Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

T

@ Jungle Trader - Groovy, thanks for the invite, would really like to meet some other TC'ers. I have a weird work schedule but I'll try to make it and will keep an eye on the events thread.

I'm new to tiki central. I was at an awsome tiki show at the waldorf in vancouver and met a bunch of people that let me know about this site.

R

Hey Megz, It was great to meet you . Hope you will share some of your great work in the creating forum.

Welcome aboard zombie kittie. Great to see you joined TC even after hanging out with us on the weekend.

Cool site ya got going there.

-Andy

Hey zombie kitty, glad to see you've joined TC!
I'd love to see more of your work, and be sure to let us know what is available for purchase. Great site.

welcome zombie kitty! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you a bit more on the weekend! I love your site.. awesome. hopefully I'll see you out and about and we'll get a chance to talk a little more :)

J

D

welcome zombie kitty! i saw you from afar in Vancouver ~ seems we were always on opposite sides of the venues (and if the damned DJ knew how to use the volume control, we could have talked at Waldorf!)

wanted to know more about 100 paintings/100 days.. we'll catch up again soon! come to seattle.

elicia

T

I'm another new member of TikiCentral after catching the "Lushy at the Waldorf" show on Saturday, July 30. Great venue, great show! I also take delivery of a custom tiki bar from Taboo Tiki in a few weeks.

Welcome! we're getting quite the vancouver crowd developing... cough cough annual event!! cough

:)

J

S

ok, I'm new as well. Or, rather, I've been lurking for a while but needed to ask a question, so I signed up today. Swedish tiki affectionado who's been into this kind of stuff for a few years but I don't collect much, I just try to visit tiki bars whenever I travel (and sometimes at home too, of course).

Aloha, Good to have another Euro-tikiphile onboard.

RT

Hi! I've been on TC for about a year as "River Tiki", but was ordained on June 26 so now I'm "Rev. Tiki"! I have a vintage 47 foot cruiser/houseboat on the Mississippi River outside of St. Louis that serves as my Tiki Hut/Tiki Bar. It's stocked with Tiki art from Jamio, Pariarts, Crazy Al and yes, even Target! I just want to say "Hi" to my amazing Tiki family, and thank you for all the advice and sharing of information. I will be starting an internet Tiki church very soon so that Spiritually inclined folks can download Sunday services and listen to them anytime they want! I could use some help with website design and art, so if that's your talent, please PM me! Also, if anyone wants to get married Tiki style, I'm your girl. I perform weddings, baptisms, sacred unions, vow renewals,and memorials. Mahalo! Rev. Tiki

Ahhh yes, my 100 paintings in 100 days. Well the title pretty much explains it, I did 100 paintings in 100 days. It was crazy and I pretty much had no life for about 4 months. I was working a full time job at the same time so I pretty much painted, ate, worked and sometimes slept. I'm currently just finishing up getting all of those 100 paintings up on my site and they will be up really soon. There's a couple tiki and shrunken head paintings. For those of you who saw my buttons you've seen a preview of my paintings. I'm also getting some merch up on my site. When I have it all up I'll post something here to let you know but if you would like to join my mailing list so that you know for sure when my stuff is up just email me at [email protected] and put "join mailing list" in the subject line. It was great meeting all the local van artists, too bad I didnt get a chance to meet all of you, there was just so many freakin people there. I strongly agree about having another tiki event. It would be nice to get enough people to one day soon take over the downstairs of the waldorf! Weeeeehoo!

Oh yeah! More tiki goth! Nice work on spoOK! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Hey everybody ... I just joined recently and already posted my life story here, but it's been pointed out to me that my chosen username was very similar to one of the original TC members, so I'm going with a slightly different one to avoid confusion. Carry on ...

aloha! I´m turbosickboy from Sweden and I´m new on the forum. Found it when i was looking for some tips about bars (building one myself right now)

Welcome to Tiki Central, Zombie Kittie, and thanks for the swell robot button.

B
batty posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 1:11 PM

Hello!

My name is Jeanette and and I have two kiddos. I found this site after trying to find some info on building tiki huts. My DH is building one for the kids as a playhouse. It is almost finished. Waiting on some supplies.

My main hobby is tropical gardening. Throwing some tiki into the mix too.

Here is a picture of the playhouse. Be kind...My DH has worked hard on it. :)

[ Edited by: batty 2005-08-08 13:12 ]

[ Edited by: batty 2005-08-08 13:13 ]

H

Cool! I woulda gone bonkers to have something like that when I was a kid. Look forward to seeing it finished. Welcome to Tiki Central!

DH? Designated hitter?

B
batty posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 2:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

DH= dear husband.

A

Hi! I live in Honolulu and seem to be increasingly involved with tiki culture. One reason I moved to Hawaii was the lure of the tropics, and of course that's a big part of what tiki is all about.
I'm interested in tiki music, tiki collectibles, tiki drinks and everything else tiki.
I recently caught the latest concert by Don Tiki, an amazing group based in Honolulu. They put on a tremendous show with a large cast of musicians, singers and dancers.
There aren't too many tiki places left in Honolulu, unfortunately. La Mariana Sailing Club is a classic, and there's the Tiki Grill and Bar in Waikiki, plus tiki-ish places such as Duke's on Waikiki Beach. Maybe more places will spring up as the tiki revival movement gathers steam. Aloha!

B

Big Welcome Aeyerly to Tiki Central. Come on in and Stay awhile or maybe longer. I think you might fit in here very well, so stay around some more.
You can find everything you are lookin for right here on TC so relax, kick back and chill dude. Join the family , show us what yuo got and we'll show you what we got too.

Hi,
I just joined but I've been reading posts for quite a while.
I'm from Vegas (had a birthday dinner at the Aku Aku once, long, long ago... and visited Don The Beachcomber's at the Sahara as weee lad)... but now I'm in the swamps of Georgia at art school... and yearning for something, anything remotely Tiki-ish.
The next road trip is probably Augusta, to visit the Hale Tiki...

K

On 2005-08-08 21:40, Venusboys3 wrote:
Hi,
I just joined but I've been reading posts for quite a while.
I'm from Vegas (had a birthday dinner at the Aku Aku once, long, long ago... and visited Don The Beachcomber's at the Sahara as weee lad)... but now I'm in the swamps of Georgia at art school... and yearning for something, anything remotely Tiki-ish.
The next road trip is probably Augusta, to visit the Hale Tiki...

K

Cool. Punch Brad for us!! Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Hmmm...
A joke I am not party too?
A suggestion that 'Brad' is liked? Disliked?
Is the Hale Tiki a Stinky Tiki?

K

On 2005-08-08 22:06, Venusboys3 wrote:
Hmmm...
A joke I am not party too?
A suggestion that 'Brad' is liked? Disliked?
Is the Hale Tiki a Stinky Tiki?

K

Benz is kidding, just give Brad a poke in the arm.

Hello,

My name is NeonMartini and I live in Seattle as I have all my life.

I'm new to the forum but not to TIKI! I have been a fan of Tiki and PolyPop since I was 5 or 6 years old. It is only recently that I have become active again in pursuing this passion again after 35 or so years.

I can tell you it makes me very happy to see the Tiki Torch passed to a whole new and enthusiastic generation that truly appreciates what it really means. Mahalo!!

I am old enough to remember The Islander Restaurant here in Seattle, right next to the Ferry Terminal. I can also remember Trader Vic's in the Westin Hotel. The Trader's in Vancouver B.C. is where I had my honeymoon happy hour & Dinner 20+ years ago!

One Tiki Bar that you don't hear about on any book or website (that I have found) is the old Trade Winds. It was in what is now the Pampas Room of El Gaucho. We used to go there for Flaming Zombies (No Limit!) on Friday Happy Hour. The bar was a happening place and I could not get over the smooth painted concrete floors in Aqua..complete with sandy beaches, palm trees and Tikis. Add in the fish nets and floats hanging from the ceiling, with mood lighting and you had a great hideaway. Hard to believe it survived up to the mid 80's.

The good news is..we are getting another Trader Vic's very soon. I will be there on opening night you can bet.

Quick Stats:
Married: Same as above..
Music: Lounge, Exotica/Hawaiian (40s - 70s), Jazz.
Axe: Baritone Uke, Uke.
Drink: Dry Martini, Shaken or stirred, up, olive.
Smoke: Yes, Cigars..
Car: '03 'Yota Corolla LE that is screaming for Tiki-fication!
Boating: Yes.
Traveling: Yes.

Legend said Moai walked by itself.
But how did Moai walk?
I show you my proposal.
http://www.tegakinet.jp/moai.htm

--How I thought of walking moai--
I watched a special feature TV program of Easter Island in January, 2004.
In this program, form of a base part of a moai was not flat, and Professor archeologist Charles love of Wyoming university explained that it was easy to incline forward when a moai stands on the ground.
As for this, there is a description in a homepage of Kontiki Museum.
http://www.museumsnett.no/kon-tiki/Research/Papers/walking_statue.html
Some methods about a movement of a moai are suggested. Particularly,a method of Mulloi and
http://www.museumsnett.no/kon-tiki/Research/Papers/walking/figs/fig1.html
a method of Pavel are famous.
http://www.museumsnett.no/kon-tiki/Research/Papers/walking/figs/fig4.html
However, the nothing can explain that moais are easy to incline forward.

I thought that the base of the moai in TV looked like
a rocking chair, because it curved gently. I thought that moais swung in front and back.
When I was child,I had walking toy that walked over the desk which was inclined.
I thought that moais walked on same principle.
A web site of Michigan university introduces Passive Walk.
This is known as a phenomenon of a limit cycle.
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~artkuo/Passive_Walk/passive_walking.html
I referred to them and repeated an experiment and succeeded in letting a ornament moai to walk.
My father got this moai as a souvenir from his friend who went to Chile of South America for a trip more than 20 years ago.

How? Does the moai which I thought about seem to walk? Would the genuine moai walk in this way?
Please send your opinion.

I'm new to the forum but have been into retro/vintage, tiki, exotica, mid-century modern collecting & culture for ages.

Grew up in Sacramento (home of the now-defunct Zombie Hut where I celebrated my 22nd birthday) and then lived in San Francisco for 10 years (visiting the Tonga Room and Trad'R Sams pretty often). Moved to NYC where I didn't really tiki, but did swing and jive. Now I'm in LA, living 1 block from the world famous Tiki Ti. I'm there alot.

I got back INTO Tiki thru my friend, Dan, from Chicago (a regular at the Hukilau and Chicago tiki events). He gave me a signed copy of Tiki Road Trip, which I love.

I don't really "collect" too much tiki since I'm a middle-aged law studen living on student loans but have recently starting collecting mugs. The whole time I was in Kauai 2 years ago, I kept yelling "tiki!" much to my travel companion's chagrin.

Aloha.

T

Tetsuya Nagai

Unbelievable! I just found your website today or maybe it was yesterday on like page 13 of Google under Moai images. I saw your video and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It looked fake to have stone move on its own. I just like to see video of tikis too. THere aren't many out there. I added a link of your webpage to a ongoing teaKEY art page in the creating section cause I am working on a Moai of my own. And now you are you newest member. What are the chances? Is there a language barrier since you are from Japan??

Interesting idea of walking Moai. A swing idea may work. Ofcousre there are no rubber-bands that big.

Thank you teaKEY.

I have no language barrier at all.
You can post your messages from message page of my web site in English.
http://www.tegakinet.jp/cgi-bin/speevercgi/joyfulnote/joyful.cgi?page=0
In this page some other messages does not display nomaly,
because these messages are in Japanese.

I would like to link your web site.
Please teach me your Home page address.

Tetsuya Nagai

I chaged folowing item to yes.
Send Personal Message notifications via email

T

Hey guys...I love Polynesian stuff in general and Tiki's specifically!

Glad to find this board!

Welcome, TikiFire!!!

H

Welcome, papeToaTane.!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-08-14 02:22 ]

hi all. been doing 'tiki' stuff since '74. surf shops, ska8 shops, & now, highline used import cars....in detroit of all places! i'm looking to buy coco joe's tiki key chains. last ordered stuff from them about 1996 but from what i can gather online, coco joe's is no-mo! anybody have a lead on where i can buy about 200 tiki key chains? thanx, DaTikiman( as I was so be-knighted by Da Bull)

Aloha !!

My name is Elaine and my family started opening Chinese restaurants with a Polynesian decor back in the early 1950's. I was also a big fan of the Trader Vic's restaurants.

Go Hp Louie, Go Hop Louie, Go Hp Louie, Go....
Best lineage ever.

Hello Everyone,
I just came across this website this morning on my day off from work; WOW, there is amazing art and info on this site!! I am pretty new to all things TIKI. My husband is a hot rod/low brow artist and he has recently become interested in Tiki's and using their images in his art. I am quickly becoming addicted myself, that is why I sought out this message board. We are already collecting Tiki Art for our living room. I look forward to being a member of your forum!!
-Tiki-Tingler

M

Welcome aboard Tiki-Tingler!!!

Welcome aboard Tingler , I have been oogling your husbands work over at sketchkult. Glad to see you joined up. Please post some of his work in the creating forum.

So glad to have found this haven of Tiki. I'm looking forward to exploring. If there are any London meets myself and my husband would love to join... xo

Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome. Rodeotiki, what a small world the internet is sometimes!! Glad to hear you have heard of the famous Tingler. I will definitely post some pics for everyone.
-Tiki-Tingler

M

Whoa! A tiki tingler, now that's an idea! (Bad Rachel, very very bad...)

Hey TT, whereabouts in TN are ya? My husband and I are visiting Nashville over Thanksgiving break. We're gonna be houseshopping and trip the light fantastic in good ol' Nashvegas.

Also, welcome to TC...@;-)

Rae

On 2005-08-17 12:59, Tiki-Tingler wrote:
Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome. Rodeotiki, what a small world the internet is sometimes!! Glad to hear you have heard of the famous Tingler. I will definitely post some pics for everyone.
-Tiki-Tingler

We live in Monterey, about an hour east of Nashville. Alot of people get a kick out of our last name "Tingler." It is even funnier when people get it wrong and call me by Tingle or Tingles!! We try to have fun with it. Hope you have fun in Nashville!
-Tiki-Tingler

Welcome Tingler!

Get right over to Creating Tiki and post some of those cool tikis you paint. I know a lot of TCers who'd love to see em!

K

good call sam...tingler your art is great start posting...and welcome...

R

so yeah, i just realized that this thread was here. with all my excitement, i posted an intro on the regular board, but not under this thread. sorry! anyway, my name is Heath and i reside in Indianapolis, Indiana. i've always been interested in all things tiki, but have just, in the past couple of years, started to collect and redesign things in my house etc. to reflect my interest. i belong to the Fraternal Order of Moai and am registered as "freakytiki" on their forums. hope to see many of you at the Hot Rod Hula Hop this weekend in Columbus Ohio. hope i can learn as well as give some pertinent information and have tons of fun here!
thanks!
Heath

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies