Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Aloha apau!

After shamelessly taking advantage of the vast knowledge & resources of the Tiki Forums for ages, I've finally made it official and registered. Thanks to everyone for the (many) hours of inspiration you've provided in these endless threads. It's a beautiful thing to behold!

I live in San Diego & look forward to reading/posting here more often and joining in some of the fun in person at Tiki Oasis!

-Amy

M
Moki posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 7:14 PM

Welcome Bamalamalu!! Another San Diegan added to the ranks. Hope to meet you at Tiki Oasis.
Aloha!!

Aloha and welcome Amy! We'll have to organize a SD TC Mai Tai night at the Bali Hai some time soon. There are so many of us here.

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's nice to know there are lots of you in the neighborhood!

Just wanted to say hello. My name is Pete and i've been lurking for the past week and all I have to say is wow!
This place is where I belong. I live in Tucson so hopefully get to meet a bunch of you at the grand-reopening
at Kon-Tiki in april.

Aloha everyone. I've been here, but have had computer problems since. I just wanted to say hello again, and let you all know I really enjoy this site and plan to visit often.

[ Edited by: Tiki Carol 2006-03-27 20:58 ]

M

Aloha everybody! I will go read around here there is so much content! Please forgive me if I make weird sentences sometimes, it's just that english is not my primary language. :)

H

Aloha dryheattiki, Tiki Carol, and marika. Welcome to TC stay, brouse and enjoy. marika I also am "language challenged"(just a joke!) :) so I understand. This is a very friendly place, you will feel at home in no time.

T

Hi, a creatively-spelled "Tiki Geek" here. DWM, born in '55, lived 90-some percent of my life here in MI.
Have always found Tiki FUN but just got "serious" about it last year. I have a small "collection" so far,
a few "new" things and a few things off of eBay (no mugs yet, other than a "carved" set of coffee mug-
style ones) but I will probably start collecting some mugs soon. DO have a "new" volcano bowl though.

T

Greetings Tiki-people:
Yet another long-time lurker becoming legitimate!
My interest in Tiki began when I ripped out our old hot tub from our deck and stepped back to take a look. For some reason unbeknownst to be, the remaining structure just said, "Tiki Bar", and off I went. Am attaching pictures of by Pariarts sign and my beloved tiki bar, which unfortunately has gone away since we moved this past September. However, my new adventure is to set it up again somehow at our new home, hence my renewed interest in Tiki Central. Our new home suffers under the iron fist of a Homeowners Association, and we will soon be testing their limits with grass roofs, tiki torches, and Martin Denny.
Recent road trips have included the Alibi in Portland, OR (a motorcycle trip!) last September, Trader Vics Emeryville in January, and the Kon Tiki in Tucson just last month (would love to be there on 4/22 but I have Don Rickles tickets here at the Nugget) - which of course is home to Trader Dicks. It's a tad corporate but I'm darn glad we have it here.

TikiReno

RB

Welcome, TikiReno! Love what you did with the deck...we do something similar with our deck during the summer here in Portland.

Will be in Reno at the end of June (daughters playing in the big weeklong volleyball tournament there), and we're staying at the Nugget. My goal is to hit Trader Dick's once a day and come away with a souvenir mug or bowl. And after watching volleyball all day long, I'll need it!

Welcome new members!

Please post a little about yourself here.

151 posted on Wed, Apr 5, 2006 10:12 PM

Hello, I'm a new member from Santa Monica. I've been obsessed with tiki for quite some time and I will be soon remodeling my home to include a new tiki lounge with fire and water features. I'm very excited and I can hardly contain myself. This will keep me from having to hang out at the bar at Trader Vic's or the Tiki Ti quite so often. I'm a fixture at the Enchanted Tiki Room... the drive is only an hour. Anway, this website kicks a*s and I'm thrilled to see there are so many tiki lovers doin' it right!

I be LanlubbignRod and I be into all things related to the sea. T'when it comes to Tiki, I be a huge fan of Tiki Tacky. Nothing modern tastless tacky, but the original tacky of Southern California fore I t'was born and sprouted up in Cerritos (Old foogeys may say "Dairy Valley"). Now I hail from the Frisco Bay.

Aloha!

Welcome to Tiki Central 151 and Landlubber!

151, I'd love to see some pictures when you start work on your home space, it sounds like you have something fantastic in mind.

landlubber, I too love the nautical aspect of tiki, bring on the port & starboard lights, ship's wheel & masthead! Raise the jib! It's time to pour a mai tai.

Hello everyone! tiki has taunted me for years, just this past week i turned 21 and now nothing in the city of L.A. is off limits to me. years ago i was riding my bicycle around my neighborhood and i found myself standing infront of the tonga hut in north hollywood california. i parked the schwinn and stepped inside- of course they chased me out but the taste of the islands has been with me for years now. ive been going to the tonga hut for a few days now and i really want to try something else. im thinking of taking my gal to trader vics and tiki-ti. i cant wait to see what other great places might be around me.

danny

Welcome, Lobsterboyx! Do you represent a mathamatical formula (i.e., Lobsterboy at Lobsterboy(X)), or have you given up your name to become the unknown quantity?

The Tonga Room has recently come under new ownership, I'm certain that they'd be happy to have you park your Schwinn outside and come in for a Mai Tai.

It kinda meant lobsterboy stops here X, however not too many people understand that. as far as the tonga hut goes, i love the place and and ive been going more than once a week. instead of my schwinn, i believe it would be much more fitting to park my cadillac outside:

nevermind that kona bike...

since the bar opened in 58.

Ive already found the thread about all the diffrent places in los angeles to visit, and ive been to quite a few of the restraunts already, however, id love some coaching on some of the better places around here. thanks again

Hello everyone...I just found this site and I am loving it! I have been a tiki fan forever! Unfortunately I don't have enough room to have a tiki bar at my house, but a buddy and I designed and built a full size tiki bar that folds up and fits in the trunk of your car! It has been great for parties and tailgates! I look forward to speaking with everyone!

J

Hello.

I don't know much about tiki's. But I am a woodcarver. Mainly I'm interested in Whitco Woodcarved Art. I did a search on google which brought me to here. He carved Tiki's and bars and other unique items. Does anybody know anything him? Is he still alive?

On 2006-04-10 09:43, lobsterboyx wrote:
It kinda meant lobsterboy stops here X, however not too many people understand that. as far as the tonga hut goes, i love the place and and ive been going more than once a week. instead of my schwinn, i believe it would be much more fitting to park my cadillac outside:

nevermind that kona bike...

since the bar opened in 58.

Ive already found the thread about all the diffrent places in los angeles to visit, and ive been to quite a few of the restraunts already, however, id love some coaching on some of the better places around here. thanks again

So you're the Harry Truman of Lobsterboys, eh? Good to know. :)

As to hints about where to eat & drink in the Valley, have you tried critiki's Globe Browser? You can choose "Open Locations only," zoom into LA, find the Tonga Hut, and you can see what's nearby. After double-clicking the place you're interested in you can select "Critiki Map" and see street directions to & from there, or between 2 Tiki bars to start your own one Lobsterboy bar crawl. :)

The lovely Ms. Humuhumu also has the Humu Kon Tiki Blog with news & views on happenings in the Tiki world, and is a good place to find out about openings & events (like that the Lucky Tiki's moving to North Hollywood in October).

And then there's always Konakai.com (featuring Taboo!) for listings of Tiki Bars, Cocktails & Culture around the world.

[edit]Has anyone else noticed that the new members on this page read like a Tiki math formula, or have I been running on good intentions and caffine for too long? 151, lobsterboyx, sutherland_a... :wink:

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-04-11 07:30 ]

B

I'm a new member from Maryland (just outside Washington, DC). I've been entranced by Tiki art for several years now, and though I'm currently in an apartment (a very crowded one), I eventually plan to build a Tiki Bar in the basement of our future house. For now, I must console myself by looking for good Tiki bars when I'm traveling, since DC no longer seems to have one.

[ Edited by: mboszko 2006-04-12 16:16 ]

I'm a tiki-lover in the frigid Northeastern USA :) I've noticed some fellow New Englanders on here, which is nice.
I make my family stop at anyplace with a thatched roof just to see if it's something worth checking out! The Bali Hai, Mon Kou, Kowloon, and Hu Ke Lau are the only local places I've explored so far. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears!

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right so please forgive me if this shows up as a reply to someone's intro post.

I live in Alameda and I'm totally thrilled that Forbidden Island is joining our little community. I run Retro Diva (www.retrodiva.com), which is both an online store and a physical store. I sell alternative clothing as well as vintage clothing and for as long as I can remember I have had a LOVE of all things tiki.

We have a tiki room in our house that's a work in progress. It's mostly a way for me to show off my mug collection and have a place to house all my reptiles. :o) In fact I met Mr. Thrill Ville himself while we were both shopping the WES for tiki items and furniture for our respective tiki rooms.

Talk about 6 degrees of separation, we found out that his wife bought a leopard coat from my shop and he lives next to Babydoe and Otto, who are friends with my boyfriend (The Vicar of Liquor), but they might know him as Gary.

Hope to see many of you at the opening for Forbidden Island I'm certainly trying to pump up the crowd's enthusiasm for it.

Hey everyone! I'm a 16 year old from the great state of Michigan who has always wanted to go to Easter Island! Unfortunately, with money being as big of a problem as it is, I may never be able to go.

I've got a strong sense of how to live the hell out of life and I feel that it's my responsibility to share this knowledge with others, so I invented the Fortune Tiki. I give these little guys out to anyone who comes to me just to talk. It really seems to brighten up their day. I'll post the details on in the creation subforum, so expect to see something there about it. I just have to go take some pictures first. Later!

Aloha Chad and welcome to Tiki Central! Your Fortune Tiki sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the pics. Hang out a while, I think you'll enjoy it.

Okie Dokie IS this where I make an Intro Post?:) Well, obviously found this place like most folks, trying to figure out how to build my first tiki bar. I have bunches of bamboo growing in the backyard and said what the hey! So my main question is.. Whats the best covering to use on the bamboo? I mean like polyuerethan, varnish etc etc.. and how long should I dry the bamboo for? like til its crispy brown colored? lol Any Help would be much appreciated..And I read the other forums on how to build, I have already spent many nights with mixed drinks thinking bout it:) And already have half the decorations for it. Well then i am off for now , hope to hear something soon, and is ok to use my email address, [email protected]

Well then, this must be the place for first postings,eh? My name is Captain Trousers and I came accross this forum after searching high and low for a solution to my specific tiki related problem. I recently bought a '97 GMC ambulance. I want to convert the interior to a Tiki themed digital image retouching studio. SPecifically, I want to cover the existing formica/ melamine with a suitably tiki themed vinyl material. I thought of vinyl as it will adhere easily to the plastic, it comes off well eventually and is easy to clean. Does anyone out there know where I could find some suitable bamboo or weave patterned self adhesive vinyl?
mahalo in advance,

Capt. T

I'm a new member from Gilbert AZ with a long-standing allegiance to all things tiki...would like to converse with like-minded carvers & crafters of Polynesiana, as well as artists who maybe NEXT YEAR would like to go in on a booth for Oasis & similar situated fests. I kinda crapped out this year plus stuff I was gonna exhibit got sold spontaneously & left me high & dry for product--at least large stuff. A lot of what I do is smaller & print oriented so to get a whole booth would be kinda INSANE---not to mention way too late now. Still hope to attend a night or 2 this year...short (4 hr) drive from my digs.

Hi ya ! New Member here ... thought I'd share the home tiki bar , we are dreaming of a Hawaiian getaway and hope to find lots of good tips here for finding the swanky old school digs when we get there ! My two favorite Tiki bars int he world are the TIKI in Modesto and the Tokyo Gardens in Fresno. (yeah, i gotta get out more !)We sell vintage clothing on line and in a shop in Santa Rosa California . ( I thought you could post pics but guess not....)
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/0/7/0/1/5/webimg/9836001_o.jpg

Welcome to TC all. Mosey on around in the different forums and I'm sure you'll have some answers to your questions. Have fun!

As for the question about bamboo, I don't think you need to put anything on it.

Jungle

Hello,I'm a new member from St. Louis MO. I'm a tattoo artist by trade and I do a little carving,watercolor painting, and I build mini tiki bars.Love the site.I've already learned so much from it and hope I can contribute in the future.

I haven't found much tiki in my area here.I do hit the swap meets and flea markets as much as I can and would like to hear from other members in the area.

Thanx,
Donny

M

Hi all...while surfing(I WISH it was the other kind!)the net, I found this site...very helpful and informative, to say the least...we are in the process of decorating our backyard...and trying to find good sources for Tiki statues, masks, etc...you get the idea...if anyone has ideas, please let me know! Thanks

Hi. New guy here. I am with a new company called Sandwich Islands Distilling. We are located on Maui and are just starting to make Okolehao. Our brand name is Nine Islands Okolehao. As our production gets ramped up, we will be interested in getting ideas for drink recipes and events from all the Tiki Room members. We hope to be in the market by August. Look forward to chatting with you all.
Roy

Hey Roy OkolehauGuy!
Y'all gonna make gorgeous tiki shaped bottles like in the old days?
Tell your gang we want 'em!

Welcome to TC, all you new folks.

Can't vouch for being able to find melanine coverings here, but as far as ideas for fixing up your tiki bar, you betcha this is the place!

Formikahini

Hello everyone! Aloha!!! Heading for Oahu in a few weeks. Anyone else going or live there?

CL

Okay after years of lurking behind Mai Tai, I'm officially posting. I've thrown myself into this full face forward. So a little about me. My love of many things Polynesian goes quite deep. Surprise for some of you, I do know how to hula dance. I took lessons for years as a child. You see, I not only grew up on an island, but my mother and grandfather had a love of all things Hawaiian and Polynesian. And you only thought I was into to this because of Mai Tai :wink:

In fact, my grandfather lived in Hawaii for a number of years in the late '30's and brought back many pictures, artifacts, stories about Hawaii, and the 'Ohana spirit. My mother hula danced and played ukulele (yes, traditional Hawaiian songs) and tried to teach us. Unfortunately, I have no talent or ability to sing or play ukulele. Wish I did. I simply appreciate and enjoy it in others.

I grew up in a household that regularly played Hawaiian vinyls, among other things. My upbringing instilled in me a love of the beach, music, and Polynesian culture, 60's beach movies, and music. And yes, we grew up with grass cloth on the walls, shell decorations, and shag carpet like most CA families of the '70's. Being quite visual, I've always loved love with the funky colors and patterns that go along with Tiki. So here I am posting. For those of you who already know me, you'll see more posts. For those I haven't met, I look forward to chatting. Mahalo.

M

Coco Loco is zazz! :)

H

Yay! Glad to see you chiming in, Coco Loco.

T

Hi - doing this backwards as I already posted. Sorry! I was tikisuz on the old yahoo thingy - not sure if I ever uttered/typed a word before it vanished though. I have been slowly (with ever increasing speed ...) collecting tiki over the years. A coconut Trader Vics mug at the Salvation army here, Grandma's old big tiki kitchen spoon & fork wall set there....They just seem to find me. Can't be helped.

I have a big tiki scavenger hunt party every year (well, since 2000) on the westside here in LA.

A tiki/rattan bar and 3 stools found me recently, (for free!! on the curb!!!!) so I am finally setting up a proper tiki bar now. I do need help finding some hawaiian bar stool cushions, so any help there would be rewarded with a mai tai for you LA folks...

Went to many a tiki bar here and there, drank underage at a wonderful one called "Joy Island" in Bayside Queens - anyone else remember it/drink there?? Does it still exist?

TikiTi and Trader Vics fan and frequent patron - of course.

Fave drink - Ray's mistake (so hard to order anything else once you've had it)

Just went to OA this past weekend to pick up a few lil tikis and ogle the large poles that I am too poor to purchase (someday...). I have been several times over the years now - got into a great long conversation with Bob after he found out that I am a TikiTi fan/patron. He showed me some great pics of the clan from TikiTi's visit out to OA .
I had spoken with Leroy on previous visits (and spied on him working in the workshop - damn cool!)so I am a happy tiki geek now, as they are to me what Frank and Ollie are to the animation/Disney geeks. Bob lit up when I said that I have the Luau S&P shakers in my kitchen, (one of my fave things really ) as apparently he really liked the Luau. Bob could not have been nicer - just such great guys, very much worth the long drive out to Whittier.

Bob also mentioned quite a few of you tikicentral folks, (gecko, bamboo Ben...)very affectionately.

So... that's it for me... hi everybody!

[ Edited by: tikisuz 2006-04-24 22:04 ]

On 2006-04-24 21:31, tikisuz wrote:
Went to many a tiki bar here and there, drank underage at a wonderful one called "Joy Island" in Bayside Queens - anyone else remember it/drink there?? Does it still exist?

Suz, Google says that Joy Island in Bayside's still there:

Google Map Link

If you're from that area, do you remember the Baldi Bakery? I miss their sfogliatelle.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten link - 2006-04-27 15:42 ]

Hello to all tiki-heads! I am new to tiki central, so I thought I would introduce myself. I live in Portland, Oregon. I have a tiki bar and lounge and love to entertain. I am looking to meet some tiki-heads in my area.

J

Well let's see. I got interested in the drinks during a trip to the big island in 2002. A couple years later I found a copy of Tiki Road Trip and it's been all downhill since then. Recently I've been mixing like a madman. My favorite books so far are Trader Vic's 1946 Book of Food and Drink and the 1971-2? TV Bartender's guide. I visit the local TVs once in a while and I'm planning a return visit to the Tiki Ti soon. They never seem to be open when I've time to get there. I've been lurking here for a while and learned quite a bit from you all.
-Sam

RB

Welcome pdxsneakytiki! What part of town are you in?

There are a bunch of us tiki-freakis here in the Portland area. Sign up for the mailing list here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6400&forum=4&hilite=NW%20mailing%20list

We try to get together the first Friday of the month for Happy Hour, alternating between the Alibi and the Jasmine Tree.

And of course, there's the big "NW Tiki Kon" in late June: http://nwtiki.com/

:drink:

T

Suz, Google says that Joy Island in Bayside's still there:

Google Map Link

If you're from that area, do you remember the Baldi Bakery? I miss their sfogliatelle.

Holy smoking crap! Thank you!! I can't believe that it is still there!
I didn't live in the area, but my boyfriend at the time did, so I was there quite a bit. I think that I have Joy Island to blame (in part)for my tiki fixation. It was certainly the first place I ever had a scorpion bowl and/or a flaming drink.. or two.

I do remember a good bakery...not the name though. Joy Island was over by the Hebrew National deli and Bayside Appetizers.

Thank you for letting me know! - next time I am on the East Coast visiting family I am going to have to make a side trip and see how the place has held up.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten link - 2006-04-27 15:41 ]

We are planning a "Happy Hour" with a few friends from both within and without the office + my daughter and son-in-law at KON TIKI in Tucson, AZ.
So I thought I'd register - check this place out and say "hello" :wink:

Memorable moments:

Tiki Room at Disneyland

Tiki Appartments on Reseda Blvd (Los Angeles, CA)

South Seas Decorator Supplies in Glendale, CA

The ZDS Motors accross the street from "South Seas" which was their theme.

Trader Vic's in Los Angeles...

So I'm a fan from way back...

lookup cheekyhalf. they are in tucson too.

M

Hello from Bakersfield!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies