this alive!

Aloha, and Blessings! :tiki:

AT

Wow a tiki forum CoOl

Hello from switzerland where i leave,
in geneva exactly i am sorry but my english
is very bad, but i am very happy to have discover this forum ,

See you soon.

Al's

http://www.als-tikis.com

Welcome Als Tikis.
PapeToaTane, sounds like you had a very fun interesting childhood.

Have a look around and enjoy all the Aloha!

On 2005-03-20 13:25, PapeToaTane wrote:
Came back from the war riding a 10'6" Dewey Weber surfboard,

Aloha Papetoa!,

I was wondering from which war your father returned, as Dewey Weber didn't make surfboards until 1960.

On 2005-03-20 14:12, Al's tikis wrote:
Wow a tiki forum CoOl

Hello from switzerland where i leave,
in geneva exactly i am sorry but my english
is very bad, but i am very happy to have discover this forum ,

See you soon.

Al's

Hey Al, Welcome!
I dig those Tiki car shifters.

WWII. Good point, though. Actually, I wasn't born until 1957, and the only board of his I ever saw was his giant Weber "log". As a matter of fact, when he died in 1993, I paddled out into icy-cold waters on that very same board (delaminated skag and all!) down in Baja to spread his ashes into the waves he loved so much. I truly dunno which board he brought back from Oahu to be honest. I know that he surfed Malibu (we lived in Venice) when I was a really little guy....I have some old pics somewhere of him holding me up bu the hands while standing on his old Weber board out on the sand near Paradise Cove.

As for me, I never had the desire to surf. Surrounded by surfers my whole life, I just couldn't get the hang of it. I know enough to know that I'm a natural goofy-foot (from my days riding skateboards) - but "good balance" was never my long suit.

I get seasick, too. I was pretty much a disappointment to dad when it came to water sports!

Very nice doing, PTT, to do that for your old man even though you were a non-boarder.

Just last Saturday (a week ago), Martin Denny's daughter had three paddlers bring her out in an outrigger and scattered his ashes beyond the reef.

glad to have found all of you out there in tiki land. im fairly new to this online tiki stuff, but im a long-time lover of the tiki.

Not new here but changed my user ID, Freaky*tiki is now IslandSavage...there were just too many Freaki'n tikis.....

JJ

Greetings to you all,

After seeing many of you at the Tiki Ti in Hollywood, I finally decided to join your fine and friendly group.

I've been a regular at the Tiki Ti for about nine years and like everybody else there, I miss Ray Buhen the founder very much. Fortunately for all of us, his family has taken up the torch and held it high, still mixing some of the finest drinks around.

I invite you all to try a Jim's Special the next time you're there, with a water back. It's a big, dry Mai Tai and a half made with an extra squeeze of fresh lime juice, two ounces of Meyers Jamaican Dark Rum and instead of light rum, 2 1/2 ounces of Casadores Tequila.

Aloha!

Jah Jim

Yay, Jah Jim finally made it! Jim is the smiling face that greets me every Wednesday after work when I finally make it into the enchanted enclave that is Tiki-Ti. Jah Jim has been to Tiki-Ti more times than you have, and he adores Tiki-Ti, but his real passion is reggae & rastafari. He has what is likely one of the world's largest reggae & Haile Selassie archives -- perhaps the largest, I can't say, not being an expert in such things. Welcome to TC, Jah Jim! Jah bless!

Hello everyone.
I have spent time reading the postings on Tiki Central and getting great Tiki tips. I just want to say how awesome this site is and "Howdy!!"
I would love to connect with other Tiki Folks in Arizona and beyond and I hope this is a first step.
I figure I lived in a trailer park called the Kon Tiki for 9 years of my childhood that has to be good for something.

Z

Hi there
New tiki girl Zinfull here. Live in Jackson Calif but will be in San Francisco During the "Crawl" Look forward to meeting up with the bus For some Kewl Drinks.
Zinfull

B

Welcome to TC Zinful. Hope you enjoy the crawl. sorry I won't be there but I'm stuck way over here in South Florida. Come on in and stay awhile.

Welcome to TC zinfull.
I love Jackson and that Old West Saloon at the end of Main St.? I've walked thru a few cemeteries too. Lots of history there. Welcome again.

P

Having had many a laugh reading TC message boards, and married to an EXTREME Tiki collector ( if you can't beat them join them i always say)decided to have my own voice here on TC. Hopefully we will make it to a Tiki event and meet some of you Aloha!

B

Well, Welcome Pa'akiki, to TC, as a full member. Better than lurking around and reading over the spouses shoulder. Come on and relax and stay awhile. We look forward to your entertaining stories and pictures

New Here...Name Is Mike...From South New Jersey...about 10 minutes over the bridge from Philadelphia...travel often to Baltimore, New York City, And Washington...Always been into Tiki only recently have I begun my collection...Hope to meet some of you in my travels...and post here often! Take Care! Mahalo!

M

long-time reader, recent 1st poster. name's monica, live in dallas, tx - have a very small mug collection, mostly repros and munktiki originals at the moment. i paint and am starting to sculpt tikis, in my spare time (which is limited, as i am a new mom!)

M
Moki posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2005 9:38 AM

From one Monica to another, welcome!!

Nice paintings. Looking foward to seeing more.

Aloha,
Moki

J
Jawa posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2005 10:02 AM

Aloha!

Just thought I should say hi, formally...lol. My wife and I have gotten into the whole tiki thing fairly recently..though whole-heartedly!

I think we both just had an epiphany on how we like, and would like, to decorate. It started with the idea that we have an outside bar, then I said "How about a tiki bar?". Several Shag prints, mugs, the Book of Tiki, and hundreds of dollars later...we are addicted! :D

I just want to send a huge thanks out to Tiki Central and all TC'ers that help newbies along in the weird and wonderful world that is TIKI!
:tiki:

Jason Wathey
Tampa, Florida

http://www.wathey.com

[ Edited by: Jawa on 2005-03-28 10:06 ]

By way of introduction...

Aloha! Well, it's nice to finally find a place to call Tiki home.

I'm a child of the culture, (my happiest memories growing up) and it grew into a life long passion for the deep Spiritualy of Hawai'i and her people. But Tiki's.... gotta love 'em!

I've worked for the Walt Disney Co since 1970, strating out at the Park I did my stint for several summer's in the Enchanted Tiki Room and can see by that posting by Tongaroa that I will be needing my employee discount this year!

Many thanks for the hard work that goes into this site, I wish I'd found you long ago!

Aloha!!!
I have discover TC last week and i have registered right now.I am 32, i live in Switzerland and i am crazy about paint. I really like tiki culture and have discovered a lot since i hang around with my friend Big Al.

"Mr. Kool" Kristoph

A

Ainokea here. What can I say that's new? Uhhh... nothing. I like fogcutters, mai tais, and pupu platters, dancing hula girls, and any food or beverage that's meant to be set alight.

B

Big welcome to all you new tikiphiles, TikiMikeNJ, Montiki, Ali'iKi, Kristoph, and ainokea. Thats a bunch. Hope you all find what you are looking for here. There are Many peeps just like yourselves herelooking for that perfect tiki tidbit. Come on in, sit down and stay awhile. Explore our rooms full of treasures.

AT

Re presentation heu.... complet

Ok, my name is Alexandre, 29 years old,i live in geneva Swiss, i have discover the tiki it was just 4 years after buy a cd from
fifty foot combo and directly i have loved the style of this art look a lot of web site (especially " SHAG " i like it!!!)
i am getting to biarritz and for the first time see one carver (philtotem) and buy one phil tiki...
when i coming home (4 years ago)i started to carve in terracotta one shifter learn to make a mould and show to friend the tiki in resin.
after (3 years ago) i have started carving on wood . The tiki is just on passion not a business i have one other work (CAD Desingner)
in a small watch company (HEehe i leave in Swiss(Watch Land)) i make the clasp and the buckle of the watch .
My ride is an old 50' Ford 4 doors

And the next is in the creating tiki...
i think now you know who i am .

See you soon and resorry for my bad english

Al's

J

Al, welcome to TC! I love the car! I too have a 4 door shoebox Ford - mine is a '51. Looking forward to seeing more of your work -the stuff looks great!

J

Here's an attempt at an artsy shot of my Ford, I think I was trying to eat up a roll of film when I took them...

You know...it's pretty sad I've owned the car for 18 years and don't have any good pictures of it!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

Gotta love the shoe box. Glad to see so many new members . Cant wait to see more of your works

M

How utterly charming! Al-you needn't concern yourself with your English. It's quite good and tops mine if I have a few too many rum beverages @;-)

p.s. Welcome to all! How refreshing to see so many new international tikiphiles join this group!!!

On 2005-03-30 14:27, Al's tikis wrote:
Re presentation heu.... complet

Ok, my name is Alexandre, 29 years old,i live in geneva Swiss, i have discover the tiki it was just 4 years after buy a cd from
fifty foot combo and directly i have loved the style of this art look a lot of web site (especially " SHAG " i like it!!!)
i am getting to biarritz and for the first time see one carver (philtotem) and buy one phil tiki...
when i coming home (4 years ago)i started to carve in terracotta one shifter learn to make a mould and show to friend the tiki in resin.
after (3 years ago) i have started carving on wood . The tiki is just on passion not a business i have one other work (CAD Desingner)
in a small watch company (HEehe i leave in Swiss(Watch Land)) i make the clasp and the buckle of the watch .
My ride is an old 50' Ford 4 doors

And the next is in the creating tiki...
i think now you know who i am .

See you soon and resorry for my bad english

Al's

Z
Zuke posted on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 6:59 AM

Greetings!

Long time lurker and finally joining in the discussions, since I finally have something to share. Completed the build on my long planned dream TIKI BAR!

I owe a lot to this board here. Got many of ideas from some of the picture posts. Learned I didn't have to buy my bamboo via a website, but rather right at my local Pier 1 Imports and Hobby Lobby.

I'll post a Thread with pics and details about my Tiki Bar. But of course just wanted to say HI first. I belong to one message board already that I post at quite a bit:

VegasGang

And this place seems about on par with them in the friendly dept.

My vitals:

-36 on April 21st
-Married, no kids (yet)
-Work as a Marketing Mgr/Web Designer
-Lived in the Chicago 'Burbs my entire life

I have lots of close friends and consider myself very social. We plan LOTS of events and are fond of our annual traditions (super bowl, football pools, pub crawls, poker games, golf outings, etc.).

I'm a poker fantatic. Play in many regular games.

Big fan of the "mid-century" look. So, attracted to Tiki of course.

Grew up with parents who played a LOT of swing and jazz and grew up liking it myself and play a lot at home. Massive record collection! But I dig everything from Dixieland jazz to punk, really.

I am also insane about movies. Have a pretty large collection of that too and a pretty nice Home Theater right next to the ole Tiki Bar that I'm pretty proud of too.

So... as you can see, I'm really quiet and shy. :wink:

Questions? Comments? Flames?

I'm off to go post my tiki bar pics....

Greetings and Mahalo to all who love, enjoy, and participate in keeping tiki culture alive! I am a long time aficionado, who has just been too darn lazy or shy to intoduce myself officially to the group until now. . .
ALOHA! I am a recent transpant to LA, originally from San Fransisco. Boy, do I miss those happy hour Mai Tais out on the water at Trader Vic's Emeryville, but I am also really enjoying discovering all Los Angeles has to offer.
As the weekend bartender at the new and fabulous 'Lucky Tiki' in Mission Hills, I have had the pleasure of serving many of you already! I look forward to seeing you again soon, and hope you will come out Sundays to support our exotica and beyond night with SUZY (that's me) and DJ LEE! Be sure to say a big Tiki Central Aloha!

H

Welcome to TC, atomikitty, it's so great to see you here! Folks, you've heard lots of great things about the Lucky Tiki, but the real reason I like to go there is Suzy. She's swell.

H

Atomikitty, it was so nice meeting you on last Sunday, you made the best maitai, Lulu loved her drink also. I will see you there on Sunday again. Welcome to TC.

T

Aloha atomikitty! I'll miss seeing you in the Bay Area but I look forward to seeing you at the Lucky Tiki whenever I go to Los Angeles.

Mahalo for the shake-em-up at the Lucky Tiki last month. I'll probably be back on Sunday May 15th.

Dean

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies