Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Hello all. I am a new member from Ontario Canada. I am just getting into TIKI and am changing my Jimmy Buffett/nautical bar in the basement to Jimmy Buffett/TIKI bar... will send some pictures as soon as I figure out how to post them.

S

OOPS!!! lastmango said the B word!!!!

T

Welcome, lastmango! I like the name:
"I ate the last mango in Paris..."
Look fwd. to seeing your tiki bar, etc.
Cool to have more Canadians aboard. Canada is a radical concept to me, as I live in Arizona and find it too cold at times. (I'm the king of somewhere hot...) Anyway, enough about the weather. BTW, one of the funny things I did shortly after joining TC was use the "search" function and search "buffett" and see what's there. There's a lot of entertaining discussion about whether Buffett is tiki, or not, or the Anti-Christ, or whatever else. It's all in fun and one of those things like politics, where you just "agree to disagree" with friends. By the way, I don't recommend resurrecting the topic -- it comes up every few years but for now it think it'll lie still for a while. Best wishes with your project(s). How is availability of "tiki" materials (like bamboo) in Canada?...

thanks for the welcome tropicalguy. We am just starting in TIKI and products are hard to find up here in the North. I use eBay for some stuff and we are making a Tiki Bar sign and a Tiki Mask that will have to due for now. We are actually growing bamboo in the backyard. Hard to believe, but my neighbor has a commercial green house and gave us some hardy bamboo. It has been in for 3 summers and it is now 10ft high and has spread to 3-4 ft across, with canes about 3/4 inch. It dies back in the winter and then it doubles in size every year. We are going to cut in the fall and try to save the bigger canes for the bar.

Hey There,
I am new to TC but I have been lurking for a while, I found TC while doing an image search for TIKI on Google.

I have been working in a Tiki Bar as a bartender for 2 years now.

It is called the Zombie Club, and it's located in Crown Point, Indiana. I told my boss about TC and she is going to get me a digital camera so I can post some pics of the place on here. We are about 40 minutes outside of Chicago in Northwest Indiana.

She has a place in Ft Lauderdale and has attended the Hukilau before, last year was going to be my first Hukilau, but a hurricane came thru that week and we did not wind up making the pilgrimage. So hopefully I will be in attendance.

When I first met my boss I was, and still am, into Coop.
If you are not aware of Coop you can check his work out at http://www.coopstuff.com or http://positiveapeindex.blogspot.com/

But she has since broadened my interest to include a tiki obsession. She got me into collecting tiki mugs, so now I constantly telling her that if we are to be taken seriously as a tiki bar we need our own custom mugs with our name on them.

If you are wondering about the screen name, it is my favorite Munktiki mug which I now drink my VO and 7s from.

I had never had a tropical drink before I worked at the Zombie, but since I am allowed to experiment as I wish, I have come to favor the Mai Tai.

I have been a member of more than a few discussion boards, but (honestly) I have never seen a friendlier one than TC.

I love spending hours looking through the threads here at all of the great images members have posted; I love all the art work in the Creating Tiki Forum, and every cool kitschy item in the Tiki Finds thread. That thread alone gives one a keen eye for tiki when at the second hand bin stores.

One last thing, I was just down to Party City and they have four packs of 12 ounce tiki mugs for five dollars, so I bought eight set to give to friends and infect them with the tiki collecting bug.

H

Welcome, El Bastardo! So glad you're taking the dive & posting. Glad also to hear about your tiki bar and I look forward to seeing some pics, I'll be sure to add it to Critiki. I'll see you at Hukilau!

T
todd posted on Sun, Aug 28, 2005 8:37 PM

Howdy, Tiki Central!

This is a fantastic site. I'm in Dallas and just joined today. Something about tiki is just plain captivating to me - especially the mugs. It also seems that there is some great tiki related art being created. I'm looking forward to seeing what this site has to offer. Take care.

T

Hi Todd, and welcome! You wrote, "something about tiki is just plain captivating to me - especially the mugs" -- well, you sure did find the right place!

I am following your message up with an announcement of my own. I am not a new member -- I posted for a while as "tropicalguy." I have changed my username to "Thomas.""Thomas" has served me well over the years, so I figure why not stick with it. As always, thrilled to be here!

A

Aloha ohana! I'm amiotiki from Greenville, North Carolina. Gonna have to find a tiki bar around here somewhere - wish me luck!

P

On 2005-08-30 17:17, amiotiki wrote:
Aloha ohana! I'm amiotiki from Greenville, North Carolina. Gonna have to find a tiki bar around here somewhere - wish me luck!

Check Locating Tiki, Humuhumu's Critiki and the book Tiki Road Trip.

The Big Bamboo in Hilton Head, SC, may be the closest.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16270&forum=2&vpost=182134&hilite=Carolina

You may have to donate a tiki or two to one of your favorite establishments, to tide you over.

T

On 2005-08-30 17:17, amiotiki wrote:

Aloha Y'all Amiotiki!. Tiki Bob here in Charleston. There was (or still is???) the Hale Tiki in Augusta.

The best way to experience real "Tikidom" is to just schedule yourself to attend the Tiki Oasis in May in Palm Springs and the Hukilau in Ft. Lauderdale in October.

Well come aboard.

Balmy regards,

Tiki Bob

T

Aloha,

I am TikiBabe from London, UK.

Just joined the website and think it is fantastic!

Hello to you all!

TikiBabe

TC

On 2005-09-01 16:00, TikiBabe wrote:
Aloha,

I am TikiBabe from London, UK.

Just joined the website and think it is fantastic!

Hello to you all!

TikiBabe

Aloha TikiBabe & welcome to Tiki Central. Have you been to Trader Vic's and South London Pacific? I lived in the London a few years ago & I really miss the town & those bars.

Make sure to try to meet up w/ some of the other TCers in the UK. They're great people.

Cheers,
Tiki Chris

H
harro posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 4:32 AM

howdy all from down under,

unfortunately I couldn’t come up with a snappy tiki-related user name, so my nickname will have to do!

this is an amazing place full of information, inspiration and plenty of very entertaining (and helpful) people! i've visited a few times now and have already gained invaluable ideas and knowledge - but it might take me years to read and absorb all the info contained here!

thru reading some threads on the Creating Tiki forum i've even been possessed with a notion that i could even carve a tiki of my own!! so now theres 8 fresh big logs in my garage just waiting for a tiki to hop out of their bark skins.

Personally, been into tiki / kustom kulture / vintage / mid-century / old stuff for many years but down here tiki is very much an underground subculture, there are a few likeminded souls around the traps but on the whole you’d get a blank stare if you mentioned “moai” “mai tai” or even “tiki bar” around here. Other interests is old custom cars, playing rock’n’roll and listening to everything from exotica to punk rock to ska to psychobilly.

Luckily I’ve visited some great tiki bars in the states, japan and the UK in my travels in recent years (there is nothing to match the likes of Trader Vics down here), and hope to visit many more in a big trip thru Sth and Nth america (and hopefully Easter Island) next year.

g’day to the other aussies on this board too!
cheers,
harro

G'day Harro! Not everybody here has a Tiki nickname, but if you need one what about TaroHarro? :)

Hello all. I am turtlmunkee - Known in the real world as KG. Glad to be here!

Hiya, as my nick here implies, I am the husband and fellow tiki enthusiast of the creator of the infamously ultra-rare "SchoonTiki" mug (http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7316&forum=5&14). I mainly signed up to provide some more acurate backgound information on that particular piece.

T

Aloha,
I'm Neil from San Francisco. Happy to be here.
I'm shy, so I'll just hang out and watch for awhile.
I love tiki and all things related...
Glad to see like minded people.

Welcome to Tiki Central!! Finally, another TC'er with "Tane" in their name! Hey....maybe you and I can launch a campaign to teach others how to pronounce it!! :lol: Actually - most know - it's just fun to hear the way some folks say it!

Meka Leka Hi everyone
I figured its probably time I put myself out there. Some of you know who I am, But I'm sure most of you have never heard of me. So Im posting a Bio. I'm really bad at the self promotion ,but here goes.
My name is Dawn Frasier, I Live in Seattle and I've been making Tikis since the late 80's. I was one of the fist artists to show work along side Shag and Bosko in the early 90's. My work was shown at the first Exoticon in LA.and later in several group shows in SF and Seattle. Several of my pieces have hung in Luau Polynesian restaurant in Seattle for about 10 years. There is an article about me in an early Tiki News issue. and I'm in the Taboo, Art of Tiki Book. Happy to be getting involved again, Thanks for Listening . Dawn

Aloha and mahalo! I'm Frank Rich, editor of Modern Drunkard Magazine and longtime Tiki aficionado. Looking forward to spending a lot of time on the forum.

M

Welcome Frank! Great to have you here.

MDM is a vital publication, and I've enjoyed it for many years. Thanks for everything.

D

hey Dawn, glad you're joining in our raindeer games! i'll help you to post pictures n stuff, just give me a call, and i'll be there!

elicia

Aloha from exotic Cincinnati Ohio!
Looking forward to chatting with everyone out here. Far as I know, the only real Tiki Bar in Cincinnati is the one in our house! Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mahalo,
Pez and Katie

Ah! Modern Drunkard! A fine publication enjoyed by many of our home Tiki Bar visitors.

TTT

[ Edited by: TikiTikiTavi 2005-09-19 20:22 ]

I have a TC question and did not want to start a new thread to post it.

Since I am a new member I hope it is kosher to post it here.

When ever I come to TC I am asked for my Screenname and Password, although I have checked the "remember me" box.

Is there something else I should be aware of to enable this feature?

Thanks.

T

EB,
Go to Edit Preferences, and make sure "Store my username in a cookie for 1 year.:" is set to Yes.

On 2005-09-20 14:01, tikigreg wrote:
EB,
Go to Edit Preferences, and make sure "Store my username in a cookie for 1 year.:" is set to Yes.

Thanks TG.

O

Hi I'm oohlala. I have come here seeking tiki knowledge and man am I getting an eyeful. I have recently come to know the tiki and am loving reading all the posts. I'll be hanging out in the background mostly but if I have something to add you'll be hearing from me. That's all for now....Happy Hour awaits me.

Aloha Oohlala! Very nice name you have there. (why didn't I think of that?) If there's anything you need to know about TIKI, just ask Tiki Bong...he knows everything, and he'll be the first to tell you. Oh wait, forget it. WELCOME!

T

I'll have to admit... this is the first time I've ever posted on a site as a site member. Living large in LA (Echo Park) and in the process of building a tiki bar in the backyard.

Ciao!

H

Welcome to Tiki Central Tatoo, please keep us informed on the progress of your tiki bar.

T

On 2005-09-24 23:53, Tattoo wrote:
I'll have to admit... this is the first time I've ever posted on a site as a site member. Living large in LA (Echo Park) and in the process of building a tiki bar in the backyard.

Ciao!

Cool! How's the bar coming along? You'll be hard pressed to find a better site if you're building a bar. There's loads of helpful people around, and lots of good information in old threads, so if you have questions on where to get stuff for your bar, just ask!

Hello TC! Am a new member writing from the DC area ... it's great to be here with everyone. Will unfortunately be missing the Hukilau but am anxious to hear all accounts!
Until then ...

P.S. Am also looking for other tiki girls to chat with about retro hair, beauty and fashion topics and to share ideas ... thanks.

TL

Hello - I've been lurking around here off and on for a few years, but have rarely posted. I'm finally jumping on, because I have to share an amazing transformation that has been happening in my home. I've been working with Bamboo Ben to transform my guest bedroom into a Tiki Hideaway, and he has been doing an AMAZING job. He's been working on it for about two weeks, with about one week's worth left. I'll post some pictures to the Creating Tiki forum
Mahalo!!
Tiki Lee

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee 2005-09-28 20:58 ]

Very Cool, TikiLee! Can't wait to see the Pics!

Well, it feels silly to say welcome to someone with a join date before mine, but welcome all the same. I'm excited to see pics of your project, sounds like it's a whopper. A bunch of us Northern California folks are getting together tomorrow night at the Emeryville Trader Vic's & later at the Conga Lounge, come out and join us if you can!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16608&forum=4&12

hey everybody.
joined two weeks ago , shame on me for not saying hallo to everybody.i am from germany which seems to be bad luck based on the presence of tiki!
i love to surf through the collecting tiki forum.
i am deeply impressed by the knowledge of you grand members!
cheers from münster !

C

hey everybody.
joined two weeks ago , shame on me for not saying hallo to everybody.i am from germany which seems to be bad luck based on the presence of tiki!
cheers from münster!

Welcome rainer cruz. Where in Germany are you? We have friends coming to vist tomorrow that live ½ hour east of Dusseldorf.

On 2005-09-29 02:13, rainer cruz wrote:
hey everybody.
cheers from münster !

Well the Tabou Tiki Lounge in Berlin looks pretty cool to me, judging from these pictures:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10046&forum=1&hilite=tabou

of course the tabou tiki is superb!
i love it and everyone else will!
just ment that its hard to find tiki or tiki related stuff on fleamarkets etc.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.