Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

J

Hi Wicked and Kingstiedye! Welcome to TC. Have fun checking out the sight here and by all means jump in and contribute when you can. You probably already know that TC'ers love pics, so if you have a digital camera please post pics of your paintings and collections. You'll find a lot of support here and inspiration.

T

Hey I'm Tikiexpy from Southern California. Just wanting to say hello.

G

Aloha all,

Just got back from the Hukilau, superbueno (awesome)!

While talking to some others at the Mai-Kai I was greatly thrashed for not being a member of Tiki Central, so here I am. Hope you all had as much fun as I did and am looking forward to next year.

Peace and Pineapples,

Geotiki

hi everyone! i'm new here, but a few fort lauderdale/hollywood folks know me (hi Tiki Kiliki, Tikilicious, and Chip & Andy!).

i'm a tiki-texan living in san antonio with my ku`uipo Scott. like everyone else here, we're consumed with lust for all things south seas taboo. i'm also a graphic designer.

aside from our friend Sergio (whose affiliation with I Belli di Waikiki we aren't publicly endorsing -- haha!), we don't have any tikiphiles here in san antonio, so this is a welcome oasis for us. we've been lurking around on here for ages and now it's time to get with it.

aloha `auinala!

I am pritatiki from Bradley, Illinois. I joined tiki central after Benzart carved me and my fiance our wedding bands out of wood. He added tiki gods and they are fabulous. He posted pictures of them on tiki central.

B

Welcome to TC pritatiki. I am happy you came to TC to check us out. Don't be a stranger, if you like tikis and all things related, you have come to the right spot. welcome and thanks for allowing me to carve your Wedding Bands.

MH

Oxoltol!

Me am Mr. Ho from WAITIKI! Play drum and vibes and percussion with exotica band from Boston.

Okonkuluku!

Mistah Ho
http://www.waitiki.com - Exotic Tiki Entertainment from Polynesia and Beyond

P

Welcome, ritual sacrifi.... I mean... uhhhhh... new members.

For some reason I never posted a proper introduction... so here goes nuthin'

!!Aloha!! I am otikiniko! I have great powers of invisibility for when you're not looking I'm probably shooting you (on video of course)! !!Aloha!!

A few of you got "official" introductions at Hukilau 2004, some more of you got to see my video at Hukilau 2005, while even more got to see me scramble around shooting everything from the Mai Kai to the Home Bar Tour at Hukilau 2005. (sorry if managed to bump, step on, climb over, get in front of, etc. etc.) Expect me to be lurking at more and more events!

B

Welcome Otikiniko, hide and snap pix all you want, but now you have to post them all since we Know you're out there hiding somewhere.
We are glad to have you here, so come on in and relax and stay awhile.

Mohalo Benz! (and to all who have been soooo cool thus far)

Altho.. I don't shoot stills, I shoot video, which is harder to post. :o But, I'll keep everyone up to date with the goings on!

FYI: The entire Hukilau was shot on 16:9 180i Hi-Definition video... so, depending on what Kiliki has in mind it'll be a bit more than what you're used to!

DT

Hi - I just found out about tiki central while I was down in the LA are to buy tiki stuff for a new tiki bar I will be opening in Oakland. I have been collecting "island art' for some time and the collection has out grown my basement. I look forward to collecting more stuff for the new bar. Does any one have ideas for artwork and design?

Thanks
Doug Miller

Hi everyone, I joined back in March but haven't posted that much, so I'm re-introducing myself. Glad to be back!

Steven

Do we address you as "your majesty", or "your royal tikiness"?

B

Hey there. I'm Baron. Happy to be here.

B

Welcome DuckTiki. Head on over to "Creating Tiki" and look around for artists that inspire you. You will find Many ideas for decorations and may even find a tiki or ten.

Welcome his magesty Steven, come on in and stay awhile,
You too Baron, we're glad to have you All here in the family.

On 2005-10-14 11:19, joefla70 wrote:
Do we address you as "your majesty", or "your royal tikiness"?

I usually get ignored on message boards! But if you happen to address me, just call me Steven.

Glad to see a Florida neighbor on the forum. We're thisclose to the Mai Kai!

Welcome Steven. Where in Hollywood do you live? I was born and raised in Hollywood (Emerald Hills area). I now live in Sunrise. There are actually several members in and around the South Florida area. I'm sure you'll come to know them if you hang around a while.

[ Edited by: joefla70 2005-10-14 22:07 ]

B

I used to do a lot of carving for JoeDan's Smoke shop on 441 just north of Sterling. I understand they knocked it down to rebuild and the Tribe is giving him a hard time about rebuilding. Spent lots of time down there.

I lived in Sunrise for 15 years. My grandfather just sold the house after living there for forty years. I live in east Hollywood, about 3 miles from the beach. Very close to Stirling Road and Emerald Hills. Glad to "meet" you both!

BTW, my username comes from the 1953 Burt Lancaster film of the same name. On location filming in the South Pacific makes it watchable, as does the great Lancaster.

Steven

K

Aloha to all at Tiki Central. Otto lead me to this site and I am ever so grateful! I was fortunate enough to attend Hukilau 2005 and I am still struggling to return to the daily grind after such an inspired event. The fellowship and fun can not be beat and everyone I met was larger than life. Special thanks to Christy and James T for their outstanding efforts in making it happen. Its great to be around such passionate people. All that along with the realization that after all those tropical drinks I won't be getting scurvy anytime soon. Life is good!

I have visited the Waitiki in downtown Orlando and I agree that it is void of character and in need of an infusion of tiki soul. Anyone else in the Central Florida area want to join me in the quest? Let's pick a date and time to begin the mission. Who's in............................

ALoha! I'm new to tiki central and making a last minute trip to LA this weekend. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

P

Well, Nell, if flying through LAX you can try the Encounter right there at the airport. Interesting, but not tiki. You should stop by the Purple Orchid in El Segundo, anly a couple of miles south of the airport. While in town DEFINITELY go by Tiki Ti. Search Critiki for other places around town, and check the "Events" board for anything happening this weekend (I don't think there is anything happening this weekend).

T

Is this new member introduction? Hi! I'm brand new to this kind of thing, (posting), and don't know if I'm doing this in the right place. I became a Tikiphile just this year,but I am a quick learner.I'm mostly interested in Tiki events in the Los Angeles area;I like Shag, which is how I found out about Tikis;Have a modest mug collection; and built a Tiki bar in my backyard. I'm excited to be here and look forward to getting to know everyone.

ST

Long time tikiphile here. Living in the high and dry part of New Orleans. Don't know purple jade directly though I'm fairly certain that we have a mutual friend. Hoping that the rebuilding of New Orleans will include a decent Tiki Bar.

Welcome, Tikiwmn & St. Tiki!

Tikiwmn - There are a lot of us here in the Los Angeles area and we have parties and go to tiki bars in groups all the time. Just keep checking the Tiki Events thread and don't be afraid to show up at the next event. We're a very welcoming group and your first drink's on me.

St. Tiki - Glad you were in a high-and-dry part of New Orleans. I don't know if we could take much more bad news from that part of the country. It's always great when another long-time tikiphile finds us as well. Are there many more of you out there who aren't already members?

Sabu

Welcome, Tikiwmn & St. Tiki!
(Just what Sabu said)

Hi, Tiki fans!

I'm new here, but not new to posting to online forums, internet news groups, or even such long-ago things like the FidoNet pre-internet network and BBS's. I love all things Tiki and Hawaiian, but I haven't been able to afford to actually take a trip to our 50th state. I greatly enjoy the South Sea Islands atmosphere of the Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World and return there as often as my budget allows. I even co-moderate a Polynesian Resort forum, on the internet at my Disney Echo website. I'm currently still trying to cope with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita in New Orleans -- my workplace is still off limits to me and my fellow staff members while demolition of its first floor and cleaning takes place, before rebuilding begins following the devastating flooding it received months ago. In the meantime I'm working out of my house (which thankfully only had minor damage -- even the palm trees survived, surprisingly!) creating graphics until all of us can return to our New Orleans workplace. I'm glad I found Tiki Central because it helps me remember the fun times and take my mind off what's around me.

I'm happy to be a part of your Tiki community!

Aloha RichKoster, sorry to hear of another Hurricane victim.
Hopefully Tc and a few Mai Tai's will help sooth away the blues.

T

Maholo Everyone. I feel welcome already! I will be checking out the Tiki Events, and hope to meet you all at some event. I do know about Tiki Art Two, Nov 5, at La Luz in LA. I will be there, been planning it since I heard about it.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who suffered at the hands of Mother Nature.

WM

Aloha to all!
My name is wee mama, the famous sister of finkdaddy. Getting to know the world of Tiki. Looking forward to exploring the site. It would make my brother very happy!

:blush:

Welcome to TC all new members. Fix yourself a cool Mai Tai and let's hear your stories.

Alright, aloha wee mamma! Make sure you stay a while and get involved. :wink: Look forward to talking to you.

WOW....THE SISTER OF THE FAMOUS FINKDADDY....WELCOME...
AND WELCOME TO EVERYONE....ANY OTHER TIKI SIBLINGS OUT THERE
FINKDADDY?

Aloha Tiki Central. New guy here from San Bernardino, CA. I like what I see on this board and am looking forward to joining in the fun. I've been into Hawaiiana for a while, but only fairly recently got hooked on tiki. I have attended several events with my girlfriend within the past couple years, like Mondo Lounge, It's All About the TIki, Tiki Oasis, and the L.B. Tiki Beach Festival. I am a bit stumped as to what else to add here....so I think I'll just share some pics in another post so you all can see what I'm about.

Oh and we're leaving on Friday for Oahu & Kuaui for 10 days!!

Berdoo John

[ Edited by: Berdoo John 2005-10-30 22:26 ]

D

Hello everyone! I'm Garey and I'm recently retired from my job due to an injury,,,,but now I have lots of time to research stuff. I live between Houston and Galveston; a bit too close to the water it seems these days. I fled Hurricane Rita and ended up directly in her path! I love excitement.

I've been trying to learn about a Tiki I was given about 28 years ago, after helping a girl that got stranded here on her vacation. I'm going to post some pics of it after I read a while to see if I can learn more about it,,,without asking a dumb or obvious question.

This site is neat!

Aloha and welcome, all! Delzo, don't worry about asking any obvious questions -- there was a time for all of us here when we knew less about tiki than you probably do now, so you're in good company. As a matter of fact, there are always new folks on TC, so you're probably not the only one wondering. As long as you ask nicely, someone will lend a hand. Try posting your tiki in Collecting Tiki, and be sure to include a picture. Instructions for that are here: http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

On 2005-10-27 09:09, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Aloha RichKoster, sorry to hear of another Hurricane victim.
Hopefully Tc and a few Mai Tai's will help sooth away the blues.

Mahalo, Kon-Hemsby!

Is it okay if I substitute some Lapu Lapu's instead? They're my favorite.

J

Greetings, in the name of all that is tropical! I am a new member and am glad I found this forum.

On 2005-10-31 11:36, delzo wrote:
I'm going to post some pics of it after I read a while to see if I can learn more about it,,,without asking a dumb or obvious question.

delzo, I second Humuhumu's response. Don't worry about whether your questions are dumb or obvious. I have discovered that there are many fine people at TC that are willing to answer questions or politely point you to the answers.

On 2005-11-01 15:26, Jatamar wrote:
Greetings, in the name of all that is tropical! I am a new member and am glad I found this forum.

Welcome Jatamar. I'm glad you found this forum and I hope that you will find something of value here. I certainly have!

Hi,I'm Tiki Joe owner&operator of Tiki Joe's Woodcarvings in N. Myrtle Beach, SC! Feel free to drop by the website http://www.tiki-joe.com or send an email!
Thanks,
Tiki Joe

L
Loki posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2005 8:35 PM

Greetings all. So glad to have found this wonderful forum. Last year my wife and I visited New Zealand for our honeymoon and fell in love with the Maori. Thus my intrest in Tiki.

After Hurricane Wilma hit us a few weeks ago, we have lots of palmwood and we wanted to start carving tikis from some of our felled trees...let them live on...

Looking forward to learning and chatting with you.

[ Edited by: Loki 2005-11-10 06:57 ]

D
dSTAR posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 11:06 PM

Hi,

Just swingin by to say a quick hello to the mods and regulars...

Declan

G

Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking unregistered for awhile now. After months of daydreaming about it, I finally made the decision to build my own basement Tiki bar and I figured registering on the boards was the first logical step towards getting my ass in gear and making it happen. See, I’m obnoxiously lazy so now it’s like I’ve got a whole community to answer to if I put it off (well….besides my family and friends who are already expecting Thanksgiving and Christmas Luaus).

While the Enchanted Tiki Room was my favorite thing about my trip to Disneyland when I was 6 and Benihana’s PuPu Platter was about all I could talk about the year I was 8, I wasn’t completely seduced by the Tiki gods until about 7 years ago. King Kini hosted Club Velvet every Saturday night at The Front in Northeast Minneapolis and I lived stumbling distance away. When Kini was ousted (for reasons unknown), I swore I’d have my own Tiki lounge someday.

Three months ago we bought our first house – with a bar in the basement. (Whoo!) I’m finally able to make my pineapple-sweetened dream a reality. =)

C

Welcome Grenadine. I too will be adding a tiki bar in my house. Not til next year tho. Look forward to hearing about & seeing yours getting done. I hope you have a digital camera! You will be expected to post pictures. Good luck.

S

Hello!
I'm a new member, actually I found TC about 2 years ago when I was looking for a coconut chicken/shrimp recipe. I found one here and it was damb good!
I love hawaiian fashions and hawaiian fabric prints like many of you here.

I met a few of you at the Tiki Oasis this year. Hope to talk to you soon!!

T

Howdy Tiki Folk!

Well the Tiki bug bit, and the infection appears uncurable, so there's little left for me but to dive in deep and this seems the place to do it.

I'm TofuJoe (tofu because I'm a veggie, yep, a tiki-veggie, and Joe because my name is Scott).

My wife (wahine?) and I caught the bug at Tiki Oasis last year and we have since embarked on creating our own backyard tiki retreat (complete with a bocce court, yep, tiki-bocce) in scenic Oakland, CA.

We did come out to one of the Bay Area lost thursdays (the first one?) then kind of dissapeared into our busy life doldrums. Just last weekend we found ourselves at the Tiki Terrace in chicago and remembered how much we love the tiki scene and the people in it.

I have lots of scattered tiki interests and I'll try to find the right place to post about them.

So...hello...and this time I'll try to stay active!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies