Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

I

Just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself. I am IMQTPI ("I am Cutie Pie"). Known in the Real World as Nancy, and I live in San Jose, CA.

I've been 'lurking' on TikiCentral for months, now, and figured it was about time to come out of the closet!

I enjoy all things Tiki, and have been trying to turn our backyard into a Tacky-Tiki Resort. Some of the ppl from TC who have inspired me (so far!) are Seamus (Tikis by Seamus), Tiki Tony (who I met at the Polynesian Festival in Foster City a coupla weeks ago), and Ono Tiki with the mondo-cool Tiki pad!

Anyway - just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!" Hopefully I'll have something to add to the group!

-Nancy :)

Welcome to TC all ye newbies. Especially minitor and IMQTPI. Both of you being in the Bay area, we are always looking for new people to add to our shortage of tiki freaks here in the Central Valley, uh, I mean Inland Bay area...ahem. We (Drunken Hat, Tikicleen and myself) will be organizing another Hooptylau this year and a Tiki Art show at Minnie's Restaurant. Hope to hear more from you guys and girls.
Aloha!!

IMQTPI - Hey the DMV told me I was the only one that had that vanity plate :P. Oh well, any friend of Seamus, Tony and Ono is a friend o' mine. Pull up a stool IMQTPI. The partie's just begun.

Aloha! I am a long time lurker, polynesian buff. This board is great!

Robin here, in Fort Lauderdale. HELLO TO ALL. I have posted under the drinks forum about a request i have. looking for tiki services to add to my back page of my magazine. need high resolution shots, and info about your service. one entire back page of all things tiki, our circulation is over 100,000. eager to hear from you!!

O

Hi, I'm Mike, Sabina's partner and fiance. Normally I'm in Maryland, but right now I'm the other half of Sabina and Mike's California Coastal Crawl. My handle comes from what we'd use if we were to carve a tiki, since there aren't any palm logs around. :)

K

Hello Everyone. i found Tiki Central by accident while surfing for information on
Tikis. My father started H.I.P. in 1964. Our family moved to Hawaii and he thought it would be a good idea to compete with Coco
Joe's. It has been over 40 years and if anyone is interested in how it all got started please let me know.

B

Big welcomes to Discotiki, oaktiki and Kimoaz. Come on in and be comfortable. we're glad you found us, so stay awhile and tell us all about yerselfs. Iwould REALLY Love to know the H.I.P. history, Kimoaz so Bring it ON..Disco I would love to see your tiki page, I'm just up the road in Port Saint Lucie. Oaktiki, when are you Going to carve your tiki? We are all here to help...

Ohhh, I'd love to know all about H.I.P.Kimo!
Welcome to you you all!

New to some, but an old friend to others...

Hello! I'm Erin, or "cherryjane" as I am primarily known online. Been lurking on the boards this morning after asking Frank (sugarcaddydaddy) to plug some of my auctions and I noticed some familiar names and a lot of common interests/experiences.

Grew up in Southern California my entire life and still live in Orange County. My husband and I were married at Sam's Seafood in August of '03 - perhaps I'll post pictures later, as I'm sure some of you would appreciate them. The entire wedding was done Hawaiian style - I wore a sarong dress made from a vintage pattern, my husband wore a Hollywood style jacket made out of barkcloth.

I have a few newly made tiki, but not a huge collector myself, especially in comparison to others on this board. Quite an extensive body of lingo I need to pick up on!

SweetPea, Matt, Frank, good to see you all! Looking forward to meeting others!

Welcome, cherryjane! Yes, when you get around to it - post a couple pics of the wedding!! Sounds way cool! Aloha!

Hi, new to the forum and am in the middle of a basement re-do, so here for ideas and inspiration! So go ahead, everyone, inspire me!

M

Welcome to Tiki Central TikiChic-i!!! Good to have you here.

On 2005-06-02 18:09, TikiChic-i wrote:
...So go ahead, everyone, inspire me!

Hope this helps:

R

Hey gang! Aloha!
I just joined up and am looking forward to it. Mahalo.

R
rupe33 posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2005 2:13 PM

Greetings...

I've posted a few places here in the last few months but just realized I'd never introduced myself. My (nick)name's Rupe and I'm outside D.C. in Southern Maryland. For 4 years I had the utterly fantastic fortune to live literally within staggering distance of the (late) Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria, VA. The Honolulu was my major intro to tiki culture - owners David and Anna Chan really had a very special place together for over 20 years. Enjoying the various mugs and drinks while celebrating life's victories and mourning its defeats really hooked me. I miss it so very much since its closing in April 2004. A year later the building is still there - a constant irritation to me. The highway project set to demolish it still has not gotten that far yet. It'd be so much easier to move on if the building wasn't physically still present. At least it would stop me from thinking, "We could've had another YEAR at the Honolulu!!!" Local stories when it closed said that David Chan had been Nixon's favorite bartender when he'd been at the DC Trader Vic's, with his Navy Grog being Tricky Dick's potion of choice.

Since my Honolulu indoctrination 5 years ago, there's been some considerable tiki questing going on. Have made it to the Kona Kai in Philly, Taboo Cove in Vegas (RIP), Vera's White Sands in Maryland, Disney's Polynesian, Waikiki Wally's & Otto's Shrunken Head in NYC, Trader Vic's in Atlanta and Tiki Lounge in Pittsburgh. The mug collection is beginning to overflow my display areas, even after adding 2 shelves over the bar itself. Yikes. Oddly, I never did make it over to Politiki - since I've lived here in DC, their status seemed to always be on hold or questionable.

Have been seized by a major tiki rush lately and have taken to hitting the local thrift stores & Value Village to some effect. No major finds, but some average ones keeps you going. I hope very much to make it out to Chicago to explore or a Hukilau event sometime, though this year my other vacations seem to be in conflict with those. :( Although... one of those vacations is taking me right past a couple joints in Massachusetts that I'll be stopping at, including Kowloon! Huzzah!

If anyone - especially in the DC or Baltimore areas - wants to chat and such, feel free to PM me here. These boards have proven an extremely useful place for info - mahalo again to everyone responding to my request for Les Baxter recommendations!
Anyway, hi everyone!

cheers,
Rupe

R

Hey if anyone lives near (or will be visiting the Allentown, PA area just let me know. Also, I am having a luau on the 18th of June for my birthday and all are welcome. Shoot me an e-mail for details.

Thanks, Mach Tiki! I feel inspired already...now where is that Mai Tai...I just had it a minute ago...

T

Aloha all,

I've been posting on Tiki Central for a little while, but I suppose I've never formally introduced myself (how rude of me!)

I've been a Tiki afficinado for well over four years, and I've been compiling an encyclopedia of all things Tiki or remotely tiki at http://www.tikipedia.com. It is still a bit lean, but I am always adding articles.

Carry on Tikiing!
Tikipedia

Hello all...decided to join up after my niece kindly posted photos of a Tiki lamp I made for her. I've been working in glass since 1980 and have always wanted to try making, shall we say, 'different' things. More lamp designs are in process and you can contact me if you are interested in custom glass work. Tiki styles work well in glass; bright (downright lurid) colors, interesting shapes, heavy lines. This is a wonderful website and I'm glad to be on board!

I found it!

As I promised, I'm formally saying hello in the correct thread.

I'm Robin, an artist transplated from S. Cal (Rancho Cucamonga - or Alta Loma for those that have been there more than a few years) to Indiana. I'm not really thrilled with the move, but I've been here a couple of years now, and am surviving.

I sell on ebay as fourcrows and strange-fascination, and am working on a full series of tiki inspired art to approach galleries with later in the fall...I'll post a few pics soon.

I'm thrilled to have found the site..great job...amazing! Like a tropical, tiki, Disney, exotica fix all in one...I salute the greatness!

ok...shutting up...thanks for the nice welcomes on the shout thingy...

And welcome again Fourcrows, looking forward to seeing your tiki stuff.

RD

Hello!

Out from the haze following the NW Tiki Crawl this last weekend I've finally found my way to Tiki Central.

I'm fairly new to Tiki. A love girly drinks, stylish mugs, and distant childhood memories of being a navy brat on Oahu have drawn me into the fold.

It's nice to know there's a place to take my nagging questions regarding long-dead restaurants and what kind of swizzle sticks they had.

Mahalo

aloha! i'm the host of the planet's only all ukulele music radio program. you can stream it on demand (free) on http://www.wnti.org scroll down to the Flaming Ukulele Radio Hour logo.

i'm also a musician and writer.

Hey All...new member...sortof...here.
I joined about a year ago but it's been so long I can't even remember my logon id. Either way, I was just interested then, but now i've managed to gather a small collection of carvings, mugs, etc, and I'm hooked. I'm located in San Antonio, TX, and love it here, although ideally I'd be located on a small island somewhere in the south pacific. C'est la vie, no?

Charlie

W

I have jungle fever. Sudden urge to fill my new house with tikiness. That's why I'm here.

On 2005-06-21 11:27, Fourcrows wrote:
I found it!

As I promised, I'm formally saying hello in the correct thread.

I'm Robin, an artist transplated from S. Cal (Rancho Cucamonga - or Alta Loma for those that have been there more than a few years) to Indiana. I'm not really thrilled with the move, but I've been here a couple of years now, and am surviving.

I sell on ebay as fourcrows and strange-fascination, and am working on a full series of tiki inspired art to approach galleries with later in the fall...I'll post a few pics soon.

I'm thrilled to have found the site..great job...amazing! Like a tropical, tiki, Disney, exotica fix all in one...I salute the greatness!

ok...shutting up...thanks for the nice welcomes on the shout thingy...

Welcome 4Crows! What part of Hoosier land are you stranded in? How close to the Circle City? I have to give my standard Indy Tiki pointer of Lotus Garden, Greenwood, In. Greenwood is just south of 'Nap Town, and Lotus Garden is the closest thing to a real Tiki Bar in the state.

K
Keaka posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 1:14 PM

Aloha,

I'm a new member to Tiki Central. I had Tiki-Fever a while back when I was stationed at Fort Shafter Hawaii (88-92). I thought that I was Tiki-Fever free until last month when I went to the Bahamas. I think powerful Rum drinks and swimming in warm sea water may have caused a relapse--since then I've bought six Hawaiian shirts, stocked a bar for mixing Mai Tais, and been to the library looking for Tiki info. oh yeah I joined Tiki Central. What a great forum!

[i]On 2005-06-22 10:18, freddiefreelance
Welcome 4Crows! What part of Hoosier land are you stranded in? How close to the Circle City? I have to give my standard Indy Tiki pointer of Lotus Garden, Greenwood, In. Greenwood is just south of 'Nap Town, and Lotus Garden is the closest thing to a real Tiki Bar in the state.

Hi Mr. Reverand! I'm in Fort Wayne, and as much as I'd like to say I'm cool enough to know what Circle City and Nap Town are, I have no clue! LOL... that wouldn't be Nappanee would it? Isn't that all Amish? Thanks for the nice welcome...I'm so glad I've found this place...I've been reading all day! You wouldn't know of any galleries with a tropical slant here, would you?

Ok, I'm heading to check out the link...THANK YOU!! :)
Robin

Sorry, I've picked up some Hoosier slang in my dealings with residents of that state: "Circle City" is Indianapolis, 'cause you go 'round it on 465, and also 'cause you go 'round the track at the speedway. "'Nap town" is short for IndiaNAPolis.

Ah, Indiana! Where South Bend is in the North, North Fork is in the East, and French Lick is nowhere near as exciting as it sounds... Being in Fort Wayne you might be closer to Tiki Bowling Lanes, Lancaster, Ohio, or Jade Tiki, Bloomfield Hills, Mi.

Thank you...that all makes sense...I'm already making plans to head down to Indy...hopefully before summers end, have to see this one...I'm waiting on my copy of Tiki Road Trip, which should give me a bit more of a heads up...now I'm going to check out the other links...isn't there anything in Cleveland? I love Cleveland...seems it should just be! I promise I'll give a trip report when I check them out. I really appreciate it!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 8:16 PM

On 2005-06-22 13:14, Keaka wrote:
Aloha,

I thought that I was Tiki-Fever free until last month when I went to the Bahamas.

Keaka - if you think you got tiki-fever, wait till you have been hanging around here for while! It does strange things to you! Good to have you here!

Rum demon - this is the place to ask tiki questions. You can almost bet someone will be able to answer your questions

Uke - good to have you on board. I got a uke from tahiti from my sister in law - very cool.

Tekoteko - love to see some pics of those carvings and mugs you got. Some folks on here have some mighty fine collections too. Unfortuneately, i am not one of them yet...

Webwide - fill that house to the brim dude

Welcome everyone. I must warn you know that this place is strangely addictive. Its a mix of the great people and the cool tiki stuff.

INTRODUCTION:

who would have ever thought that Cleveland, Ohio could actually have a neighborhood Tiki Bar...but..I HAVE BUILT IT and THEY SHALL COME!!! Hi everyone..nice to be here..my name is Kenny Ternovan and you will find my soon to be TIKI CAM up and running!!! If attachments are allowed I will gladly share with you my "what my wife calls" my monstrosity!! Hope to have some great info shared here!!

thanks!!

i think i got it!!

On 2005-06-21 16:40, Rum Demon wrote:
Out from the haze following the NW Tiki Crawl this last weekend I've finally found my way to Tiki Central.

Welcome, Rum Demon! Be sure to go to http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6400&forum=4&46 and get yourself on the Tiki Central NW Territory mailing list. That way you'll get info on all the cool NW happenings. Great to have you aboard!

Hi Everyone! =D

Such a cool site here, I love it! I found out through here that we're getting a Trader Vic's in Dallas, June '06! Can't wait!

I've always loved Tiki and Tropical anything, always. Just a few months ago though, I got "totally" into the Tiki culture after surfing the net for inspiration for my paintings. I happened onto one tiki site, don't remember which one, then kept surfing tiki sites for hours and hours.

Now, I'm working on tiki paintings and have lots of sketches for future tiki paintings.
Should be finishing up a few in the next few days and I'll be sure to post them.

I just started a Tiki community on livejournal and it's already getting great response! Very exciting and lots of fun!

Go to Tiki Island

Greta

[ Edited by: gretanicole on 2005-06-26 16:18 ]

ok here i am the new guy ... so hello all cheers!

W

Try this link for the Tiki Island community on LiveJournal:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/tiki_island/

On 2005-06-26 19:18, PrimeMover wrote:
ok here i am the new guy ... so hello all cheers!

Hey new guy, when did you get into Tiki? =D

Z

Hi Tikis . . .

I am a new member, zinlover, although I am also a cablover, musiclover and always a surflover.

S

Another FNG here...hello to all!

A
Al-ii posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2005 8:56 AM

Aloha,
i used to post as alnshely, from now on I'll post as Al-ii. Shell will post as Shell in the Pacific.
Mahalo,
Al

Aloha tikiphiles! Happy to have landed here. I'm a filmmaker living in Florida, and over the next few months will be producing a documentary on tiki/Polynesian pop culture. I'll likely see some of you around, sipping your Suffering Bastards and Mai Tais...if so, introduce yourself. I'd love to talk with you.

Swankytiki

Hi Swanky*

Welcome to TC! Where about in Florida are you? I am in Sunrise.

• There is a longtime TC member named "Swanky" who may have something to say about your choice of username. I think he has a trademark on the name "Swanky" :o)
TJ

Aloha!

My intro is long overdue. I have been into bachelor pad/exotica music for many years. I have 1000s of records. I've always loved polynesian pop and after visiting the Kahiki for the first time...that was it. I visited again the last week before they closed.

I live in Cincinnati (the same city kitschywoman lives in). There is NO tiki here, until recently. I have had a string of luck like you wouldn't believe. Let's hope it continues.

I am Kahikifying my basement. The bar (which was there when I bought the house) is almost finished. There's never enough time or money.

Tiki Central is the greatest. The people here are very nice. They help each other out whenever they can. It's my new religion!

Mahalo,
Joe

Am I supposta read everybodies messege thing?are we supposta remmber evry bodies name?(bourbon&coke now taking effect)so I'm the new guy,but I did figure out how to insert images.

Hi Joe. I'm in Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona. I wonder if anyone has the name "Tiki" trademarked?

Aloha Everyone,
It's about time I got around to registering. In the past I have posted under Al-ii's previous screen name "alnshely".
Mahalo & Aloha,
Shell in the Pacific

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies